1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Costco DirecTV offer - sounds strange

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by lifeislife, Feb 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lifeislife

lifeislife Legend

Jul 23, 2004
    Just stopped by a Costco DirecTV kiosk in Sunnyvale today. The sales person seemed to be trying hard to simply sell the service, no matter what question I asked. He was of course pushing the HR21, the "best there is".

Some questions I have about his claims:

1. Signing up with DirecTV from Costco entitles me to 2000 movies from Netflix for FREE, and 4000 others that are at 1.99 (instead of the usual 3.99 or so). Really? Netflix? I could not find much online about this deal/partnership/arrangement.
    2. I absolutely do not need a phone line connected to the box, not even for ordering PPV events. Having a network connection is fine.
    3. The HR21 has a 1TB hard drive. What? 1 TB? I am most certain it is not the case, but hey, he repeated "yes" when I asked "One Tera Byte?".
    4. I can transfer programs from the DVR to a computer and watch them on the computer through some connection options up front.
    5. I can add and drop services without any add/drop charges. He gave me an example of adding HBO just for a weekend and canceling it, thereby getting charged "pro rated" (I put it in quotes because he seemed to tell me that as if I did not understand the meaning of the phrase pro rated ;-) )
    6. I can add external hard drives of any size to increase the capacity of my DVR.

Some of these seem totally wrong, some seem borderline. Can someone educate me about what this person was saying?

BTW, I did sign up for the Plus HD DVR package. 59.99 for 1 year, with HBO/SHO/etc. free for 3 months, $50 Costco card in the mail, $50 Visa card for Auto Pay, $69.99 + tax for the HR21.

So Costco benefits - reduced price for the HR21 (99 online) and the $50 Costco card. Oh, and since I bought a HDTV recently from Costco, I also qualify for a $200 Costco card for also subscribing to DirecTV HD.

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Here's my take:

1.) He's probably pushing a misconstrued lie/truth about Netflix "View Now" on your PC titles. Also, Netflix doesn't charge per title.

2.) You don't ever need a phone line. You can't order PPV by remote, but all PPV can be done online.

3.) Lie...huge lie.

4.) Nope, another lie...well kinda, lol. I think you can do some type of video capture to PC.

5.) Another lie. I think you are charged $10 if you do the "HBO just for a weekend and canceling it" thing.

6.) True.

3. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Those are generally paid 3rd party reps. You should call Costco and let them know about this.

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    It's good that you got the reduced price but the rest of the pitch is pure hooey.

5. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Seems like you got a very nice deal on the stuff, but most of what he told you was a lie. Luckly most of it does not make a HUGE difference and is more stuff that would be nice.

A note on #2, supposedly they are going to start letting you order PPV over the internet connection in the future, but as of now they are not.

6. richlife

richlife Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2006
    What a load of crap! I think you should send a copy of this forum entry to the Costco store manage, Costco headquarters and to DirecTV. DirecTV will suffer the most from these lies as customers sold this bill of lies will complain that "they were told"...

7. lifeislife

lifeislife Legend

Jul 23, 2004
    --> So can I view Netflix 'View Now' on DirecTV for free?

8. lifeislife

lifeislife Legend

Jul 23, 2004
    I do want to send this to someone at Costco because their good reputation is at stake. I usually think Costco does the screening and provides its members a good deal for a good product. In this case, this guy (I have his ID and phone number) seems to be throwing crap just to get people to buy the HD DVR :)

In fact he kept telling people how Comcast was all lies with their HD ads showing more HD than satellite. Of course, I did not want to argue with him too much in front of a few other people but he does need to be corrected.

Anyone know the best place to send this at DirecTV? (I will find the appropriate Costco contact myself)

9. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Two out of six is hitting .333, that's better than some of the salesmen I have run into.

10. willardcpa

willardcpa Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    Well, you are batting .0000:eek2:
    The salesman got him to sign up - that's 1.0000, and as far as the salesman is concerned its the only average that counts!!:D
    And he'll be able to sleep tonight, as he only had to tell four "what's it gonna take to sell this guy" versions to move the unit.;)

11. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    You're right, I missed the fact that he made the sale.

12. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    It's been there for a few months, on the HR20 at least.

13. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    No idea. I would think you'd get some sort of paperwork for this.

Actually true. Everything can be done via an Internet connection, including PPV ordering.

No.

This was shown at CES but no word on when it will be available. It will be an extension on the Media Share. But it's not even in CE testing right now.

Used to but not anymore. You have to keep a premium for 30 days or you'll get charged a change fee.

Very true. Just get an eSata drive, plug it in, reboot and you're done. It does *replace* your internal drive however, it's not additive.

14. JDubbs413

JDubbs413 Icon

Sep 4, 2007
    I know you can order PPV using the remote if you have a network connection on the HR20-700 at least. Not sure about the HR21.

15. azjerry

azjerry AllStar

Jan 13, 2008
    So what size internal drive does an HR2x-xxx have? (HR21-200 in my case)

16. Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2006
    Except that if you contact DIRECTV there is not much that can be done, since this is a retailer - what exactly are you wanting done about it?

I can understand being loyal to a place, but not making a complaint about a salesman who makes outrageous lies? Come on...

17. lifeislife

lifeislife Legend

Jul 23, 2004
    I can contact, and will definitely contact DirecTV, but for some strange reason I have come to expect blatant lies from television and cell phone service providers. Not sure what, but there is a sensation at the back of my mind which tells me that the salesperson is not telling me the complete truth, if not blatant lies.

But Costco on the other hand, I have come to trust. The quality of the goods they keep, their customer service, their customer-friendly features (extending warranty on electronics for 1 year for free, for example) and I would not want them to be associated with such rogue salespeople.

I was almost certain I was going to sign up with DirecTV before I went to Costco (just wanted to get any extra promotion that Costco could have been running, which it was). But I saw an innocent couple in front of me who were told 'yes' to pretty much everything they were asking, and I felt a bit sorry for them. I did not want to intrude, and I did not hear what kind of questions they were asking, but he was simply telling yes and was ready to shove the sign up form in front of them.

I want to write to Costco too, because their good reputation is at stake. That's all.

18. slimline

slimline Legend

Oct 29, 2007
    im sure its been approved by dtv co-op ...........

19. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    The hard drive in the HR21 is, I believe, 320 GBs (Far cry from 1 TB).
    Also, phone line is not required for anything, UNLESS you want Caller ID on screen (On screen pop-up showing person's name and number).
    His answer to # 4 isn't entirely false, but close enough. If you have (Or purchase) a capture card for your computer, you can transfer shows over to the computer. However, it's going to have to be converted to analog first (No digital INPUTS that I know of), and has to be done in real time.

20. somekevinguy

somekevinguy Legend

Jan 7, 2008
    The normal price for the HR21 at Costco is $169 on the shelf. How did they work the $100 discount? Did they ring you up there or did you get a special ticket to pay for it up front or what?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.