1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cover, Heater, Rain X ?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Fuch, Sep 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fuch

Fuch Cool Member

Jul 27, 2002
    I have a problem in the winter I usually have to get on the roof three or four times to get light snow or ice of my dish. What is my easiest solution.

Thanks Dennis

2. n8dagr8

n8dagr8 Resident Rounder DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 14, 2004
    Someone mentioned WD-40 but since we see snow in the south once ever decade I couldn't really tell you. Search WD-40 and see what you get.

3. in0cul4t1on

in0cul4t1on New Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Assuming you have a Dish 500 you could get a heater for the dish pretty easily. A quick search on google turned up a few results ranging in the price of 50-110$. Rain X is not going to do much since the material is so coarse. And the covers in my opinion don't do anything more than keep the lnb from fading in color. If you are thinking about getting a heater, some of the pricing can get upwards of a 100$ which at the point would make sense just to get the dish mounted closer to the ground (If possible do to Line of Site). I think dish/directv can do reinstall for around 99$. Or you could always head to a local retailer.

Search cirteria I used in google was
    20" SATELLITE DISH HEATER

4. Robert Headley

Robert Headley AllStar

Oct 15, 2004
    I have been told spraying Pam cooking spray on your dish will keep it from accumulating snow.

5. NVBlue

NVBlue Legend

Aug 3, 2005
    I tried a dish cover and had awful results with snow build up. Pam and WD40 attract dirt. If you were to try a spray I would try silicone. But my solution is a black garbage (bin) bag - Hefty is my preferred type. I've used it for several years and it works the best for me. When I start to lose picture all I do is shake the snow off the garbage bag. I live in the Sierras and get 4 to 6 feet (yes - feet!) of snow with each storm. The garbage bag does NOT interfere with the D* dish reception.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.