1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Curve 8310, iphone3gs comparisons.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by BubblePuppy, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Aug 3, 2009 #1 of 65
    BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    I have a Curve 8310, and I’m due for an upgrade in Sept. I have ATT with excellent coverage. What I would like is to hear from those that had a Curve then went to the iphone3gs, and or went back to the Curve. First, I am not interested in apps, those are just icing on the cake. I have 5 emails addresses and I do like the fact that, on the Curve, all my email goes into one common folder so I don’t have to check the five folders. How is the call quality? I do alot of texting, emailing, and voice calls. What can the Curve do that iphone can’t and visa/versa. I want honest comparisons. I haven’t decided whether to keep the 8310, upgrade to the latest Blackberry (whatever that will be), some other smart phone or go with the iphone. Oh, I do web surf, and the Curve kinda sucks doing that.
    Decisions, decisions...arrrgghhhh

2. Aug 3, 2009 #2 of 65
    HDJulie

HDJulie Icon DBSTalk Club

Aug 10, 2008
    I had a Curve for 3 or 4 months about 2 years ago. I went from it to a Palm Treo 750 & then to the iPhone. I can't think if anything that I really liked about the Curve. I didn't choose it -- my sister ended up with an extra & gave it to me. I never got the hang of the little scroll ball & didn't like having to scroll around the screen to find an icon that I wanted. And texting was cumbersome to me. But the main thing I did not like was that for anything other than calling someone, I couldn't see the screen. The Palm was slightly better in that it had a little bit of a bigger screen but I still wasn't able to see it that well for surfing & I did not like the keyboard. The iPhone for me has been fantastic. I can see the screen, I find what I need easily, & I love the touchscreen. I wish Apple would allow customization without jailbreaking & the phone itself has some issues (it needs to be rebooted every few days, & an update to the software requires a download of the ENTIRE OS rather than just the update). When I got the first phone, I had a few dropped calls. Since then (say in the last 14 months) I have had no problems. However, I do not make that many calls. I'm in the South where AT&T has very good coverage for the most part so I don't have an issue with service, other than not being able to get 3G at my house. It is available almost everywhere else that I go. I didn't have the Curve long enough to say what it can or can't do in comparison with the iPhone. But since I've had the iPhone (and I'm on the 3GS version now), I've done WAY more surfing on the phone than I ever did before. I love having the Internet at my disposal no matter where I am within AT&T's coverage area.

3. Aug 3, 2009 #3 of 65
    BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    Thanks for a great review, some of the things you don't like about the Curve are the same as my dislikes, the trackball being one. If you have bluetooth headset, can the voice dialing be activated by the headset like you can with the Curve? The keyboard of the Curve is a problem for me because of the size of the keys, lots of next letter typos. Thankfully ATT gives you 30 days to try out the phone.

4. Aug 3, 2009 #4 of 65
    HDJulie

Aug 10, 2008
    I don't have a bluetooth headset -- I have a bluetooth in-dash system in my car that has voice. I haven't ever tried it though.

5. Aug 3, 2009 #5 of 65
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Actually...I have the Curve and couldn't disagree more.

I had numerous choices and did alot of homework before ending up with a Curve 8830.

It has the best keyboard of all the current Blackberry devices, in that they are spaced apart more for "fat fingers" like mine, and also easy visibility. The curve also has a solid construction compared to the Palm PRE, which feels "cheap" in how it's put together.

As for the iPhone...my daughter got the 16GB 3GS and spends almost as much time charging the darn thing as using it...sometimes 3X day. In addition, she gets dropped calls more often than I do with my Curve.

My first requirement for this kind of device was as a phone - it had to have a quality sound both in and outbound, as well as solid reception. As one who travels all over the country and uses my Curve alot - it has met all those expectations.

My second requirement is for fast and reliable e-mail, and again, the Curve has met or exceeded expectations.

The final main need (there are more, but less important) was Internet access, especially Google, Google maps, and a general browser. No problems there either with the Curve.

The only advantage I see with the iPhone is the large screen...but its a bigger device in one's hand too, and with the battery issue, I saw little value in the difference on that front.

There are also some rumors (which I can't discuss) that there will be 2 new Blackberry-based devices before year end...which also seem "promising".

6. Aug 3, 2009 #6 of 65
    HDJulie

Aug 10, 2008
    I think that's a solid example of how different people like different things & have different needs. Really, nothing will be all things to all people so definitely play with both phones & then get the one that you think is better & bring it back if it doesn't meet your needs. I'd do the Curve first -- I don't think it has a restocking fee like the iPhone does.

