1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could use some expert opions on Dish install

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by rk05, Dec 20, 2011.

1. rk05

rk05 New Member

Dec 20, 2011
    I currently have a 1000.4 EA Dish Network system with a Duo625 and 211K receivers. I plan on pulling some new RG6 cable along with Cat5E cable to all our bedrooms (3) and would like some advice so I can make the best install for possible future changes. I have a ranch home with two RG6 cables coming into the basement. From there one cable feeds the 211K going up into the attic and then down the wall cavity to the receiver. The other cable goes into a DBD2 diplexer which then goes into a triplexer to feed the duo625 (in basement) which I believe then back feeds into the DBD2 to feed the TV2 which is in my sons room.

I would like to add an OTA feed from an antena to be located in the attic to potentaly be able to feed any TV in the house. What would be the best way to feed up to four TV's if we were to add other receivers later? Would like to have "home run" lines running from a central location in the basement to the receivers.

I know I will need some more diplexers just not sure where to add in the signal for the OTA as well?

If I have left out something just ask.

Thanks!

2. davejacobson

davejacobson Legend

Mar 14, 2005
    With over the air needed I would put 2 RG6 cables to all the jacks of course home run to a central location. You could get by with one cable but combining and separating signals could lead to problems. If the walls are open put another cable in is my rule of thumb.Cat 5 or 6 home run for internet.The wireless adapters work but there again wireless is for convenience not reliability. Run an extra cat 5 if you want phone also. The caller ID on the receivers is great for call screening.

3. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Have to ask rk, do you mean a 622 receiver? You listed a 625 which does not have ota, nor will work with the EA setup you state you are using.

4. rk05

rk05 New Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Dave, the walls are not open I am going to have to fish through to get the cables in. I have no problem with running diplexers to save on pulling the extra cable especially since I don't have as much of that as I do the Cat5. I do plan on installing two Cat5 ports though.

Garys, it may be the 622. I know its a duo DVR but I don't plan on running the OTA through the receivers. Its more for if the Dish signal goes out we have something to watch through the TV.

If I run everything from a central location and plan to use one cable for OTA/Sat would I be better off buying a switch? Can I put OTA into say a dpp44 switch?

5. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    A 625 won't work on the Eastern Arc so it better be a 622. None of DISH's switches support OTA they only support DISH signals.

6. rk05

rk05 New Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Boba, I just did some searching and found that out as well. Would a dpp44 be a good item to have for possible future upgrades? I know I would have to use a splitter for the OTA to go into a diplexer After a dpp44 and then another diplexer on the receiver end.

My vision was to have a spot on my basement wall that had my phone line/DSL modem, router, OTA and Satellite all in one spot. Then feed the house from there.

Since my OTA antena will be in the attic I was thinking on using one cable to run it down into the basement then buy a 4 way splitter to join up with the Sat using diplexers. Sound good?

BTW, would I only have two LNB's since I have only two cables coming into the house or does the 1000.4 have a switch built in?

Thanks

7. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Again you could search for the answer on the 1000.4, yes it does have a switch built in. You are looking at 3 satellites so you have 3"LNBs" and you would need a 3rd cable run in from the dish if you ever need a switch. Run your single cable from the attic antenna to the basement, then see what you get for pictures/signals before you worry about splitting. A 4 way signal splitter will reduce signal at each location by 1/4th or greater so you may only want to run OTA to one main TV for when you lose satellite signal.:):):)

8. rk05

rk05 New Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Did some more research and understand why I need the extra cable to satellite if I were to add a DPP44.

I guess I'll also need to measure out my loss for the OTA with/with out a splitter to see if i have enough signal to go to all TV's.

I just bought a pack of 5 DPD2's off Ebay so I may not need them depending on signal strength.

Thanks for the help/advice!