1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

could this sat. coax connection cause poor PQ?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by iluvtv, Sep 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iluvtv

iluvtv Legend

Sep 29, 2005
    i just hooked up dtv using a samsung h10 ird, i was busy when i hooked it up so the dish mounting was a slap dab job that i plan on fixing soon, i'll need to have a run of approx 100' of rg6 coax (when i do it right, hope thats not to long) as there is one big muther of a tree in the way so i will have to mount the dish on the other side of it, anyways back to my main topic, when i quickly set up my dish i had two pieces of coax each approx. 10' so i joined them together with a coax adapter, a small inch long piece that you screw coax into from both ends, now i get a decent signal strength of anywhere from 67 up to 92 depending on the transponder, now does the fact that i get a decent signal mean the picture quality is as good as its going to get or could the fact there joined like that cause any sort of picture interference etc., thanks.

2. n8dagr8

n8dagr8 Resident Rounder DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 14, 2004
    You should see a better picture with a single run of RG6.

100' shouldn't be too long.

3. iluvtv

iluvtv Legend

Sep 29, 2005
    ok, thanks for the info, i plan on getting this right soon as i have a bit more free time now.

4. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    If its coming in and not breaking up, which is usually a signal somewhere in teh mid 30's or so IIRC, its as good as it gets. remember this is digital, a stronger signal just means it will be watchable a little longer when bad weather moves in. PQ at a signal of 65 will look absolutely no different than the PQ at 95...

5. greywolf

greywolf DBSTalk Club Member

Jul 13, 2005
    It's absolutely a fact that there is no quality difference until breakup with a digital signal. My experience is that breakup starts happening in the 50s.

6. n8dagr8

n8dagr8 Resident Rounder DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 14, 2004
    thanks for catching me guys. I was wrong.....

but

you will have better results with a single run at that length...I tried to connect 2 20' pieces for an OTA antenna and the connector was killing the signal....single run and it was all good.

7. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    What type of connection do you have to the TV ? Your connection from the receiver to the TV affects the picture quality more than the connection from the dish to the receiver. What is wrong with your picture?

8. iluvtv

iluvtv Legend

Sep 29, 2005
    i'm using component and also have s-video connected as well, with sd programs i don't see much difference in PQ between s-video on my video1 channel or when i switch to component on my hd1 channel (think i prefer component on hd1 channel with res set at 480), i've tried switching from 480 to 1080 and still not a real noticable difference, hd pq is fine its the sd that i was trying to see if the coax connection could be affecting as it very poor compared to my expressvu hd box, dtv sd is very fuzzy but i guess thats just because of all the compression, i did have dishnetwork for awhile as well and found their sd PQ to be better than dtv, my son is coming home for thankgiving (canadian) next week, he has a set of monster component cables i'll see if they make any difference over the cheapo's i'm using, thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.