As for charging -- I do agree. The iPhone uses a lot of battery & I charge mine every day. I have a charger at work, a car charger, & a home charger. I generally only charge it at night but if I have a day of above normal usage, I need the extra chargers just in case. It's not a big deal for me but if you are a power user, it could be an issue.

7. Aug 3, 2009 #7 of 65
    BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    First of all, lets not let these comparisons become a "us vs them". I'm just to trying to weigh the pros and cons in a "Consumer Reports" like objectivity.

hdtvfan0001, thanks. I have heard that the battery life of iphone is lacking. I can go almost 5 days of normal use before I have to recharge my Curve. I was looking at the Bold because of the key board, but it is bigger than the Curve. Call sound quality is important to me. The Curve upgrade on ATT is the Curve 8900, it doesn't have 3g but does have wifi.
    I too have and will continue to do research.

8. Aug 3, 2009 #8 of 65
    BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    Again thanks. The battery life is an issue that I have been reading about. The touch screen does intrigue me, some people like it and others don't. I know the iphone's camera is supposed to be very good, but doesn't have a flash. The Curve does.

9. Aug 3, 2009 #9 of 65
    elaclair

elaclair Rescued Racers Live Here

Jun 18, 2004
    Del Mar, CA
    While I can't speak from personal experience...I went from a TREO 680 directly to the iPhone, our company offered the choice between a Curve and an iPhone. We had 12 people take the Curve. 11 of them have now switched to the iPhone. All 11 stated basically the same reason.....the keyboard and screen size were issues.

10. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Just stay away from the BB Storm....it's touch screen too like the iPhone, but a crummy phone, especially on outgoing calls. There is a pending improvement firmware update rumored, but part of the problem with that device is hardware, which can't be fixed.

The BB Bold does indeed have a slightly larger keyboard, although the keys are directly next to each other like the World Edition BB device....

If you can, you may even want to go to an AT&T store to feel how these units are in your hands as well. I found that to be revealing in many ways. I also ran into other regular users of several devices and sought their experience using them, especially as a phone (first).

11. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    I have heard that about the Storm. ATT doesn't carry it. Your last advice is right on the nose. I didn't think I would use txtmsg or email, nor did I think I would want those features....and now....:lol: Those are the two main uses.

I wish you could spill the beans on what RIM is up to.;) I don't have to upgrade in Sept., but that is when I am eligible. I can wait if there is something better in the wings, of course it would have to offered by ATT 'cause I taint switching.:)

12. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    By the end of September, some of the new devices may just publically surface.

Crackberry.com is a good source of such information.

13. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    Bookmarked and read everyday.

14. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I've never owned a Blackberry, but I have used them, but never the Curve. I don't care much for the Blackberry user interface, and I never quite did see the point unless you use one in conjunction with a Blackberry Enterprise Server. I love my iPhone, although unlike you, I have no phone requirement. The iPhone is not my main cell phone, it's just a cool toy I use for mobile internet access. Most of the time I use it as a phone, it's when I have to call a place and I look up the number via the Map App or the Yellow or White Pages Apps, too damn easy to just tap to call rather than getting my other phone out. Web surfing on the iPhone is great, all web pages that I've visited thus far have all the displayed correctly, I know when I'd surf the net on wifi with my Windows Mobile PDAs sometimes the formatting would be all messed up. And surfing the landscape is great, not sure if the BB Curve has an accelerometer, but that is a huge plus for the iPhone

Apps may not be a big deal now, but a lot of the Apps I have are from websites I visit regularly, having the App makes things a lot easier, and since the App is specifically designed for the iPhone, I find it easier to navigate rather than launching Safari. I have apps for Amazon.com, EBay, Fox Sports, Wikipedia and Bank of America and others. Also AT&T now has their own account management app, which lets you make changes, and view info about current and past AT&T Wireless pay periods.

Battery life is not the greatest, but there has to be at least one drawback on an amazing device like this. As for the email, if you have multiple accounts, there's no way to get all the email to display in one folder, not even sure if you can hack it to do that. I have many email addresses but only care about two of them, my Road Runner email and my Yahoo email. I have it set to check every minute for new mail, and if I have a new email, it will tell me how many and on what account from the main email screen. Here's a screen cap of what it looks like:

[​IMG]

And personally I HATE talking on candy bar smart phones, which is one of a few reasons why I don't use the iPhone as a phone, I find them extremely uncomfortable, I'm a flip phone guy for life, not not having a real keyboard helps with this a little. Virtual keyboards are so much better IMO.

