1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom Guide/Channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by idigg, Feb 25, 2009.

Tags:
  1. idigg

idigg Legend

May 8, 2008
    Hello!

I am looking for the easiest way to create a custom guide with channels that I get, remove channels I never watch, etc.

I would like to have the guide show locals, no PPV, no D* info channels, no shopping channels, etc. I have the CHOICE package and when I utilize all channels I get channels I don't even subscribe to.

I want to modify custom1/custom2 to what I want, but it will take me over 2 hours to this on all of my receivers, any TIPS? What would be REALLY cool, is if D* gave us a template we could modify on our computer, then send it to the receiver via IP, so it would be easier to modify this.

Thanks!

2. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    I just write down my list and drag it with me receiver by receiver. Or print out the channel guide and highlight the ones you watch. Then all you have to do is just punch in the channel numbers and it takes you right to them in the list.

3. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    The "Channels I Get" feature doesn't really work, but you can start with that and then go channel by channel and exclude the ones you don't want. I created a spreadsheet that I then printed out and went to my other receivers to replicate the lists.

Sadly, from time to time the receiver will either lose or corrupt the list and you'll have to do it over again.

DirecTV is well aware of the bugs in this type of functionality but as of yet has really not put forth any great effort to fix it.

You should also be aware that searches will not use the selected favorite and will only search against the entire channel spectrum.

4. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    Great idea..

5. wolverine1701

wolverine1701 Cool Member

Jun 4, 2004
    The easiest way i found is hit the remove all which will get rid of all the junk channels.Then just print off the listing and write down what channels I want then just enter them in with the keypad instead of using the up and down arrows. It still takes some time but its a heck of a lot faster then hitting the down arrow 30 times to get to your next channel you want.

6. wmj5

wmj5 Godfather

Aug 26, 2007
    I have all the channels I want to watch with the channel up and down on custom 1, first you click the yellow button go down to change fav. list and click select go to edit settings and click select then click custom 1 then for ever channel you want to watch put a black icon in that channel number, then when you go up and down the channels you only get the channels you put the icons in, have fun.

7. idigg

idigg Legend

May 8, 2008
    Thanks for the suggestions!

8. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    At this point, as others have pointed out, it's pretty much a manual process for each receiver (not fun, I know - I have 6 DVRs!).

9. Tallgntlmn

Tallgntlmn Icon

Jun 7, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    The way that sounds, the guide doesn't default to a custom list? This is one thing I would want to do if I get the HR2x. Like currently on my D-TiVo, every time I hit guide it goes to "channels you receive" and that list has no shopping, ppv, D*, sports, movies, etc. Is that not how the new one works? Do you have to switch to the custom list every time you hit guide?

10. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    No, it defaults to whatever your last-used list happens to be.

But the Channels I Get feature still shows several channels that most people don't get. And Channels I Get will always show the shopping, etc. because you do get them.

One of the problems mentioned is that you cannot restrict search results to a particular custom list; searches return results from all channels.

But you can depend upon the receiver to return to the last-used custom list once you set it up and select it.

11. jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    No it stays on whatever guide you last used. My HR21 and HR20 both are always on my custom list.

12. Tallgntlmn

Tallgntlmn Icon

Jun 7, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    Ok, cool. Thanks. I was afraid I'd have to switch lists every time I would hit guide. That would be a pain if true.