1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CSI: Miami "Flight Risk" OAD 3/26/2009 ***SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Tom Robertson, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    OMG(osh)

"Flight Risk" has to be one of the worst CSI episodes ever...

I'm used to certain "What the H" bad acting (and I don't mean H E double hockey sticks...). I'm used to long sequences of HD eye candy (usually Miami cityscapes). I can sometimes handle the real slow sequences concluding as the criminals leave the building.

But this episode not only had more than the normal amount of that crap (like opening slow motion sequences of the CSIs reaching the scene [someone really liked Wolfe today...]); it had horrible storytelling, writing, and the worst technical depictions of an airplane. And the CSIs couldn't seem to process the crime scene to save their jobs.

Minor spoilers:
    1) They didn't interview the crews immediately? Had to pull them back again (and again...)
    2) They didn't interview anyone else on the plane?
    3) They arrested the ground crewman for possession of stolen property? Seems more like theft by conversion--since he was the one stealing.

2. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    Major spoilers:
    • The other passenger(s) in first class didn't notice ANYTHING?
    • Someone would attempt anything in first class with at least one other passenger!?
    • The stalker didn't get a first class seat? He surely qualified for a free upgrade to be closer to her.
    • And how does he find out her schedule? They often don't know their own schedule more than a few days in advance.
    • Flight attendant crews work different schedules than pilots, and typically as a team for 3 to 6 days.
    • The CSIs couldn't embargo the crews from flying (pilots and attendants) until the crime scene was processed (and four times!)
    • Where did they get all the luggage tags? Are they impounding the luggage but not the crew?
    • If Jenna wanted to out the victim, drinking on the flight would have gotten her fired instantly. She didn't need to get her to miss the flight.
    • The romper room wasn't on the plane drawings? Yeah, right...
    • The romper rooms do exist--but they are not the flying palaces shown here. They are just big enough for the second crew to sleep in on international flights. And they are always dark for sleeping. (Now, it might be used for trysts, but without a second crew that is hard to hide as a violation of the rules.)
    I'm sure there is more, but I'm not about to watch it again to find them. Bad enough to think about all these...
    Sigh. And this is sweeps month this year...

3. Reggie3

Reggie3 DBSTalk Club Member

Feb 20, 2006
    There was a Singapore Airlines stewardess and pilot that were fired for exactly that - and they used the lav.

4. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    Was that an international flight? (As in overseas with a second crew?) :)

5. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    That "Miami Airport" scene was actually LAX.

6. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I watched the first 15-20 minutes, then started playing online, I listened to it in the background, but didn't really pay attention. I think I can count the number of really good CSI:Miami episodes on one hand. I have no idea why I continue to watch. I guess I don't have the heart to kill a Bruckheimer drama.

7. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    Agreed,that was not one of their best episodes.
    As far as I know,nobody is supposed to know who the Air Marshall is including the pilot and flight crew !

8. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    That's how I watch all of them.

9. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I'm hoping folks will switch channels and give "Castle" a shot, though I do still record CSI:Miami for some dumb reason.

10. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    I stopped watching about half way thru, I had just lost interest.

11. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Sounds typical for CSI:Miami this year. Writing & acting on this show has set new standards for awful...

I am not sure on this one.

12. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    I knew a guy who was with the service years ago & they are supposed to be completely anonymous.

13. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Someone along the chain has to know since they are able to bring a gun aboard. I wonder how that is done.

I agree with the comments on the show. It was even worse than most of them.

14. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    From speaking with my old neighbor,the flight crews are not supposed to know at all.They usually try to figure out who they are,but they are not allowed to ask anyone on their flight.He joined them right after 9-11.It sounds like a good profession,you always see them looking for applicants here in our local NJ/NY Sunday papers.

But getting back to the show,they need to find some new writers or import them from the NY & LV CSI's.It seems to be getting too soapy ! All this stuff with
    "H",Elizabeth Berkeley & his son.They detract from the main story lines.They need to re-focus on the main story and not all these devious sub plots with his family.
    And,Delko and Callie should just get a motel room !! <lol> I have this sneaking suspicion there's going to some heavy things going down in the last few shows.

PS. And last weeks show was just about as bad.Two half siblings hanging their father at the mother's divorce party, W.T Freak ? It must be a MIAMI thing,divorce parties ! I won't get started on that topic.

15. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    My wife is a federal officer (not an Air Marshal) but is required to "carry" when she travels on business. I do know that she has to show her credentials to the ticketing agent and disclose she is "carrying". The agent then makes some form of notation and then tells her to proceed through a special TSA lane.

On the one flight which we flew together, she was pulled aside by the airline just prior to take off. When I asked her about it, she said that they wanted to confirm where she was sitting and inform her of where the air marshal would be seated.

All of this took place on the ground so while they crew may not have full knowledge, someone on the ground does..

16. CoriBright

CoriBright Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

May 30, 2002
    747-400s have a 'room' in the tail section where long haul cabin crew can sleep, it's got a lot of bunk beds in it. There is also a section in the flight deck with two bunks, where the flight deck crew can sleep while their alternates take over the controls. There is also a separate toilet in the flight deck, so they don't have to exit the deck to 'go'.

And written luggage tags? Humph, mine are printed, as are many I've seen. No hand writing tips there!

17. dbconsultant

dbconsultant Hall Of Fame

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    We've moved Castle above Miami in the priorities list. I told my husband to feel free to delete the timer for Miami after we watched the flight episode. A couple of things that are constantly annoying is the lady that always wears white pants to the crime scene and when we watched her climb the ladder into the "romper room" in those heels - well, the show certainly has no grip on reality does it? Guess we'll keep recording it just because it's "there" but only if there's nothing else preventing it.

18. xmguy

xmguy New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    I've been watching Miami for about 1 year now. I've seen some VERY good episodes. I agree this one wasn't the best. I usually prefer NY.