1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

counting

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by dobok, Jun 18, 2013.

1. dobok

dobok Mentor

Feb 7, 2010
    My brother in law and myself have been with D for a couple of years now. He is thinking about getting the Genie soon. He says that since he has only 2 hrs right now and he adds a Genie receiver he doesn't have to change his swm8 or anything at all. I said as far as I know he will have too many receivers for the swm8 and needs to go to a swm16 so that all of them will work properly. I bet him a nice steak dinner and some cold ones. So who is doing the cooking---Him or Me !!!!

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    your brother is doing the coking and owns be a cold one for confirming it. you will have 9 tuners and the SWM8 only handles 8

3. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Although, he could set one of his old hrs to use only one tuner and then it will work. But I wouldn't mention that. ;)

4. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Is he planning on swapping one HR for the Genie to end up with one HR2x and one HRx4? In the end, it depends on the tuner count. Genie's have 5 tuners and all other HD DVR's have 2.

5. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Is he planning on swapping one HR for the Genie to end up with one HR2x and one HRx4? In the end, it depends on the tuner count. Genie's have 5 tuners and all other HD DVR's have 2.

The OP states he will be addidng a Genie

6. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Won't the Genie auto-configure to 4 tuners, in that case? Assuming it powers-up last?

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Yes, but I wouldn't keep it that way, there might be another time it takes all 5. Of the "bad" options, setting a DVR to single tuner is the best of them.

8. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Adding a Genie to the setup could mean replacing one HD DVR with the Genie, just looking for clarification since there's a bet on the line. ;)

9. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    This is the key point. One Genie (5 tuners) plus two HR2x (at 2 tuners each) equals 9 tuners, too much for the SWM8.

But, if he replaces one of the HR's with a Genie (or both of them for that matter with a Genie and a client), then he's good to go with the SWM8.

Or, as was noted, he could run one (or both) of the HR2x units in single tuner mode.

So it sounds to me like you should both go shopping, pick up some nice steaks, a couple of six packs, split the bill, and go home and fire up the BBQ. There are no losers in that outcome!

10. dobok

dobok Mentor

Feb 7, 2010
    No ---Don't tell me that-LOL----My brother -in-law said he was adding a genie. 5+2+2=9 tuners= Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh---I WIN !!!
    I will have mine Medium well with mushrooms and a cold one. Thanks Guys

11. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    No ---Don't tell me that-LOL----My brother -in-law said he was adding a genie. 5+2+2=9 tuners= Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh---I WIN !!!
    I will have mine Medium well with mushrooms and a cold one. Thanks Guys

Since I broke it to you, you own me a cold one... :rolling:

12. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    PLEASE DON'T KILL IT TWICE!!!!!