1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Custom home build. What do I need to have run to dish?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by 996911, Jan 20, 2013.

1. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    Building a custom home and will have my home integration installer run all the necessary lines to the location where I want the dish.

Question is.....how many lines do I need to have run?

System will be as follows:
    (1) HR34
    (1) HR24
    (4-6) H24's

Install will have ALL lines run into an A/V room that will be the central distribution of video to each room. I'd like the D* installer to only have to install the dish and run NO LINES.

TIA!

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Since you have >8 tuners then you'll need four lines run from the dish.

3. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    My guess was 4 but very glad to see that confirmed. I really appreciate your reply!

4. WestDC

WestDC DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Run at least 4 for Directv and 0ne more for OTA if your are able to receive any other OTA signal local you can add then to your HDDVR's receivers with a AM21 but that requires a independent RG6 from the receiver to the AM21.

Total of 5 RG6

5. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    Would I need that if I already get all the locals? Not sure I follow.

6. WestDC

WestDC DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    If you use a Roof attach Attn. or Rabbit ears you need a AM21 to combine those signals into your HDDVR Menu.

7. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    That would be a negative. So only 4 lines it is. Thanks for the explanation.

8. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    The benefit of having OTA is the ability to have digital sub-channels (ME-TV, Antenna TV, This TV, RTV, & Bounce to name just a few) which are not offered through DirecTV as well as having a back-up feed for the 'core' channels.

9. hjones4841

hjones4841 Legend

Aug 18, 2006
    OTA backup is a good idea during snow and heavy rain. Had about an inch of snow here last week and lost sat signal - really surprised me how little it took. And that is with the dish properly aimed - 98-100s on most transponders. Swept it off with a broom and all was well.

10. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    I would recommend that you run six (6) lines, especially if you won't have easy access to replace them down the road. Maybe you'll want to add some other kind of antenna, or cable, or another dish. Maybe a line will get damaged. Running the cable now is relatively cheap; trying to do it after the build is going to be difficult, expensive, or ugly.

11. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    And probably all three.

If you haven't already planned on it, you might be best served putting multiple outlets in each room. About once a quarter, my wife has to move all the furniture. And having an exposed coax running from one outlet to another wall is not an option. Good luck.

12. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Where on the outside of your house are you planning to put the dish (have the coax run to)? Are you certain the dish can be mounted there? Multiple considerations including line of sight, access to the location by the installer (they normally won't go on a roof away from the ladder location), ability to properly ground the coax and dish, etc.

I totally agree with running at least two extra coax. Or as an option, run conduit through which you can easily pull 4 to 6 coax.

13. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    :righton:

Building a custom home and skimping on coax runs is just silly.

14. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    Line of sight isn't an issue and location should be fine. The only issue I could encounter is the installer being afraid of heights or not wanting to install so high up. Pole mount in the yard isn't going to be an option. Hidden on back of house on top of a level is where it will be. Period. What should I provide for ground? I want this to be as painless an install as possible for the installer. Mount and align dish and go.

I've got about $3K worth of cabling being run so I'm not skimping :lol:

I have redundancy on top of redundancy as well as future hookups.

15. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Good for you to think about this and ask before it's too late.

I have worked for a couple that have built 2 new homes (about 7 years apart) and neglected a prewire on BOTH. IANMTU.

And note, they built the second one AFTER I strung wires all over the outside of their first one.

Even worse, they were in a metro area, and the local cable outfit would have done a basic prewire for FREE

I also encourage drop ceiling in basements, some times people listens, and somes times they don't.

LOL!

16. wmb

wmb Godfather

Dec 17, 2008
    This is a good idea, but i'd go a step or two further...

Just a thought... the system will run off of a SWM, so basically only one wire needed to each satellite box location. No need for them to all go to the main TV location. You can send all the wires to a central location, maybe a closet to terminate the runs. You should also have a few, probably 6 power outlets (110V) set up for transformer plugs at this location. The SWM will need a 110volt outlet for a power inserter.

This closet would also be an excellent location for your cable/DSL modem. The means a POTS (CAT6 will work) and a cable run there from the utility riser outside (and a 110v outlets for the modem/router/network switch/wireless access point). This would also be a prime location for any NAS or servers you plan to deploy. You will likely need a CCK to have internet connectivity to the D* boxes (requires another 110 v outlet).

I'd also make some CAT6 runs to various locations in the house. In particular, anywhere that you think you'll put a desktop computer. I'd also run a line or two for a networked printer - they have built-in printer servers.

17. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    They've gotten very strict on heights. You may have to put up the dish yourself if that's the only place you will allow it to go.

18. funnyfarm299

funnyfarm299 AllStar

Mar 3, 2012
    Or he can call a retailer like me who isn't afraid to do custom installs at heights.

19. funnyfarm299

funnyfarm299 AllStar

Mar 3, 2012
    I would run a cat 6 line to every room in the house. You never know when you need to expand.

20. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Afraid of heights isn't the issue. It getting an installer who can meet OSHA [strike]standards[/strike] requirements for working at heights above 6' (when not on a ladder).