1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CST only on Dish?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by igator99, Dec 15, 2008.

1. igator99

igator99 Godfather

Jul 28, 2006
  2. bdwill

bdwill Mentor

Jun 26, 2007
    I'm missing quite a few Hornets games but a quick connect to a friend's Slingbox solves that problem!

I would like to see CST on D* as well, but I'm not going back to Cox or to E* just for the Hornets.

3. bdwill

bdwill Mentor

Jun 26, 2007
    This is a funny quote from that press release you linked to:

4. kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    Why stop there, let's add CSS too.

5. commodore_dude

commodore_dude AllStar

Aug 25, 2008
    +1, tired of missing high school and college sports on CSS! Of course now that the AFL is shutting down for the year, there goes the most compelling pro sport on CSS, that probably won't help get it added :(

6. igator99

igator99 Godfather

Jul 28, 2006
    What is CSS?

7. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
  8. igator99

igator99 Godfather

Jul 28, 2006
    Looks pretty good to me. Dish has big billboards around here touting they have CST. I wonder if this is an exculsive deal.

9. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    As to CST, exclusive deals are illegal.

As to CSS, if you hit the "channel finder" on the web site, almost no cable company carries this channel, except for its owners. It just does not have much content, other than a few sixth choice SEC games, and that will go away when the new SEC contract kicks in.

10. commodore_dude

commodore_dude AllStar

Aug 25, 2008
    When I talk to DirecTV I just get an automated response that they're not considering CSS at this time. I've actually received human responses from CSS, and they say they've been trying to get added but are having no luck. I can understand that there wouldn't be much reason to add them without a major pro sport, but CSS does carry the Peachtree TV Braves games outside the Atlanta area, as well as AFL (until now), MLL, WNBA and minor league baseball. They do have a lot of good content for folks in the broadcast area though, CUSA, Sun Belt and D2 football, and a lot of college basketball. During high school football season they'll have like 5 or 6 simultaneous games being broadcast in different markets as well :eek2:.

I just saw today that Charter's in trouble, so maybe if Comcast eats them it'll just become another Comcast Sportsnet and be easier to get added. I can hope, can't I?

11. igator99

igator99 Godfather

Jul 28, 2006
    DEATH TO CHARTER!:) That is our cable provider and they really stink. They are the reason I went to D* about 14 years ago. If D* is suppose to be the sports leader they should pickup CSS and CST. This is a booming area and many folks are going with Dish because of CST.

12. Brandon428

Brandon428 Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2007
    2009 and still no CST...I feel like I'm taking crazy pills lol. (Ferrari Latigra...lol) back to topic,why don't I have my RSN which is CST. The hornets just happen to be one of the best NBA teams right now and I can't watch but a hand full of games because Directv still doesn't carry it. Come on already. Don't even get me started on my locals.!pusht! I just had to get that out of my system.

13. IcedOmega13

IcedOmega13 Legend

Mar 3, 2008
    It comes down to money. If you owned a provider would you pay a small time network so it could be on your service even though by doing so it would make them money because more viewers where watching. The networks don't pay the commercials to play during shows its the other way around.

Just like KJazz. 1 person, 100, or 1000 isn't going to make up the revenue that it would cost to get it. Its more business conscious to drop the channel, or not carry it.

14. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Just to knitpick, actually, it does not.

The Braves games on WPCH are offered to cable systems outside the Atlanta area but within the Braves marketing zone (and also to DirecTV, where they appear on Channel 651). Some cable systems choose to replace the CSS content with the WPCH content on the same channel number. Others do what DirecTV does and put it up on an otherwise unused channel. It might appear to the layman that the "Braves are on CSS", but actually they are not. Its two different programming souces, sharing a channel number on a few systems. A deal for CSS would have nothing to do with the Braves at all.

15. commodore_dude

commodore_dude AllStar

Aug 25, 2008
    Actually, it is a deal CSS has (or at least had last year, I don't know about this year yet), not just individual cable companies. If you went to their website during baseball season they had a lot of information about it, including a separate "outside Atlanta market" schedule with all the Braves games on it.

16. Raven2490

Raven2490 Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    I recently moved here(Slidell) from NY and since the knicks r crap I decided to sit down and watch a real team play ball and I started lookign for the hornets in any station and could not find them ... was told only charter had them at the time and they just totally suck.

Wrote email to the Hornets and never got a response .. I guess they don't need anymore fans.

17. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003

You are simply mistaken.

18. Brandon428

Brandon428 Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2007
    Directv has already said they have interest and intent on providing CST in the beginning of 2009. Its 2009 why no CST?