1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could my new Apartment complex stop me from installing DirecTV?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by lee78221, Mar 23, 2009.

1. lee78221

lee78221 Godfather

Sep 25, 2007
    So I'm moving April 5th to new Apartment(Duplex). I've asked and they said no DirecTV but I'm thinking of the otard and if that can help.

it's a ground level Duplex and it does have a yard, So I'm thinking of using a tripod and putting the Dish(in the back yard) on it.

If I use a tripod and if it's in the back of the Duplex or on the side, can the otard protect me?

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
    Here is an example Duplex to mine.

Attached Files:

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Have you discussed OTARD with the landlord? It seems if they have said no satellite dishes, you have an uphill battle. The yard is probably not considered an excusive use area, which means you could not put a dish there under OTARD guidelines.

3. jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    Carl is correct, the Dish must be placed in exclusive use are, however, the landlord can't restrict you from placing one in exclusive use area. Typically landlords are retarded about OTARD. They don't know what it is, just get them a print out and speak calmly with them. Usually a resolution can be worked out easily.

4. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    If you can get LOS, you can mount it somewhere on a porch or deck since that's an exclusive use area - just be aware that you shouldn't be using a penetrating mount (you don't want to cause any damage). OTARD also doesn't protect you if the dish is mounted in an exclusive use area but hangs over into an exclusive use area.

If you're just moving into this place you need to ask yourself if you really want to butt heads with the landlord on day one.

5. lee78221

lee78221 Godfather

Sep 25, 2007
    Yes. I'm posting here because I haven't asked.:lol:

I might ask again or ask if I can get the phone number to corporate.

The thing is other renters have dishes, all she told me is as of January 2009 they've asked them to take the dishes down(new owners and all) but as far as I can see no one has.

6. Matman

Matman Legend

Mar 24, 2008
    Having argued OTARD with my homeowners association (who was as anti satellite as they came) I can tell you to do your homework, figure out where you would like to mount it that falls under OTARD rules, and then have a calm discussion. Remember that they are trying to protect property values by keepings things "looking nice" and try to find a common ground.

My association backed down really quick when I showed them the OTARD rules and how the bylaws they were trying to enforce on me were not going to fly if we went to court. I approached in the "friendly neighbor" way of "do we really want to leave ourselves open to lawsuits that it looks like we are going to loose" and it worked wonders. At our last annual meeting someone began squawking about a sat dish her neighbor installed and the board basicially said, "its allowable under law, its installed correctly and neatly, you just need to deal with it."

7. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Cool, just trying to make sure you know what you're getting into. When we're talking about stuff like this I view apartment complexes a little differently than HOAs... if you own the home/condo and the HOA is being stingy about the rules you can fight them using OTARD leaving them with little or no legal recourse. If you rent I think it's a different situation that should be approached a bit more gingerly. Sure, you may be "in the right" if you're following OTARD to the letter, but they can retaliate later with an eviction notice for something seemingly mundane and harmless. Retaliation like this, while likely illegal, is probably common and hard to prove.

Good luck to you in your quest for good TV! :)

8. Tallgntlmn

Tallgntlmn Icon

Jun 7, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    I'd have to find out for sure what the stance is. If they say no, I wouldn't move there. But that's just me.

I have done that in the past. Visited a complex, loved the apartment. Then I found out it faced north. I didn't have my compass on the visit and it was around 1pm. When I went with my compass, I told the agent that I could not rent it unless I could have satellite. The unit had been on the market for a while so they backed down and let me put it in the bushes on the south side. They didn't have to but it was the compromise we agreed on. I had them put it in writing in the lease in case anyone ever said anything.

9. lee78221

lee78221 Godfather

Sep 25, 2007
    True, the people who are moving with me have the same complaint. They say I'm just trying to start trouble where none is. The thing is I've tried to deal with Time Warner Cable for over the past few years and it's been nothing but crap. :nono2: I now have a place where I "can" get DirecTV if I push a little and everyone is telling me to back down.:nono:

I understand what Tallgntlmn is saying but that's not my choice here(I go where we can pay rent).

I'm going to see the new landlady tomorrow and see if we can strike a deal. I wouldn't mine paying some kind of one time fee to get the dish in because this is something I really want.

