1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Customer Service-Tech Support-Unsupported MRV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by adamson, Aug 26, 2010.

1. adamson

adamson Godfather

Nov 9, 2007
    Florida
    My new HR24's are up and running. One of the HR22's that was replaced was my primary receiver. After the conversion Whole Home was turned off so I had to call back to enable again.

The CSR insisted I need DECA, I explained in clear English I would like unsupported Whole Home MRV. He acted dumb and still said I need DECA. Then my tone changed and I explained the whole setup again and he turned it on, although then came the attitude from him.

As far as I see here DECA is a mess, I don't need it, want it. I lose no connectivity between any of my equipment period. I get a headache reading the problems subs post here...I commend all who help those in need and those who have helped me from dbstalk.

All I can say about the HR24's is very nice!

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I'm glad you're fine with your unsupported networking.
    As with most topics, only those with issues/problems seem to post, so reading the "problems" doesn't give anyone the true status of how anything works or doesn't.
    I've had DECA for over a year and it's been basically bulletproof, so I'd recommend it to anybody.
    Over time I'm sure the installers will understand it better, but yes the initial rollout has had training problems.
    From all the threads I've read, and I don't think I've missed too many here, the main "wild card" has been problems with routers. Since this is the one piece of the puzzle DirecTV has no control over, I'm not sure how they can know all the models and required settings for each one.

3. Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers Godfather

Jan 14, 2008
    Metro-Atlanta
    MRV packets do NOT pass through the router and blaming MRV problems on routers is, at best, a red herring.

If an internet connection is needed for D*oD or TVApps (it is NOT necessary for MRV), a router is almost certainly necessary for either DECA or Ethernet to handle LAN IP addressing.

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I have to agree with VOS here. DECA is a great system, in the end I expect far fewer issues from a DECA system than from an unsupported ethernet system. But it does seem that you got what you wanted, right?

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    It isn't the MRV packets that are the problem, but instead, if you've read the posts of those with problems, is the IP addresses handled by the router that have been problems with it causing receivers to drop off the network.

6. BudShark

BudShark New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Several issues have been corrected related to addressing DHCP address assignment from routers and addressing router reboots.

It is NOT a red herring when you look at what a home router does for the network. So - do routers cause problems on DECA physical layer? No. Do routers act as a component of a DECA network when attached? Yes. Has that component been involved/responsible for MRV disconnects and other issues? Yes.

7. Barry in Conyers

Jan 14, 2008
    Metro-Atlanta

I have read the posts, that is NOT the issue.

Please explain how you are going to connect either a DECA or Ethernet system to the internet without using a router unless you have a dedicated internet connection just for D*oD and TVApps.

8. BudShark

BudShark New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Huh?
    Several problems have been resolved by changing the receivers to Static IP addresses instead of using the routers DHCP.

All VOS (and I) are saying is that there is interplay here, and it is not inherently a "DECA" problem. No one is assigning blame... just responding to the OP comments that DECA is a nightmare and pointing out its really not.

9. john18

john18 Active Member

Nov 21, 2006
    IMO, this is definitely a YMMV issue.

I purchased Powerline Adapters for the testing of the MRV functionality while it was still in the CE program and before it was otherwise opened for Beta testing. My Powerline's worked pretty well. However when MRV became Whole Home as it was removed from Beta status and into paid status I noticed that my particular system didn't seem to be working as well. I held out for three weeks before biting the bullet and having the ICK and other DECA units installed. That solved the problems for me. YMMV.

I did manage to get the upgrade for about $76.00 by ordering the ICK. The CSR, upon hearing this, stopped trying to tell me it would be $150.00+ for the DECA's. In my case the $76.00 got me: an new antenna /w alignment, three DECA's and the ICK.

It worked out well for me, but YMMV.

10. Barry in Conyers

Jan 14, 2008
    Metro-Atlanta

I completely agree that "it is not inherently a DECA problem", but it seems to me that some people are deliberately implying that DECA would be fine if not for router problems and that is BS.

In the real world, the vast majority of both DECA and Ethernet MRV systems are going to be connected to the internet (for D*oD and TVApps) through a router.

Neither DECA nor Ethernet MRV systems are going to work correctly unless the LAN IP addressing is correct. Implying that routers cause more problems for DECA than for Ethernet MRV systems is, AT BEST, a red herring.

