1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

could this work

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by lamotte, Dec 29, 2008.

1. lamotte

lamotte AllStar

Aug 14, 2008
    a month ago i had a swm installed as part of the dishmovers package and they used the current cable wires running into my living room . would like to run new dual rg-6 under my floor and also use attach a single line of cable for my locals. as comcast is charging me 42.00 a month for my high speed internet & and basic cable channels 2 -23 also.

running all new lines to a central port in basement with my pi also so i can have locals and two lines to each room if needed. i also have a r 22-100 in my bedroom. leaving one line on each one in case i would like to use it for a additional receiver later on. thinking i would never have more than four receiver going it any one time

2. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    I am a little confused. When you say locals, are you referring to Over The Air Locals. if so, they should not be run on the same line as the Directv signal. You should use a separate system for those locals.

3. lamotte

lamotte AllStar

Aug 14, 2008
    yes that would be one cable line from the cable company and dual rg 6 for directv. in the past i have had a hr 20-700 and r 15-500 in the same equipment cabinet going to my new def with a third 15 in the spare bedroom. also if necessary i have a sw 8 switch to use if needed

4. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    with a swm, you only need one line for each directv RCVR. dual would just be a backup line.
    remember with a swm you have 8 tuners max. that means tuners, not rcvrs a dvr is 2 tuners

you can use the two Legacy ports on the external SWM to get signal to the R15