1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

couple beginner receiver questions (HR24)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by byrd, Sep 2, 2010.

1. byrd

byrd Legend

Apr 29, 2009
    So I just activated my second HR24 last evening. I'm slowly trying to adjust myself away from the old DTivo interface that we've been accustomed to for the past 8 years, and I have few basic questions about the D* receivers/interface that I thought folks around here could probably help with.

1) When Double Play is active, is there anyway to see what is playing on the other tuner without having to actually switch over to the other tuner? On the Tivo interface, you could hit the Info button and swap the info displayed between the 2 tuners.

2) Is there any way to leave Double Dlay on permanently? What's the rational for turning it off anyway? All the Double Play pop-ups are a bit annoying. If Double Play is not active, is there at least always a buffer active on the currently viewed channel?

3) When I press the Power button on the remote, all the lights on the HR24 go out. What state is the receiver in at that point? Is it just in a low power state and will still continue to record shows, or is it truly off?

4) I know there is no Tivo-"like" wish list on the D* interface, but is there a way to record a specific show across different channels? Or if I want to see episodes on multiple channels, do I need multiple season passes? Seems like some shows in syndication have different episodes played regularly on different channels.

5) I've read that there are boolean searches that can be done on the D* interfaces that are pretty powerful. Is there any information out there with some examples, tips, etc that may be benificial?

6) What's the season pass limit? I think I read that it's 50 per receiver. Is that correct? I think I'm gonna miss the Tivo "suggestions". For shows that we liked, but didn't see as overly important, we simply gave them a few thumbs up, and Tivo would tape them as time allowed. Then there was always a stock of good stuff in the suggestions folder. Now I feel like I'm creating season passes for everything under the sun.

All in all, so far, I'm pretty happy after the change over. There are a few things that I'll certainly miss on the Tivo interface, but in general, I think most of the really important details have been integrated in some fashion into the D* interface (most importantly DLB and MRV). I do think the Tivo interface was a bit more intuitive, and the D* interface is a bit clunky at times, but I don't think it's anything that I won't get used to after some regular usage. Maybe D* will upgrade their user interface at some point. I think a good HD interface will allow the screen to be utilized a heck of a lot more efficiently.

Thanks in advance for all the help!! :)

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    1) Unfortunately, No.
    2) No. The reason it is not left on is so that the unit can do "housekeeping" activities.
    3) Using the "Pwr" button puts the unit in standby mode, when the lights are out, or brings it out of standby.
    4) If you want to watch the show from multiple channels you have to have a Series Link for each channel. If it's something you want handled like a wishlist then choose "autorecord" when performing a search.
    5) http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=132971&highlight=Boolean
    6) You can only setup 50 Series Links per DVR.

3. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    To expand on Runners excellent post:

2) Unless you have two shows recording, the unit will always buffer the current channel being viewed or the last channel the unit was tuned to when it was placed in standby if Double Play is not active.

3) Yes it will continue to record when in standby.

4. byrd

byrd Legend

Apr 29, 2009
    How is the buffer related to housekeeping? Is the buffer memory space required for those activities? Sounds like they need a little more memory.

What if I was a real couch potato and I sat around all day long running 2 buffers? Would house keeping never get done? Why not do it as a low priority background task, or program the receiver to perform house keeping during periods of low levels of activity? Or have a user defined setting for best house keeping time periods? Or simply turn the buffer off when housekeeping is started and restart the buffer it when completed? They could get rid of all the pop-ups telling me how to active double play all the time, and only have a pop-up come up if a buffer was cut short because of a house keeping event (that would only be needed until the buffer is full again). There seems to be a number of ways handle it rather than turn it off completely.

Oh well. It's a relatively small gripe, and I bet I'm not the first one to whine about it. ;) I'll get over it...

I totally missed the autorecord feature. I'll check this out tonight!

5. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    As part of the "housekeeping" the unit needs to use the unused tuner to do things like get new guide data, get tv mail, look for any possible updates, etc. It is done as a background task already, when no commands come from the remote for X amount of time, but requires the second tuner to carry out some of it's tasks. We've never been told exactly what "housekeeping" entails exactly but we have been told it requires a tuner.

Believe me this was all debated a year or so ago when Double Play came out. It appears that DirecTV is happy with how it works now and will not be changing it.