1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Costco HR-20 700

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ogreen, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ogreen

ogreen Cool Member

Jul 28, 2007
    I got hooked up with D* about 2 months ago. I have a HR-20 100 and 3 standard receivers. I want to add another HR-20 since I am about to buy a plasma for our study. Can I just buy the HR-20 at Costco ($269.99) and call D* and have the activate it and then send back the standard receiver?

Thanks in advance,
    OG

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Yes...

The HR20 will still be a lease though

3. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    Yes you can, but you might want to try going through D* first, because depending on a number of circumstances, you may be able to do better with D* price-wise.

4. ogreen

ogreen Cool Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Understand...

But I dont think there is any kind of deal out there since I already got the 1st HR-20 with the $100 off rebate.

5. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Do you already have a multiswitch and does the basic receiver have 2 lines coming in? Going thru D* gets free install.

6. ChicagoTC

ChicagoTC Legend

Sep 13, 2007
    Is this an in store offer only? I've gotten to the point where I only go into stores as a last resort and I don't see it on Costco's site.

7. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    It could be in-store only. There's a D* "desk" in the store here, so maybe they prefer you deal with their sales reps in-store rather than just ordering online.

8. sadude39

sadude39 Cool Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Our Costco had the HR-20-700 until just recently, but then they disappeared from the shelves. The guys working that department said that Directv told the store to send all of them back and stop selling them. He had no information as to why. I did see our Best Buy selling them the other day, so I am not sure if the $269 price at Costco was the problem or what.

9. ChicagoTC

ChicagoTC Legend

Sep 13, 2007
    Maybe they also pulled them from their site. I know solidsignal has them for $289 and I need some new splitters and an OTA amp as well. I'll probably just order from them as I've already done the discounted H20 route with my 1st one.

10. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    In general, Costco's website and in-store offerings typically differ substantially.

Also, in-store availability of HR20 appears to be regional. I have never seen any DirecTV equipment at our local Costcos.

11. ogreen

ogreen Cool Member

Jul 28, 2007
    I do have a 4x8 multi switch. I prewired our house with 2 RG-6 lines to each TV just for this very purpose. I will have to run another (like I did for my 1st HR-20) for OTA.

I found the HR-20 700 at a local Costco. They had about 10 or so. There is a sign stating that you have to sign up for 2 years. No bid deal for me since I already agreed to that a couple of months ago.

12. Janice805

Janice805 Legend

Nov 26, 2005
    I recently purchased my latest HR20-700 from Costco (the store), but have never seen them offerred at Costco "online". Costco, the store (for me) has always beaten DTV's prices. I've always received better prices from Costco, and, I have 6 months in which to return it if it becomes defective. DTV doesn't like that :)

13. farjo08

farjo08 AllStar

Oct 17, 2006
    Maybe this information is available elsewhere, but can you explain (or point me in the right direction) as to why if you buy a receiver from a retailer it's still a lease? To me that just seems wrong. I can understand getting it from DTV, especially if it costs nothing, but if one were to pay 300 or so for a receiver, why is it a lease, where as far as I understand, DTV can reclaim. Just doesn't make sense.

The main reason I am asking is currently I have 4 recieivers: HR20-700, HR10-250, SAT-T60 and a FIRST gen RCA. The RCA is in my basement which I rarely use, but for 4.99 a month it's worth it. I am considering upgrading the RCA to an R15 but I just don't get if I "pay" for a receiver, how they can "lease" and possibly reclaim it.

I did make sure when I got the HR20 that I own it, and it's not a lease.

14. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    For those that have seen them in the stores, are they always near the cell phone vendor? I ask because I think its the vendor who actually carries them, not costco. Costco, however, will warranty anything sold in its stores though. That might explain the fact that some stores have them and others don't.

Also explains why the one by my house had them marked down 100$ for about 2 weeks. No one else I talked to saw that mark down.

15. cody21

cody21 Icon

Sep 26, 2007
    The standard 4x8 switch won't work with the HR20-xxxx .... You need the Zinwell 6x8 Switch - if you are installing a Multiswitch. Do a search in the FAQs for the requirements associated with the HR series.

16. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    Its only a pre-order, but I see solidsignal has the HR21 for order. Same price as the HR20.

17. NCMAT

NCMAT Godfather

Feb 12, 2007
    I have always seen them near the TV's. The cell phone kiosk is usually back near the office supplies. I bought one of mine there several months ago and never had to talk to the kiosk guy.

18. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    Do they still? and which location?

19. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    No, I went in today and the guy at the kiosk said it was a 2week promotion for the new HD channels. IMHO kinda weird since they just started their heavy promotions this week. Store is on 99ave and Mcdowell.

20. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    Darn! For $169 I'd HAVE to pick up another.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.