1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

crash

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by jpk, Nov 21, 2008.

1. jpk

jpk Mentor

Nov 5, 2008
    My ViP612 has now crashed and rebooted twice. Seems perhaps to coincide with using hold. Symptom: blue screen of death, freeze, reboot. Known bug?

2. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    What does that mean?

3. jpk

jpk Mentor

Nov 5, 2008
    Well, let's see. It could mean (1) my individual box is broken, (2) all such boxes are broken. Does anyone know which is the case? Is the device known to be unreliable?

4. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    My ViP612 is working fine so all such boxes are not broken. Assuming you mean by "hold" the "pause" button, what channels are involved and are you getting locals off the air through your ViP612?

There are some known issues around the ViP612 occasionally locking up while using fast forward, skip, etc. But "pause" is not one I've read about. Also there are some problems related to OTA locals.

You might want to do a hard reboot (unplug the 612 and after 30 seconds plug it back in, and let it do its thing which takes a few minutes).

Also, scan through ViP612 L6.02 Software Experiences/Bugs Discussion and some of the other threads on the 612.

EDIT: I read your other posts, so I know you're familiar with the lockup problems. So if your "pause" problem continues after a hard reboot, call tech support.

5. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    My uncle died after eating carrots, so carrots must be lethal, right?.

6. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Cute. Just where is the "Hold" button on your remote? :rolleyes:

7. jpk

jpk Mentor

Nov 5, 2008
    I notice no pattern of channel for the bug.

I get my locals from the bird not terrestrial.

I also see my ViP6512 freeze for fast forward. But it's not occasionally, it's about every fifth FF on average. However this separate problem doesn't lock and reboot the machine; it freezes and then unfreezes.

I've done a hard reboot. No effect on either problem.

Where's the buglist for this box?

You mention if my "pause" problem continues after a hard reboot, call tech support. I did. They want to send someone out to look at wires and dish. I don't see how wires or dish could affect playback of recorded video, so that seems like a complete waste of time to me, but apparently it's Dish SOP. Since it's their nickel, I will be arranging for that at my convenience.

8. jpk

jpk Mentor

Nov 5, 2008
    The "Hold" button on my remote is generally called "Pause", much as "Random Play" is generally called "Shuffle" on iPod.

9. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    :lol: Sure. :sure:

10. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    See ViP612 Software History. Not as complete as I would like, and also note that reports of bugs are often not followed up by reports of fixes.

11. jpk

jpk Mentor

Nov 5, 2008
    Thanks BobaBird. The bug I'm seeing looks kind of like L702. Except not triggered by channel changes, but rather by hold, jump backward, play. Also there is no workaround, it just crashes and reboots itself. This has happened four times over my two months of ownership so far.

I'm not impressed with this box. Reliability is not negotiable.

12. bartendress

bartendress Godfather

Oct 8, 2007
    :confused:

13. jpk

jpk Mentor

Nov 5, 2008
    Oops, make that L470: Box locks up or freezes, often on channel change.

I am now also noticing random reboots when I'm not even using the box.

14. jpk

jpk Mentor

Nov 5, 2008
    Once I got my events down to the undocumented limit of 200 it may be becoming reliable again. Stay tuned . . .

15. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    How many of your timers are Dish Passes jpk?

16. jpk

jpk Mentor

Nov 5, 2008
    About half of 'em. Here's why. A DirectTiVo Direct Ticket finds the show regardless of time or channel. The Dish DVR timer lacks that functionality; to get it, you have to set up a Dish Pass. So I did.

But I think I know where you're heading on this: a Dish Pass generates more events because it matches more shows. Duplicate events still count against the undocumented limit that comprises this bug. So I converted most of my Dish Passes back to DVR timers.

This was a little difficult because the first several times I did anything at all with timers, the DVR crashed. Yes, it's crashing because you hit an undocumented limit, and now it's crashing because you're trying to implement the workaround.

I'm thoroughly unimpressed with this box so far. It's simply unreliable.

17. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Actually where I was getting at is that the normal purpose of Dish Passes are to be used for finding shows that are related to a Actor or some key word. They are more like what Tivo users call Wish lists (from what I have been told). All and New episodes is what VIP users normally used for series recordings.

The reason I was asking was not due to excessive timer events. 200 timer events is not a lot. From my experience, Dish Passes appear to be more CPU intensive because they obviously have to do more work in terms of timer event management and if you are looking to record a series I would suggest going with ALL or New over a Dish Pass. This is the work around.. not reducing the timer count.

I think there are a few other threads where Tivo Users have used Dish Passes because they thought they were like Season passes and have ran into reliablity issues. I don't think Dish intended people to have a huge amount of Dish Passes and I think this might be what you are running into.

Should the box Crash.. Nope.. If Excessive Dish Passes cause the box to crash then the box should apply a separate limit on the number of Dish Passes one can created.

Your 612 should be able to handle 200 timer events no problem so my guess is the issue lies in the Dish Pass timers.

Of course I can be wrong here.. But that is where I would look first.

18. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    In reading your 16 posts, virtually every one of them has voiced dissatisfaction or otherwise pointed out a problem with your two receivers. You report crashes and other problems that many of us, if not all, are not experiencing.

I frequently run up against the 96 timer limit and I simply receive a screen message advising me of that - no crash or other problem.

What contact with Dish have you had to determine if your two receivers need to be replaced?

19. jpk

jpk Mentor

Nov 5, 2008
    OK, here's an example of how and why I used Dish Passes: Nova. The show airs on three different public TV channels, all locals. They do not all air the same shows. What I want the device to do is record Nova. I do not wish to restrict it to only KQED, KRCB, or KTEH. I want Nova. This is not a wish list, it's not an actor or keyword search. I used it merely because Dish DVR timers can't record across channels.

I have now reduced my timer events to around 200. In the process I have converted most of my Dish Passes to DVR timers. My ViP612 has stopped crashing. so far. Hard to say where the bug is. Dish support says there is no known bug.

I agree that probably the Dish Pass feature was intended to be an exception; it looks like an afterthought. If ordinary Dish DVR timers could record regardless of channel, the same way they record regardless of time, I would use few or no Dish Passes.

Thanks for your help!

20. jpk

jpk Mentor

Nov 5, 2008
    I see other people experiencing the same problems all the time, in the support Forum. Apparently I am not alone.

My box has never advised me of any timer limit. That would be nice. Nor do I see any documented limit. Did I miss that somewhere?

I have contacted Dish several times. Tech support walked me through the diagnostics. They think the hardware is fine. The say the next step is sending out a tech to look at the box, wires, and dish. I have scheduled that Sunday. I predict they'll conclude the box, wires, and dish are all fine, isolating the problem to a bug in Dish's software. Perhaps we can then move forward on the actual problem.

Suppose I can move the box from reliable to unreliable and back by creating then deleting a Dish Pass that matches say all titles that begin with S. Would that convince you that the problem is not a particular box?