1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Customer Agreement Changes

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by goinsleeper, May 17, 2013.

1. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Trying to knock this out early. Some changes to the agreement effective June 24, 2013.

In the introduction, the phrase “applicable cancellation terms and/or fees” referencing Section 5 has been added.
    Section 1. Our Service: The word “box” was changed to “equipment” throughout the agreement.
    Section 2. Payment: New information has been added about minimum service, the Genie mini/Client and/or enabled TV/Device fee, and returned payment fees.
    Section 3. Customer Information: New information has been added about text messaging and a section has been added about authorized users.
    Section 5. Cancellation: New information has been added about fees due upon cancelation and the methods of payment upon cancellation
    Customers can view or print the customer agreement (in English or Spanish) at Directv.com/agreement.

So basically, no real changes. As last year, just verbage and addition of Genie equipment.

2. mystic7

mystic7 Icon

Dec 9, 2007
    This is an outrage! :eek2:

3. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    I remember last year when people wanted to cancel their agreement with no penalty because D* changed the verbage lol. Figured I would post this before people started getting the bill inserts and emails.

4. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    It's June 24th, not 14

but everything else is right :)

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Or if a channel is dropped, or even added.

6. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    I missed the 2 and hit the 1 lol. I'll edit the post.

7. kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    It's the same with credit card, telephone contract, et al changes..if it's a sweeping change, and everyone is notified, then the CYA clause is covered :)

8. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The returned payment fee went up 50% to $30.

I've always been staggered by the "up to" $300 Access Card Replacement Fee.

9. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    No surprise there. That's just to keep you from giving your card to someone else to use and then reporting it lost. And what is so staggering for you? It's not like you have to worry about it...

- Merg

10. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Why would Directv care about you giving your card away, or losing it for that matter? Unless you also gave away the receiver it was activated on, the card is useless.

I'm actually kind of surprised they don't have an embedded serial number in the LNB that is transmitted to the attached receivers, so that instead of receiver/card pairs being activated they could do it as receiver/card/LNB triplets. That would eliminate some types of account sharing fraud, and they'd still be able to make allowances for those who legitimately need two dishes on the same account (RV or whatever) Perhaps this is a dormant capability in newer LNBs they haven't yet made use of.

11. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    They want the card back for two reasons. Reason one, so they can check for unreported pay per view purchases/events. This typically happens when the reciever is activated with the IPPV option enabled when it should not be if a phone line or internet is not connected. Doing so will cause you to be able to order PPVs until the card is full OSD 733 until the reciever does a call back. If you never connect a phone line or the internet to it it can not do a call back. So they will not know a PPV was purchased until the card is returned. Reason number 2 card fraud that is plausible with hackers.

12. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    I have seen some 'singed' (toasted!!) refurb access cards that, if I were DirecTV, I would be embarrassed to charge $.25 for.

BTW (and OT too) saw my first C31 refurbs the other day. The boxes were prominently stamped "refurbished'. I guess I would rather not know, it doesn't inspire confidence.

13. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    No, but he does have the potential $50 fee that Dish can charge for a defective card. Not saying it's never waived, but it is in the terms.