1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CSR: "50 new national HD channels before new SATs up"

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by CEaton, Feb 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CEaton

CEaton Cool Member

Feb 23, 2007
    So I was on the phone with a CSR today to get an appointment to reaim my dish because I lost my Local HD's we got to talking about how I don't subscribe to the HD package because I only watch the Local HD's as there is very little selection of National HD channels.

I said I was waiting for the new satellites for more HD before I pick up the package, at which time he said the were going to be introducing 50 new HD channels in May-June, before the new Sats I said are they National HD's, which he confirmed, then he asked me if I wanted him to list them, which I declined because I wanted to be off the phone.

Was he full of BS? Has anyone else heard of anything like this?

2. Dalek1963

Dalek1963 Legend

Nov 18, 2006
    Hi,
    I would have to say that the CSR was speculating at best, I haven't heard anything about that.

3. brewer4

brewer4 DBSTalk Club Member

Aug 19, 2006
    BS. Could be June if new sat goes up in May and all goes well but that means 50 based on the new sat.

4. ScoBuck

ScoBuck Banned User

Mar 5, 2006

As much as I would like to see it, I would have to believe it is a very inaccurate statement. DirecTV did allude to the fact that they have what they called 'flexibility' with their current satellite fleet (in statements made right after the SeaLaunch accident last month), but as shown during football season they have to reduce the number of PPV channels, take down TNT-HD, and even channel 101 goes SD to provide the bandwidth for 8 or so additional HD MPEG2 channels for Super Fan.

The intrigue does exist for some additional HD offering IMO however. First off, they have nowhere near used up the capacity of SW1 & 2. I don't know, but there has been from time to time some speculation that they could configure some CONUS spots from these birds. Also, there aren't 50 HD national channels that exist (not counting the many part-time HD that you can find from the RSNs).

It is just possible they would wait for a successful launch of the first of the new birds before they open up some additional HD capacity on SW1 or SW2. If so, then 3-4 months for some new channels would make sense.

5. Alexandrepsf

Alexandrepsf Icon

Oct 26, 2005
    Well, as always shows how they BS us. I talked to one of the CSRs last week and she said BY THE END OF THE YEAR we will have about lots of new HD national channels.

I am more and more frustrated on this way of communication of D*. I do not know why we lose our time calling their service, as it seems that each of them tells us the answer that they want to give.

6. cnmsales

cnmsales Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2007
    I work in the CSR business and I can tell you no matter how you put out the right info and present it in different ways and multiple ways someone always confuses it. Not directv's fault in this case.

7. Dbadone

Dbadone Legend

Nov 9, 2006

Agreed it's much like laws and regulations it's all in how it is interputated. D* has and announced they have 70 signed or in principal commitments with new hd's and I know that they published probably 20 of them on the press release last month. During that press release it also stated by the end of the year. I would believe that and time frame outside by the end of the year that is not given out in a D* press release would be pure speculation.

8. Dolly

Dolly Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    I just hope when D is able to add more HD they remember not all of us can get HD :nono2:

9. jimb726

jimb726 Icon

Jan 9, 2007
    Whay cant you get HD, no HD tv? Just asking.:)

10. ScoBuck

ScoBuck Banned User

Mar 5, 2006
    Seems to me that if they add the content in June, than what you were told is 100% accurate - isn't it? Did you take the CSR's comment to mean it was going to be added on December 31st, 2007? geez.

11. JeffBowser

JeffBowser blah blah blah

Dec 21, 2006
    YOu can still get the channel, it will just have to be downconverted (I assume your statement means you just don't have an HD TV, and don't want to buy one). I do a downconversion in my daughters bedroom, and it lookes better than the feed that originates as SD

12. NYHeel

NYHeel Godfather

Aug 21, 2006
    My guess is that he can't get those satellites. I've heard of people who can get the main ones but can't get the ones needed for HD even from the 3 LNB dish. That's what I thought he meant.

13. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    Ah, but it is D*'s fault, as these are statements made by their agents. I am a teacher, and if I were to make statements like "the earth is flat" or "SUV's cause global warming" my school district would be responsible for my incorrect statements. Believe me, if I made such stupid statements, the parents of my students would be complaining, and rightly so, to my principal.

14. ScoBuck

ScoBuck Banned User

Mar 5, 2006
    If the CSR said as the poster stated, that it would be by the end of the year, no promise was made except that it would be BY 12/31/07. Earlier 100% fulfills that comment. And reading back as to what was said by that CSR, there is absolutely NOTHING incorrect or STUPID.

15. Kevin Dupuy

Kevin Dupuy Godfather

Nov 28, 2006
    CSR: "50 new national HD channels before new SATs up"
    Customer: "You must be higher than the satellites right now"

16. ScoBuck

ScoBuck Banned User

Mar 5, 2006
    Now THAT is a fact!

17. ScoBuck

ScoBuck Banned User

Mar 5, 2006
    As far as I know, ALL of these new HD nationals are already transmitted to you in SD. Shouldn't affect you in any way really.

18. cb7214

cb7214 Icon

Jan 25, 2007
    :thats:

19. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I'm not sure I read the OP correctly. Was the "before the new satellites are up" comment from the CSR or from the OP (assuming June is before the new satellites are up).

The CSR could be correct. They could have additional capacity for 50 channels by June if all goes very well. If the CSR said that this was before the satellites, then he is full of it.

20. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Trust me, Don't get Dolly started.:) :p :lol:

;) Just kidding Dolly. A few days closer to opening day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.