For the record, I have used both DECA and Ethernet with both DHCP and fixed addresses for MRV, D*oD and TVApps with no connection problems.

Not what D* says or what I read somewhere, just my experience; YMMV.

11. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I'd say the strongest point is that those with receivers dropping off line, have had ZERO issues when the home network/router has been removed from the DECA network.
    My 2Wire router has given me ZERO problems, but some other users and their routers have and as BudShark posted, these seems to be DHCP IP related, which is the router's function, right?

12. BudShark

BudShark New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Just a misunderstanding. I don't think anyone meant or has implied that DECA would be 100%. All technology has strengths, weaknesses, and failures.

DECA works well in a lot more installations than not.
    Ethernet will also work well for those who want to use it.
    And in the end - regardless of choice, you have MRV which is something we all wanted. :grin:

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Maybe I was since I posted mine was "bulletproof", but my router also plays nice.
    The real point I was trying to make is what seems to be the most common problem of late, has been related to how the customer's router does or doesn't handle DHCP for the receivers.

14. BudShark

BudShark New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    What I meant to say is no one implied DECA would be 100% without the router... there will inherently be installation and hardware failures with any technology.

But... once up and running I would expect any technology to be solid.

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    This simply might come down to who wants to do what.
    Supported is good if you don't want to mess with anything and unsupported is fine if you want to support/mess with it yourself.
    I have no problems going either way. Ethernet worked fine as does my own installed DECA. :)

16. Barry in Conyers

Jan 14, 2008
    Metro-Atlanta
    A router's function is to handle LAN IP addressing, either DHCP or fixed as the user prefers. The main requirement is that each device on the network is assigned a unique IP address and that the router and the client devices "remember" those addresses. Whether the addresses are manually (aka "fixed") or automatically (aka DHCP) assigned is a moot point as long as the hardware is working correctly.

As stated, I have successfully used DECA and Ethernet with both DHCP and fixed LAN addressing for MRV, D*oD and TVApps. On my system (all Hx-24), all combinations appear to work equally well.

I have a complex LAN with (today) 15 client devices (including 2 HR-24's and 1 H-24) and have never experienced a LAN IP address issue that was not self inflicted (several of those, but .....) using either fixed or DHCP addressing.

If you insist, I will concede the possibility DirecTV receivers (and DVR's) cannot reliably handle DHCP addressing, but that seems like an absurd situation / assumption and does not match what I have seen.

Think about the tech support issues if DirecTV hardware cannot reliably handle DHCP LAN addressing.

17. BudShark

BudShark New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    If you read the failure reports, as you say that you have, then you would know that the daily/frequent loss of MRV was corrected by changing the DirecTV receivers to static assigned addresses at the box, and removing the DHCP functions from the equation. Whether the router was incorrectly handling DHCP requests, it was confused by the Broadband DECA, or DirecTV in those particular cases had a problem :shrug: who knows... not really our concern.

The point is without the router assigning DHCP addresses, it worked. With the router assigning DHCP addresses, it didn't. Period.

The users are fixed and happy. It doesn't affect anyone but them so lets smile and all be happy that we can use either DECA or Ethernet and watch our shows. :grin:

18. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    :bang
    If you have followed those with IP issues and their routers were causing this, you'd see some of this seemed to be related to the DHCP leasing, as they'd work, but time out [some being every 24 hours].
    I'm not sure I could blame the receivers for this, since they are working fine here with auto, DHCP, no reserved IPs, etc.
    Not everyone is using the same routers. We hear about those with problems, not those that are truly "plug & play", as mine seems to be.
    [again] those that have had issues, have been able to remove the router from the network, have the receiver use their own IP and not have any problems.

19. Tom_S

Tom_S Icon

Apr 9, 2002
    I, for one, have converted from a rock-solid gigE switch to Deca. I have found Deca to be reliable and fast. No issues at all, reboot one receiver, all, use MRV, download VOD, whatever. Flawless.

My gigE switch performed as well, no worse or better than DECA. But I save ports on my switch and also save myself from running another line of CAT6 to my new receiver.

Not a nightmare at all!

20. Barry in Conyers

Jan 14, 2008
    Metro-Atlanta
    Let's see if I understand this correctly. Router works fine using DHCP with all devices EXCEPT DirecTV receivers & DVR's, so the router must be the problem.

Makes perfect sense!