1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Cost of service move without Movers Connection?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by mortimer, Dec 22, 2008.

1. mortimer

mortimer Legend

Nov 5, 2007
    Looks like I am going to have to move, after having used the Movers Connection already back in May. I understand that you can only use Movers Connection once every 12 months, and I'm going to call to see if I can get around that restriction. Assuming I don't, is there a set price they'll charge me, or will I be charged based on # of drops, etc? Anyone know what an HD install with 4 DVRs is going to run me?

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    $200, fixed cost. Obviously, any custom work or mounts required will be extra, as always.

3. mortimer

mortimer Legend

Nov 5, 2007
    Excellent. Probably worth it vs. buying my own dish/multiswitch and trying to install it myself :)

4. lamotte

lamotte AllStar

Aug 14, 2008
    when i called them to move mine 3 weeks ago i was told the $200.00 figure also but i told them i thought that was high and told the agent i was thinking that $100.00 would be more fair. i was put on hold for about 4 minutes while we talked to a supervisor and told that was fine with them .

i had a heart cath done earlier that week and there was no way in hell that i would be moving my dish if my wife had anything to say about this. the other good thing to come was they were able to come the very next day which happened to be saturday between 8 to 12. they arrived at 11:58 with only 2 minutes to spare

5. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    And if you've been a good customer for awhile, with many advanced features/packages, good payment history, you very well might get some credits to offset a good chunk of the cost.

Good luck and Merry Christmas!
    Tom

6. bb37

bb37 Godfather

Dec 27, 2007
    I understand that a Movers Connection move restarts your 24-month commitment clock, right?

If you pay for the move yourself, the clock is not restarted, right?

Let's assume that I do most of the install (mount the dish, run the cable, etc.) myself. What's the typical charge to have a tech come out to handle the final aiming if I can't get it aimed myself (assume a Slimline 5 LNB dish)?

7. ziggy29

ziggy29 Icon

Nov 18, 2004
    San Antonio DMA
    I sure wouldn't think it should be if D* isn't subsidizing the cost. Anyone who negotiates some credits or other goodies to their accounts may want to make sure that doesn't reset the commitment clock if that's a concern.

8. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007

movers does not reset the agreement unless you get new equipment like new rcvrs

9. clb4g9

clb4g9 Legend

Sep 23, 2007
    If you can get the dish on a post or mounted with a plumb mast, I can just about guarantee you that you will have the technical/mechanical know-how to get the thing aligned pretty well.....assuming you can lug a TV and receiver out to where you are aligning it. Just go slow and read directions that are in the dish installation manual (available for download at solidsignal).