1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Current deals

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Bill D, Oct 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill D

Bill D Godfather

May 10, 2002
    Hello, going to be switching over to HD finally. I have two SD tivos, so will pick up a HR20. Currently online they want to charge me $300 to upgrade. Is this typically, if I call and get lucky will a CSR give me a better deal for any reason?
    Thanks for any thoughts on this

Bill

2. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    most of the technicians (actually haven't heard of one) will not take the HR-10 back, they would send a return kit if they want it back via FedEx. I would simply call and see what they can do for you. Equipment is considered leased if acquired after March 1, 2006. This is good because if the technology changes and you have leased units, you can exchange it for the latest technology if it changes, and it does quickly. Why would you want to own since technology today is ever changing? I don't want to have to worry about trying to sell old equipment on eBay etc... I don't think you should have to pay $300 or any price to get leased equipment, especially if your paying such a high price now for the HD packages. Explain to the representative at DirecTV you are paying so much per month and you have been a long time customer, so you feel with leased you shouldn't have to pay the $300 leasing fee to acquire the equipment. If you get the cost waived, the technician will come out to your door and install the HR20/21 or H20 depending on what your looking for in a setup.

Even if you decide to pay the fee to get the equipment they will still exchange it merely for the price of shipping or no cost at all, I have read of varying posters saying they did or didn't have to pay.

You can even buy the HR20 (not leased) for $749 from DirecTV, but why do that if you can get a leased unit for $300. DirecTV will encourage leasing only. Some with money to burn will still want to buy.

Good luck.

3. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006

Although freebies apparently were easier to get several months ago, some are reporting that yes, you can still often do better with a phone call.

Ask them if they can help you get into HD.

And make sure your bill has been paid on time for the past several months!:)

4. Bill D

Bill D Godfather

May 10, 2002
    Thanks for the suggestions, looks like furniture is coming in 8 weeks, and so will the plasma then, so will give them a call in a few weeks to get the ball rolling..

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.