1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cox Cable News

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by pez2002, Feb 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pez2002

pez2002 Hall Of Fame

Dec 13, 2002
    from dcrtv.com

Cox Bounces Premiums Off Analog - 2/22 - DCRTV hears that subscribers of Fairfax County's Cox cable system are being notified that they will no longer be able to get the Home Box Office, Cinemax, Showtime, and The Movie Channel premium channels via the analog, basic tier. They'll now have to subscribe to the system's digital service. There is a trend among cable systems to move all premium channels to digital, with multiplexed additions, a la HBO Zone, ThrillerMax, and Showtime Beyond.....

2. junki

junki Godfather

Feb 19, 2004
    This has already been done in the Tulsa Cox market because Satellite is so popular.

3. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I hate Cox.

4. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Cox Omaha only has the basic HBO available on the analogue tier. To get all the variations of premium channels you have needed Digital Cable for several years now.

Hey Geronimo, I love Cox. :lol:

5. pez2002

pez2002 Hall Of Fame

Dec 13, 2002
    How dare you say you love cox

For that you should be banned lol

Chill Im kidding

6. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Don't worry, pez, Bogy just spelled it wrong. :eek2: :hurah:

7. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I love mine. :lol:

8. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Actually Bogy my post wasa knee jerk reaction. My local Cox is bad---largely because they bought out Media general of Virginia that had installed a bizarre user hostile system. While things are not perfect with Cox they have made progress and I know that you and some others have had positive experiences with them.

In fact I use them now for the internet and I am largely satisfied. There are outages and it slows down at peak hours but it is much better than it was. In the old days when they were my TV provider there were all kinds of outages that lasted several hours. Now it is far less frequent.

9. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    When I saw the title of this thread, "Cox Cable News", my first thought was 'Oh no, not another cable news channel. Cox is a media giant with not only cable, but newpapers and TV stations all over the place. Although my first impression was a result of my cyclical dream state, such news wouldn't have surprised me at all.

"CCN 24/7"

10. Cyclone

Cyclone Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 1, 2002
    Its funny that you read dcrtv.com up in Philly. Still there are those out there using Analog Descramblers. So moving the premiums to digital is a way to finally put the last nail in that coffin.

11. Mike500

Mike500 Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2002
    Just another way for cable companies to extort customers of more money for services that they don't need. For those with TV's 27 inches and less, analog is OK. Now they must rent the box and keep on paying every month. And, if they want it for more than one TV, they must rent a box for every TV.

This is actually a victory for satellite. For years cable has advertised how you did not need a box for multiple outlets.

12. timf

timf Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 21, 2002
    Moving premium channels off of analog cable is becoming very common with cable companies everywhere. Since people need a cable box to view them anyway, it makes more sense to only have to support the digital boxes and not older analog boxes. Bandwidth is freed up to offer either more digital channels or more basic channels on analog. It also eliminates theft by people who use their own unauthorized descramblers. Overall, this move makes perfect sense, and I don't think it has anything to do with competition from satellite or the cable company being evil.

13. Mike500

Mike500 Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2002
    Keep on moving 'em to digital. They are satellite's best advertising agent, here in Upstate South Carolina. Charter Cable charges $12/month to rent one Motorola Digital Box, here, when you can hook up any TV and get analog. You have to rent it, even when you do not want any other channels than basic cable on analog. That's $52 a month for what is Dish AT60 + Locals for about $31.50 (one box). Now, with the Dish 322, that's two TV's at the same price.

14. DS0816

DS0816 Guest

Mar 29, 2002
    It should be done with all cable systems. The premiums are now in multiscreens, and renting a converter box just for the analog level of premium channels is a waste of money on the cable franchisees. So moving it to digital, to also make way for more nonpremiums to replace whatever premiums were at analog, is what's best for consumers.

15. Mike500

Mike500 Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2002
    You assume that you need a converter for analog. All TV's manufactered in the last 20 years have been cable ready. There is no need to rent a box for basic cable, which is analog.

16. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    My experience is that people who don't feel that digital cable is a service they need, also don't feel that premium channels are something they need either.
    Mike, am I missing something, or isn't that you in the first quote that makes the statement that now people must rent a box for each TV?

You are absolutely right that you don't need a box for basic cable. I have two TVs with basic analog and two with digital boxes and all the premiums. I don't find it necessary to have all the digital channels on every TV.

I have a suspicion is that DBS will not pick up many subs from people who don't want to spend the money for digital cable or premium channels. In many cases these are people who would go back to rabbit ears if things got to complicated. My mother is a case in point. She complained bitterly when her cable company added a bunch of channels and raised her rates a couple of bucks. :sure:

17. Mike500

Mike500 Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2002
    Yeah, Bogy,

A couple of years ago, here, a group of subscribers sued Charter Cable for selling Digital Basic to those people who wanted only Analog Basic, because the company made money from renting the Digital Boxes. The customers complaint was why they were not offered Basic Analog at about $12 per month.

They settled, and now they don't offer Analog Basic, at all. So, you get cable, and a Digital Box that you really don't need, and pay $12 extra each month.

18. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Nothing smarter than a group of consumers ready to sue. :nono2: :grin:

19. Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Yep, too many lawyers in the world...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.