1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cox Cable trying the PR Dance about D* HD announcements

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Albie, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Aug 2, 2007 #1 of 24
    Albie

Albie Godfather

Jan 26, 2007
    This is from the Q & A section of a monthly Cox Cable New Orleans e-mail newsletter titled Digital Dialogue. I use their broadband service which is actually quite good as compared to their horrid cable TV service. I find it amusing how they use truths, sort-of truths, exxagerations and outright disinformation in this.

"I’ve seen some television commercials lately that say satellite offers significantly more high definition channels than cable. Is this true?

Satellite providers may boast large numbers of high-definition (HD) channels, but they are misleading consumers with their calculation of total channels. Here’s how:

They count part-time channels with only a few hours per week (or year) of programming available.

They add in the total number of regional sports networks offered across the country (channels that are not available to consumers beyond the regions in which the local teams play).

They include pay-per-view channels and channels requiring a monthly subscription fee. They even count alternate coast feeds of premium channels like HBO and Showtime.

Individual subscription sports packages total as many as 15 HD channels per package – even though they may only be airing content for 5 percent of the time.

Premium channels like HBO cost as much as $13 more per month on top of the monthly HD fee that’s as high as $20.

Cox will have the most popular HD channels that consumers will want to see as they become available in high definition. And Cox offers a great quality HD picture – better than satellite according to a recent study where satellite TV customers agreed that the cable HD picture was best. Additionally, Cox will soon launch HD Movies On DEMAND* – bringing you a library of hi-def movies to access whenever you want. Satellite TV can’t match that, so don’t believe the hype! Trust Cox for the best high-definition experience available.

*where available"

:rolleyes:

2. Aug 2, 2007 #2 of 24
    bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    I always find this one soooo funny. Using this logic then Cox better now count the following channels in their HD count:

NBC
    ABC
    FOX
    CBS
    CW
    PBS
    ESPN
    ESPN2
    TNT
    HBO
    Showtime
    Cinemax

Should I go on? :hurah: ;)

3. Aug 2, 2007 #3 of 24
    DawgLink

DawgLink Woof Woof Woof

Nov 5, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Cox New Orleans is IMO the worst TV provider in the history of the TV service

4. Aug 2, 2007 #4 of 24
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Albie - I know you didn't write it, so could you post a link to the source...

My comments inline

5. Aug 2, 2007 #5 of 24
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Cox is shooting at an undefined target. Nobody outside DIRECTV really knows for sure what they are going to offer and what they are going to charge long term. A case could be made that not even DIRECTV knows what is going to be available short term.

6. Aug 2, 2007 #6 of 24
    Chuck584

Chuck584 AllStar

Apr 17, 2007
    I'd have to nominate Comcast for the award.

I left them after 30 years on cable for D*.

With the lack of DLB and a nice offer from both TiVo on TiVo HD and Comcast, I thought to give them a chance once again.

The drama involved for a MS Cablecard is, uh, beyond words.

I hope D* realizes how badly they need help on the HR20 and enlist TiVo to heal the box.

Looking over the circuitry in the TiVo HD and reading other's analysis, it looks to be a design with multiple possible applications.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

7. Aug 2, 2007 #7 of 24
    Albie

Albie Godfather

Jan 26, 2007
    Earl, I don't have a link as it was contained in an e-mail newsletter Cox sends out on a monthly basis. I tried to give the appropriate credit/info in my opening explanation. I could try to post the whole newsletter somewhere if anyone could PM me with some ideas.

8. Aug 2, 2007 #8 of 24
    Albie

Albie Godfather

Jan 26, 2007
    Bon they already do include those in their count, just goes to show how they talk out of both sides of their mouth. Funny thing though is here in New Orleans you need to scratch NBC and FOX as they don't carry either affiliate on their system. For full disclosure I must say D* doesn't carry our local Fox affiliate either.

9. Aug 2, 2007 #9 of 24
    Goober

Goober Cool Member

Jun 24, 2007
    I'm a happy D* convert as of two days ago, and I have to give all the credit to Cox. I quit counting the number of times I had called them and had techs and truck rolls to fix the signal quality issues I was having. My house was brand new with new RG-6 wiring, no splitters with direct runs direct from the smart box in our garage. They kept measuring and measuring the signal strength and always said it was fine without addressing the quality issue. It was the same effect as cranking up the volume on a radio station with static. Our neighbors have had issues as well. They just don't get it.

That said, my HR-20 fits nicely where my Series 3 HD Tivo sat (which is too bad since we really liked it), and now I actually get to watch every channel I'm paying for instead of half of them some of the time. Thanks D* - looking forward to mid Sep and D10!

10. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Hmmmm..... You could print it to a PDF

11. Albie

Albie Godfather

Jan 26, 2007
    Thanks Earl. Took me a while, but the attachment is the e-mail from Cox that started this thread.

12. Dolly

Dolly Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Oh great next thing you know Cox will have a lawsuit against D :rolleyes:
    I personally think the cable companies are all jealous of what D can do :yesman:

13. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    757 & 718
    Cable co's are so funny.

here is an article from a few months ago saying how CABLE is TRYING TO HAVE THE BANDWIDTH FOR 50 buy the end of this year, and 100 by 2009, no where close to D*'s (projected) HD capacity. and no where close to Vz's FTTH capacity (B-pon or G-Pon). (b-pon is estimated at 250 or more and g-pon is ???)

but as of today CABLE (this particular cable co) does offer more HD stations than D*(IN DMA #42) but E* and Vz have more.

HD STATIONS
    local--
    ABC-WVEC.(belo)(CABLE, Vz (8-8-07)
    NBC-WAVY.(lin)(CABLE & Vz)
    FOX-WVBY (LIN) (CABLE & Vz)
    CBS-WTKR (???) (CABLE & Vz)
    PBS-WHRO (???) (CABLE & Vz)
    CW-WGNT (CBS CORP) (N/A OTA ONLY)
    MNT-WTVZ (SINCLAIR) (??? AGREEMENT COMPLETED WITH CABLE)

NATIONAL
    ESPN HD (CABLE, Vz D*)
    ESPN2 HD (CABLE, Vz, D*)
    NFL NETWORK (Vz)
    HD NETWORK (Vz, D*)
    HD NET MOVIES (Vz, D*)
    TNT (CABLE, Vz, D*)
    UNIVERSIAL (CABLE, Vz, D*)
    DISCOVERY HD THEATER (CABLE, Vz, D*)
    NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC (CABLE, Vz) (D*currently unavailable 24/7)
    MHD (CABLE, Vz) (D* currently unavailable)
    WEALTH HD (Vz)
    A&E (CABLE)
    MOJO (CABLE)
    FOOD NETWORK HD (Vz)
    HGTV HD (Vz)
    LIFETIME MOVIES HD (Vz)

PREMIUMS---
    HBO (CABLE, Vz, D*)
    MAX (CABLE, Vz)
    STARZ (CABLE, Vz)
    TMC (Vz)
    SHO (CABLE, Vz, D*)

TOTAL NUMBERS BEFORE PREMIUMS--- CABLE 14, Vz 18, D* 7
    TOTAL NUMBERS AFTER PREMIUMS--- CABLE 18. Vz 23, D* 9

NUMBERS AS OF 8-2-07 FOR DMA #42 (NORFOLK, VA)

14. MikeR7

MikeR7 Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    Congrats to Chuck584. He wins the prize as the first person to make my ignore list.

15. aramus8

aramus8 Godfather

Nov 20, 2006
    Its been four years since I tried Cox, but the only thing they had that D* didn't was the snowy analog channels. Do they still run those?

16. Albie

Albie Godfather

Jan 26, 2007
    Oh, I believe Cox has no plans to get rid of those for many years to come. :D

17. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I think they've all demonstrated quite nicely an ability to make amazing claims of what they will be able to deliver. The war of specious claims still rages, but it should end when one of the companies actually delivers substantially on their claims. That hasn't happened yet.

18. 2Guysfootball

2Guysfootball Godfather

Jul 2, 2007
    I took the $$$ Test yesterday. It would cost me $25.00 more a month to get the "same" Channels I get with D* This doesn't included ST or all the RSN. It does have the DVR with it but I would be charged for an another outlet if I want it hooked up in the Bedroom as well.

Thanks Cox but I'll take D* 99.9% on air Rate as opposed to there someone hit a pole three towns over and so your out of luck to watch anything. Which happen four times during last years NFl season to a friend of mine he now plans on coming over every Sunday:)

19. DonCorleone

DonCorleone Icon

Jan 28, 2006
    They even count alternate feeds? Is that not different programming from the East Coast feed? I love the alternate feeds! It comes in extremely helpful when you're already recording 2 things at that time.

20. todbnla

todbnla Legend

Aug 1, 2008
    39466 Deep...
    I don't know I lived on the northshore from Nawlins for 30 years and CHARTER's service is nothing stellar!!! Their latest tactic they use is to try and bill you for a service call, when the issue is outside your home on a line or up on the pole, I kid you not!
    And don't get me started about calling their customer service, ya never know where the other person will answer from. But the best is this and they are claim to be on the leading edge of technology (since one of the big wheels is a former MS person, a "wired world company") you call in and they tell you to call back later because their system is down, come on.. :mad: