1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could You Live Without Sat/Cable

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Scarpad, May 22, 2006.

Could you live without satellite/cable?

Poll closed Mar 2, 2017.
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  2. No

134 vote(s)
    99.3%
  1. Scarpad

Scarpad Legend

May 22, 2006
    I've Considered this the Last Few Months

My Comcast Bill With Internet is over $200, of course I have Great HD and All, but I've gone Ahead and ordered a H15 and am Considering Going with Just SD Total Choice and HBO. The other Option is to go to Basic 12 channel Cable for $6.43 a month but can I DO IT !!!!!! No Red Sox, and those Great Cable Series ...Sopranos , Deadwood
    Rescue Me. Sure I Can Get the DVD's but its a 2 year Wait! Could You Do it ?

2. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    No, only if economic circumstances forced me to and I'd still be jonesin' like a mother#@%^&*.

3. CopyChief

CopyChief Legend

Jan 17, 2005
    I think I could easily go back to having the basic networks, but only if had a better antenna. What I think I'd miss if I gave up satellite most of all is the program guide and DVR capability. Obviously I could get a Tivo or something like that, but then that really adds to the cost of downgrading. It would take quite a while to recoup those costs vs. my satellite bill (I don't have HD or anything, so it's pretty inexpensive, relatively speaking.)

4. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    I have often considered what it would be like to rely on OTA + FTA. For OTA, I've got it better than most, with all the networks, a second PBS, and even a true independent. And that's just in English! With FTA, I'd add about 75 more English channels, although heavy on the news, education, and religion. www.ftalist.com/english.htm

I would miss the constant stream of sports on two dozen channels, and no-brainer movie choices on a dozen more. But I think I could try it.

However, I'm not the only one in the house. The wife (She Who Must Be Obeyed) says that AT180 is a Necessity, and I'm okay with that. And the Discovery channels and kids channels are great for our son. So the answer is, I think I could do it, but I won't any time soon.

5. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    If you have an underused computer, you could get a TV card for under $100. Mine came with the DVR software and Internet-delivered program guide. But that's only if you have the computer time to spare.

6. Art7220

Art7220 Godfather

Feb 4, 2004
    I cut my cable and Dish Network for a while. I'm using the torrent sites to get my fav. shows and so far, it seems to work well.

If you need to save money quickly, this is the best way to do it. But I wouldn't try this without a broadband Net connection.

-A-

7. Scarpad

Scarpad Legend

May 22, 2006

I Considered that as I often will torrent a show if my DVR Screws up, but even with Broadband 5mb DL speed the torrents are dog slow and then I'd have to hook the PC to the TV or Convert to a Mpeg 2 DVD, it's just sort of a hassle.

8. Scarpad

Scarpad Legend

May 22, 2006

I actually have one with a Haupage 150 and a Copy of SageTV that I won. But it's always a constant struggle to keep it running and forget the WAF. A DVR weather its a Tivo , Comcast or D* is alot easier to deal with. I Don't watch alot of current shows but there's a few I Keep up with that I'd miss. DVD's are an option and I have Netflix but it's usually a year to get current

I watch

Prison Break
    Big Love
    Deadwood
    Sopranos
    Dead Zone
    Battlestar Galactica
    The Shield
    Smallville
    Rome
    Bill Maher
    Dr. Who
    Rescue Me
    Thief

A decent size list alot of those shows run in Cycles so often there's alot of hanging about

9. Art7220

Art7220 Godfather

Feb 4, 2004
    Scarpad:

Well I actually have a DVD player that plays Divx files, so I don't have to burn a DVD formatted disk.

The only thing I really had to wait for downloading was the recent WWE PPV. Other than that...

-A-

10. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Moved to our polling forum for featuring on our home page.

Good question. I could probably live without but like CopyChief said earlier, I would miss the DVR and programming guide. I guess when it comes right down to it, there are more important things in life. If I was out of work, my satellite connection would be one of the first to go. I told my wife that if worse comes to worse, my high speed internet connection is the LAST to go. :)

11. olgeezer

olgeezer Guest

Dec 5, 2003
    While I'm considering the Platinum package this fall, my answer is yes I could do without. It's just TV.:D

12. AcuraCL

AcuraCL Godfather

Dec 12, 2005
    Live without it?

Of course. It's not like it's food, air, or shelter.

Try going 2 weeks without it. Goodness, there is music to listen to, games to play, books and magazines to read, DVDs to watch. There is usually a person sitting there next to you that you could actually, you know, talk to.

You'd be amazed how little you miss it.

13. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 16, 2006
    I cant live without cable!!! Help Iam a tv junkie I need a good shrink wrap to help me:ringo:

14. DoyleS

DoyleS Icon

Oct 21, 2002
    El Dorado...
    Networks alone would be fine with me, I can receive all of them OTA with no problems. I'd miss the Shield and Thief (two good FX shows). I am ok with catching Deadwood on DVD, in fact I prefer being able to watch the episodes that way. My wife might miss HGTV, but not much. Maybe I would get caught up on all of the NetFlix movies I haven't watched.

..Doyle

15. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Are we to assume that since you're still alive, she didn't actually hear you say that?

16. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    I have lived without it. When my wife and I moved from New Jersey to Oklahoma, we spent 3-4 months living with some friends and my MIL, and neither has cable. We were reduced to dial up, and then only on a limited schedule. When we got a place of our own, it took about two months more until I could get DirecTV set up at our house.

17. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    :lol:

18. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    Even with an antenna, I'd have to do without PBS and CBS, so I'd have to have lifeline cable to pick up all the broadcast networks. Plus, Sports figures heavily into my viewing habits so SNNY, YES, and ESPN are crucial. I record "The Soup" on E!, Penn & Teller on Showtime, "The Sopranos" on HBO, and lots of other shows that aren't on brdcst. channels, so I can say I feel I get a good value out of my programming subscription. I do buy DVD sets of shows that are important to me, but I don't feel that way about every show I watch. I think the DVR is key because it allows me to watch what I want when I want.

19. bavaria72

bavaria72 I am one too! DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Texas
    I would miss my F-1 but I could survive on OTA HD......(tough life). Of course my children would cut their throats.....

20. Hound

Hound Icon

Mar 20, 2005
    OTA works great for me. But I need cable and satellite to watch baseball and
    basketball.