1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Correct GPS?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by kevinturcotte, Dec 26, 2009.

1. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Is there anyway to have a GPS address updated? Whenever you put our address into a GPS unit, or ANY online map, it brings it up wrong.

2. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    This could be VERY wrong but I was mulling this over while reading your post, that don't they do this by design? Isn't GPS regulated in some way but the military and they have it that way on purpose?

Again, call be crazy. But I thought I read that some where a few years back.:hurah::eek2::lol:

It is frustrating and stupid also.

3. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    You can go to Navteq's web site and report errors in the map data. They provide the raw data for most of the mapping services and GPS makers. (The other main provider is Tele Atlas.)

Any correction won't actually show up as a map update for at least two years.

I did this for the road in front of my house. Navteq had it as a through route when in fact it was (and is) a dead end. The corrected data was issued about a year ago. But since few people ever update their maps ($$), I can still sit outside on a summer day and watch at least 4 cars a day come down the road, see the dead end sign, stop, look confused, then turn around and leave briskly. It's cheap entertainment. :D

So go ahead and report the problem if you wish. It can't hurt, but it may not help all that much.

Keith

4. Tim Godsil

Tim Godsil Legend

Dec 3, 2007
    not as bad as google earth misspelling the name of my street and listing my adress as a diffrent town

5. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    All right, did that. Thanks!!! Now how do I them update the satellite image of my road? It's only about 10 years old lol

6. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    If you have a Google account you can log in while on maps and submit the revision.
    Right-click the marker for options and choose "Report a Problem".

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    If you're talking about Google, they are constantly doing updates to their satellite picture database as newer information becomes available. But... such images are always at least a year old before they are released publically.

8. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Any idea where they get the information? What company? That's what needs to be updated.

9. HDJulie

HDJulie Icon DBSTalk Club

Aug 10, 2008
    I heard a story at a GIS conference where mashups (putting various data on top of maps) were being discussed, about a small town in Canada, I think, that would take arial photos of their town for their own use & also allowed Google to use them. Naturally, the town would also use Google to look at the data since it was so user friendly. The story was that someone from Google called the town to ask about a new set of photos & the person who answered said they didn't take them anymore -- they got them off of the Google site instead ;-).

My point is -- I think Google gets the data from lots of different places.

10. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    So it's probably not something I could ask to have updated?