10. DawgLink

DawgLink Woof Woof Woof

Nov 5, 2006
    Washington, DC
    I know this is a bit old but can I ask what happened?

As a landlord myself, I have gotten into a discussion with someone on this matter. We both agreed that they could put it in the back on a pole but that they had to put everything back the way it was when he left....which he did so we are all happy

11. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I would talk to the other renters with dishes and ask them what followup they have gotten from the apartment owners. And do they (renters) know about OTARD rules?

Also, find out what part of the backyard could be considered exclusive use for you, if any. Do this first, then you have OTARD on your side. :)

12. duffytoo

duffytoo Mentor

Mar 13, 2005
    Lee:

A few years ago (2002 I think) Texas passed legislation that required apartment complexs to allow installation of small dishes. I was an apt. mgr. at the time. I don't know if this applies to an indivdual duplex owned by an individual. There is an Apartment Association in San Antonio. They should be able to answer any question you have. If you can't find their tel number, ask any large apartment complex manager for the number.

13. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Did one in Maryland as an installer,

Apt Mgr:........no dishes! Some of the tennants here are subsidised housing. I don't want no dishes where the evening news can put this project on TV with another welfare scam story. No dishes"

Cx / tennant.......... I am a retired army officer living on a government pension and other investments. I would like DTV here because it is near where I can visit with my son when I come to town and where my grandchildren can watch their shows when they visit. I am willing to pay for all costs. The local cable company does not meet my needs. Can you help?"

Me: "We could put a tripod on the lawn in front of your unit. You open the door and move it out like furniture. The kids might like helping....OK?"

Cx / tennant..."...Go for it"

So we installed the system.........I ran into the man in town and asked how it was working. He reported drug dealing kids damaged his car the second night he was there. Then he left the tripod up one afternoon when he went to the store and it vanished. He said he called, canceled and, because there was a commitment, with the FREE installation he wrote them a check for that. He may use DISH if there is a next time. He ate my charge for the tripod.

Apartments are not the best installation sites.

Joe

14. lee78221

lee78221 Godfather

Sep 25, 2007
    I did the Install anyway. For 10 weeks straight we heard nothing from the Landlord. Just a few days ago we got a letter asking to take the Dish down9 it's on a tripod). Tuesday we are going to the library and printing out the OTARD and giving it to the Landlord. Before We moved in we asked to talk to her supervisor, The Landlord kept giving us the Run-a-round and giving us fake numbers So we said "**** it" and we did an install that Sunday.

No way are we going back to Cable(I use DirecTV2PC and MRV to much).

If we do go the OTARD Way we might have to make some changes to the install.

15. lee78221

lee78221 Godfather

Sep 25, 2007
    Do you know what Law is that?
    Thanks I will give the Apartment Association in San Antonio a Call.

16. lee78221

lee78221 Godfather

Sep 25, 2007
    We have had no problems with our Dish and anyone trying to take it(Knock on wood):)

17. DawgLink

DawgLink Woof Woof Woof

Nov 5, 2006
    Washington, DC
    First, let me state that I do NOT know the law as well as I should and I could in fact be wrong

But, be sure to read the entire law because I think what everyone is referring to deals with select apartments and not every single apartment in the State.

So, make sure you actually fall into the law and not outside.

18. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    If you meet all the requirements laid out by the OTARD regulations, then the law is on your side. The apartment manager has no choice but to allow you to have a dish.

However...

Don't be surprised if your maintence requests on your apartment take considerably longer to get fixed than others. I'd bet that come the end of your lease they will decline to renew it.

Only you can decide if you want to fight the fight.

19. lee78221

lee78221 Godfather

Sep 25, 2007
    We(I) did call the FCC and they did say we're in the Green to install the dish.

No biggie, I know someone who can fix pretty much anything and doesn't charge the much.

20. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Glad it is working well for you,

Know that most apartment installations are running because many aspects of the DTV installation specification and or local electrical code have been ignored. You are probably not in danger and you system will continue to give good safe service.

Nonetheless, as an example......how far is your dish from the main electrical bond for your building? Does the cable from the dish go anywhere near the electric meter and go through a ground block connected to this bond? How does the cable get from this ground point to your receiver?

There are other technical aspects that could be explored.

Glad it is working in your case.

Apartments are not the best sites for DTV installations even if the druggies leave your dish alone.

Joe