1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Couple of observations..

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mitchinpa, Mar 12, 2012.

1. mitchinpa

mitchinpa Cool Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Hi folks

Been with Direct for 2 weeks now. Came from Comcast, had Dish Network way back in the day.

I also switched my internet provider after the Direct install. I had to RBR the HR34 to get the system to reconnect to the internet. The CCK by the wireless router responded just fine to the change, but the receiver did not.

I downloaded a VOD movie over the weekend. The movie was 1.5 hours long, and it took less than 40 minutes to complete. I have 12M DSL (actually get 14 down though). One thing I noticed however, while watching the movie, every time the movie came to a "tick" in the status bar, the movie would skip a minute or two ahead. I tried to rewind to see what I missed, but the receiver would never play that skipped part. Happened 4 or 5 times during playback. Was very annoying.

As far as issues with the HR34, the guide was sluggish initially, which from reading on here, was expected. It has since gotten much better. Only quirk I have seen to this point was, while watching a recorded show, I had paused the show, and after a minute or so, the show starting playing again. Only happened once to me at this point.

Overall, I am very happy with the Direct. My first year savings alone will be close to $670, and that's accounting for the $126 I had to pay upfront to go with the HR34.

2. bigtom

bigtom Legend

Jan 23, 2009
    Glad that you are enjoying your new DIRECTV. I too experience the VOD skip issue when playing back on the HR34. I am confident that it will be resolved as DIRECTV has a good track record for updating firmware regularly.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    The latest HR34 software update should solve the skipping issue. Your HR34 should get it within a few days.

4. mitchinpa

mitchinpa Cool Member

Aug 28, 2007
    litzdog911

If you are talking about 0X04CD, I received it early last week, and the VOD issue was from Sunday evening.

5. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
  6. mitchinpa

mitchinpa Cool Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Thanks litzdog911.

Unfortunately running a cat5 line from my office, where my router is, to the hr34 wouldnt be an easy thing to do. I'm not a big user of the ppv option anyways, maybe 2 or 3 times a year, so I'll just wait awhile longer for a fix before ordering again. I do have the premium channels, so I will just have to be patient!