1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

could NOT GET HD extra pack..

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by bjlc, Mar 31, 2013.

1. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    so my 'free trial" of the hd extra pack ended.. and yesterday, I called to try and get it again.. and was told NO.. believe it or not..

2. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Ok

3. jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey Legend

Feb 28, 2008
    why would you call in when you can go online to your account and under premiums it says "0.00 for 3 months"

I've been doing that for 2+ years now. Got the "free trial" then cancelled a day before its up, log into account and boom its back showing as an option

4. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Unless you're on grandfathered old package you can add/remove it no problem, and if you add it again even on the same day you get the free trial again.

5. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    From bjlc's other thread on "How to get more 'hearts'": "I have kept my same service which is total choice plus ( grandfathered)".

6. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Then you will have to call in to add HD Extra Pack, through automated system prompt if it's possible(Not sure I never tried that) Although you can remove it online.

7. Apr 1, 2013 #7 of 47
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    If I'm not mistaken, the OP is complaining he couldnt get the HD Extra Pack for free anymore. Do you really want it, or just if you can get it for free?

8. Apr 1, 2013 #8 of 47
    paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    Why would anyone worry about the cost of a package that is only $4.99 a month?

9. Apr 1, 2013 #9 of 47
    JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    I think he wants it for free.

10. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    actually I posted this as a courtesy to the forum.. because various members "brag" about getting the pack for free.. and other posters saying that the practice is going to stop.. so I just thought I was doing the forum a favor.. silly me..

11. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    this does add up to just less then $60 per year.. for some that's not a lot of money.. for others it is..

12. philtec

philtec Cool Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Phila PA
    I just signed up online for this free package. Thanks for the info.
    Can I cancel online or do I have to call to cancel just before my 3 months are up???

13. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    Cancel online. Then go to another page and then back and you can re-add it for 3 months at $0.00.

14. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    I dont understand why directv still charges extra $4.99 a month for these channels? verizon has some of them in the ultimate pack at no extra charge. I think verizon is getting the sony channel soon but of course we dont have the audience, or short films either.. But we do have smithsonian ,palladia,i forget what else is in the hd pack, but i just feel they shouldnt charge extra for these.

15. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    How much is the Verizon ultimate pack?

16. DIELES

DIELES New Member

Apr 28, 2006
    My free trial ended in Feb and have been trying to activate the 3 months free ever since then online but get a message that an error had occurred in the system and I need to call in to activate. Anybody else have this?

17. kayleighx

kayleighx New Member

Apr 1, 2013
    really???!!! i'm going to try this. Thanks!!:D

18. sliderbob

sliderbob Legend

Aug 9, 2007
    Dish has a similar package, but it's $10/month

19. bjlc

bjlc Icon

Aug 20, 2004
    I happen to call D* today.. and still couldn't get the free pack.. and I still wonder why its just not part of the regular HD package..

20. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    The only way to get the free trial multiple times is to call and cancel BEFORE the free trial expires. Since according to your previous posts it already expired, the only way to get the package now is to pay for it. Officially you're not even supposed to get the trial multiple times, but a known loophole that has yet to be closed allows you to get it again via DirecTV's website, if you cancel before the trial expires.

The main reason why they aren't part of the regular package is because they either do not have an SD version (HDNet Movies, MGM HD, Palladia, ShortsHD, Sony Movie Channel, Universal HD) or DirecTV only carries them in HD (Crime and Investigation, Hallmark Movie Channel, Smithsonian).

The few HD only channels that are available in the regular packages like Velocity and AXS are a result of contracts. I don't know the full story on why Velocity is unique (probably related to the old Discovery HD Theater days when it was a bonus that came with the rest of Discovery's channels which didn't have their own HD feeds at the time) As for AXS, the original plan was to move HDNet to HD Extra too, but they fought back and came to agreement that just had HDNet Movies move.