15. BubblePuppy

Nov 3, 2006
    Steve, I do have to agree with you about flip phones vs candy bar phones. My last phone was a RazR, and as far just a phone, it is my favorite. A lot more comfortable to use. I find myself using the speaker phone feature on the Curve a lot (or Bluetooth) if I know I'm going to be talking a while.
    I like the way the iphone displays the email from various accounts, no need for a common email folder. I could get used to that very quickly. I would rather have my email pushed, though. Having it check email every minute might wear the battery down faster.
    I can see web browsing a lot more with the iphone than I do with the Curve (at least with my model of the Curve).
    Battery life of the iphone vs the Curve might be a big issue for more me.
    As far as using a iphone as a mp3 player...not interested....I have a mp3 player and I never use it, didn't even like the walkman. I just don't like walking around with earphones and music in my ears and not being able to hear what is going on around me. I find it way too distracting.

When I say I am not interested in the apps, well I said I wasn't interested in getting my email on my phone nor am I all that interested in txtmsg'ng. Well guess what are my two main uses for my Curve. So I'm not going to say never to the apps part, but there are a growing number of similar apps for the Blackberry, Apple is just more loud about having them.

Thanks for your input.

16. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    That's almost identical to how my Curve 83xx gets used here too, and why I find it the best choice.

Obviously, how one uses these smartphones, as well as how much, can have a bearing on the "right choice" for a user.

The don't call them smartoys, smartmessengers, smartgamemachines, smartportablevideo, or smartMP3 - they are called smartphones.

If they can't master that part and e-mail with quality service and voice sound, and do so without being charged constantly...then the rest are "gimmicks and gadgets" but not necessities, IMHO.

17. HDJulie

Aug 10, 2008
    While I don't disagree about the "gimmicks & gadgets" not being necessities at the moment, I think that our perception of a smartphone is changing to be a smartdevice that is a phone, a camera (preferably with video), a PDA, a portable internet connection, a source of amusement (games), & a seemingly endless supply of utilities (apps). I think that most of the smartphones these days generally meet these needs, with varying degrees of success. The point though is that "we" are no longer satisfied with just a phone -- we want an all-around device. I personally see the gadgets & gimmicks being what drives the next generation of these devices.

18. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    That's only true if you subscribe to the notion that a handheld device is appropriate for all these kinds of converging media presentations.

I, for one, think convergence is mostly a joke...as do many others I know who just laugh at the idea of seeing streaming video on such a small screen, for example. I've literaly stood in a room of over 20 people handing around an iPhone with streaming video on it, only to have 18 of the 20 people all basically say the same thing - the screen is just too small to really see the content for any value. The other 2 people said it was "neat", but wouldn't pay that much just to get it on their phones.

For those who adapt, it is a good idea, for the rest of us, we still believe its a phone that happens to do a few more (of some value) thingys....:D

19. Mustang Dave

Mustang Dave Legend

Oct 13, 2006

The old saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it" may apply in your case. :)

Switching phones might get you a some new capabilities but also maybe some new headaches.

20. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    But I've never seen one of these devices be it the iPhone, Blackberry, or Windows Mobile Phone, that is a great cell phone. For a cell phone, I need something that is comfortable to talk on, a handset that can be dropped on a concrete driveway repeatedly from heights, fly off the back of a speeding van and get smashed every day and work just as good as the day I took it out of the box and have decent reception (well ok, reception doesn't matter, I get no cell phone service in my house). I don't need a camera/camcorder phone, don't was stripped down internet access, if you want to talk to me call me, don't text, and I don't need to get my amusement by playing Tetris on a 1" screen. Which is why I will always stay true to Nextel and Motorola's ruggedized MilSpec phones. My main phone, my i560 is completely beat up but works great. Every once in a while I'll pop the SIM card into my first cell phone, my i90 from 2002, not a ruggedized phone, but a true tank, doesn't even have color display, man I loved that thing!

Am I happy paying $75/month for AT&T and another $70 to Sprint, no not really. I wish more then anything I could get the iPhone without a voice plan and save the $40 every month, but I love the thing too much.

Basically my feeling on what I call 'Swiss Army Cell Phones' are they are jack of all traits masters of none. I treat my iPhone as a PDA with 24/7 net access so long as I have coverage.

And I don't consider being able to purchase a new tshirt from Amazon, check my bank account balances or order movie tickets on my iPhone gimmicky. I could do all that on a computer, with the iPhone is a mobile computer.

Normally I'd agree. I mean I have a 42" Sony HDTV and a 55" HDTV, why would I want to watch something on an iPhone screen. Mobile entertainment, when I'm not driving on road trips I often watch downloaded TV shows on my iPhone. And at work, when I use the company gym, when I'm on the elliptical, I like to tool around on You Tube. I feel the same way when it comes to the camera, why would I want to take a picture with the iPhone or any phone when I have a Sony 12.1MP digital camera.