1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Could this kill DVD's & Blu-ray?

Discussion in 'IPTV and Internet Video Delivery' started by Cholly, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule!

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
  2. kfcrosby

kfcrosby Godfather

Dec 17, 2006
    Memphis, TN
    I've heard this for awhile now.

This will work WHEN:

Real unlimited high quality broadband service becomes available and or Fiber to the Home (FTTH) becomes a reality for more than just a small percentage of us.

3. Shaqdan

Shaqdan Legend

Jan 23, 2009
    no

4. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    I saw articles about a similar device for CDs back in the 90s. It was going to revolutionize record stores. They wouldn't have to keep any inventory at all, just a highspeed CD burner, color laser printer for cover art, and broadband internet access, back in the days when all of these things were very expensive, if available at all.

5. tcusta00

tcusta00 New Member

Dec 31, 2007
    I think you may have misread the article. The only place that needs high speed internet is the kiosk, not the customer's home.

And digital music players have all but killed CDs.

6. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    It will change the DVD rental market, but not kill the DVD to own market.

Cheers,
    Tom

7. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 DIRECTV A-Team

Jul 28, 2004
    Agree.

Not new, and not likely for some time.

8. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    Actually, it was efficient compression codecs permitting a CD to be ripped into a file about a tenth as big as the raw audio. Then storage became inexpensive and physically small enough to make a digital music player a feasible device. Once there was a large enough user base, a market niche for selling the digital music directly developed.

But it all goes back to the codec. MP3 killed CDs, not the iPod. And MP4 will probably kill DVDs.

9. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Two entirely different markets.

People wanted more portability for their music and the MP3 allowed for smaller electronic devices that no longer had to be sized to play larger media.

To enjoy video you want bigger screens... and if you have a bigger screen, then there's no distinct advantage to having the smaller media to play it on.

Videos don't need to be as portable as music has needed to be for most people's desired method of enjoyment.

Sure, portable digital video players are popular... but not instead of a big screen TV... rather in addition to it.

I can see the digital copy gaining steam with purchase of media for home use... but not digital copy only.

10. tcusta00

tcusta00 New Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Oh jeez guys, it's semantics. The physical CD was killed by the ability to get that music digitally and put it directly on the device to play it. :rolleyes:

Much like this thread is discussing an article referring to whether the physical DVD/BRD will be killed by the ability to put that directly on the device that plays it.

The hair splitting room is down the hall to the left.

11. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    ...and yet they are still selling millions of CD's....

Long live Blu Ray. :D

12. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    +1 I love my Blu-Ray discs!

13. tcusta00

tcusta00 New Member

Dec 31, 2007
  14. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I think Tweeting and text messaging will kill the need for spoken language.

In the future people will no longer speak and will begin being born with additional fingers to enhance the typing process.

15. elaclair

elaclair Rescued Racers Live Here

Jun 18, 2004
    Del Mar, CA
    Oh Stewart, now that's just silly. You KNOW it will be a Cerebral Wi-Fi implant that will "type" by thought alone. Finger typing? That is just SOOO last century.....:D

16. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........ DBSTalk Club

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Unless I can store the movies at the house, then it is not going to replace my dvds. How many terabyte drives will I need to store all those movies in HD?

17. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    My van has a DVD player (the next might have a BD player, who knows.) Optical portability and delivery ain't dead. And likely won't be until they figure out how to let me play a digital copy anywhere I can today--including loaning out the copy to a friend or family member. Or take a BD to a movie watching party.

Cheers,
    Tom

18. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    What *could* replace Blu ray in the near future could be SD-RAM type delivery.

If the prices on those come down, they could rival the 50GB Blu ray discs and be used to store the same already digital copy of movies... Prices are too high right now, but it would be smaller/easier to store and would still satisfy the physical copy that most of us want.

I could go that way if the future does... but I don't like the idea (don't like it already with music) of buying only a digital copy that I'm then responsible for storing somewhere that doesn't get erased or deleted... I take care of CDs/DVDs/Blu so they practically last forever... but any digital-only copy only lasts as long as your hard drive (or you have to keep backing it up) unless you burn it to a disc yourself... and if you burn it to a disc, you'd be better off buying it that way to begin with.

19. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Exactly - CD's will still be the "majority" media for another year or two over downloads...but like every other "tech advance"...it will phase out over time.

Right now...they still do sell alot of CD's - not everyone has bought into the download concept.

The same will likely hold true for DVD and Blu Ray media.

20. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    This will happen once the industry is satisfied that each copy purchased is only being used in one place at one time. With physical discs that are "difficult" to copy, this satisfies that need. With a downloadable digital copy, for now, it seems the only way to handle this is by tying it to a single device. The solution to me seems quite simple. Just encode personally identifiable information about the purchaser into the digital copy. This way, if it gets copied, then the first generation owner can be identified and prosecuted. I know some downloadable software does this and it seems to work quite well.