1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Customer support made things worse

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by arturo611, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Dec 6, 2008 #1 of 24
    arturo611

arturo611 Mentor

Sep 8, 2007
    I just called D* because my old DVR stopped recording shows. No big deal because I have a Hughes TiVo that I held on to after I upgraded to HD. So I called customer support and asked to switch receivers. After being transferred 3 times and on the phone for an hour, my old receiver was deactivated and the Hughes receiver was NOT activated. Seems they could not reactivate the Hughes receiver. They needed to open a ticket which they said could take 48 - 72 hours. That is not going to work since I need the 2nd receiver because I have people coming over to watch the fight tomorrow. So I asked if they can keep the old DVR running until the problem is fixed. Well, they can't! Since the deactivated the old DVR they were no longer able to reactivate any receivers.
    I am upset. I have one less receiver and customer support made matters worse. I would have been better off if I never contacted customer support.

2. Dec 6, 2008 #2 of 24
    Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    That's generally my feeling on calling DirecTV customer support. Never do it unless it's absolutely, positively necessary and always have a backup plan. Try calling again...maybe a couple of times generally you'll get someone that is willing to help after a few calls.

3. Dec 6, 2008 #3 of 24
    or270

or270 Icon

Feb 12, 2006
    Sounds like when them deactivated your received it closed you account, as there were no receivers active.

4. Dec 6, 2008 #4 of 24
    Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    Did they give you a reason for why they couldn't activate the Hughes receiver? I just activated an RCA receiver I bought back in 98 and it took a little bit of playing before the guy got it to work. However, they did get it after about 15 minutes.

5. Dec 6, 2008 #5 of 24
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    That's kinda what I was wondering...I know of people who have activated older receivers as well.

The other thing is that I would have activated and validated proper operation of the 2nd unit first, before deactivating the older one - but that's just me. That way, you would still be "whole" right now if the 2nd unit didn't work out.

6. Dec 6, 2008 #6 of 24
    rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Same here! In fact, whenever I've done an upgrade where an installer delivered a new receiver, I never let him deactivate the old one. I always do that myself a day later once I'm sure everything is working.

To the OP: You might try calling back and say "access card" at the voice prompt. They tend to be able to do things with receiver activations that front-line CSR's cannot.

7. Dec 6, 2008 #7 of 24
    waltersw

waltersw New Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Yes, CSR at D* are CLUELESS. I think their mission, when you call, is to make things worse. Avoid calling......I'm switching to cable once I'm done with my contract...Going back to Cable is something I thought I would never do but CS at D* has gotten sooooooo bad, I'm gone.

8. Dec 6, 2008 #8 of 24
    Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

What alot of DirecTV subscribers don't realize there are different levels of CSRs at DirecTV.There's billing/tech support/access card/protection plan/supervisors/retention.The last is the final step if retention can't solve your problem then your out of luck,but always in my case retention has been able to come up with a solution I have been able to live with.:sure:

9. Dec 6, 2008 #9 of 24
    xIsamuTM

xIsamuTM Icon

Jul 8, 2008
    Hey!! I was a good tech. I cared...

10. russdog

russdog Godfather

Jul 31, 2006
    I'm sure there are lots of good tech's and CSR's who care.
    The problem is the CSR and tech jobs are more like the job of goalies than of home run hitters: What matters is not the success rate but the failure rate.
    Despite the good CSR's, D* has enough crappy ones that people are afraid to call, and with good reason.

It's the same old story:
    • D* Strengths:
      • Good concept
      • Good service basics
      • Good equipment
    • D* Weaknesses
      • Crappy software (that makes both the service and the equipment look bad)
      • Crappy overall CSR-level (not each individual)
      • Crappy management (who bungle things, including a failure to fix the previous two).

11. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    If the workorder has it listed as a swap/replace, the tech has to deactivate one of your receivers before he can close the job.

12. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    My upgrades have always replaced owned units. I'm sure if I was replacing leased equipment, D* would want it back. They do not take back owned equipment.

13. wolfs_darkshadow

wolfs_darkshadow Mentor

Jan 22, 2007
    I will gladly let you come and work a single 8 hour shift and see how Clueless you think we are. Like another person posted if you ask a technical question of someone only trained in billing they maybe clueless but ask me that same question and you will get the right answer, sorry but I take great offense in your generalization of CSR's that work for DIRECTV.

14. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    Leased or owned doesn't make a difference. A swap/replace on the workorder requires one of the existing receivers to be deactivated before the workorder can be closed. The workorder would have to say swap/relocate or new outlet in order to close it without deactivating the old one.

15. russdog

russdog Godfather

Jul 31, 2006
    The problem is that the bad ones ruin the rep of the good ones.

For example, I had an experience with one guy who is a super-hero. He went way out of his way to clean up a mess. I truly owe the guy (really). The problem is that the mess was 100% the fault of D* CSR's (and their management). I had dealt with 12 other ones (12 is a truthful number) who screwed things up, gave me wrong info, made promises they didn't keep, and generally were clueless to the point of being awful. That's just the truth, it's not dissing the guy who was great, but it does give people reason to have a negative opinion of the group as a whole. Sad, and perhaps unfair, but it's true anyway.

ps: I know that dealing with the public can be a real pain, especially given the high Moron Factor out there. Too bad the same Factor exists within the CSR group. It's certainly not everybody, but it is a significant portion of everybody. Personally, I tend to put it on the D* management for letting it happen, but that's just my opinion.

16. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Well, I guess all of mine have been labeled "swap/relocate" because I have never had the installer attempt to deactivate a receiver. In fact, I generally have the former unit disconnected and out of the way beforehand. Honestly, I'd prefer not to even have to deal with an installer when adding equipment, but other than my last HR20 ordered via the D* website, they have insisted on an installer visit for each one (3 HR20's, plus one H20).

17. Elephanthead

Elephanthead Legend

Feb 3, 2007
    It is not the CRS person that is usually stupid or uncaring, they don't have the tools they need to solve problems. This is the direct result of management being the biggest bunch of aholes ever assembled.

18. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Wolf,

You should take greater offense in having people who don't have training in a given area being put in a situation where they field those questions. If a CSR can't answer a question they should have the training and capability to transfer the question to someone who can. They also shouldn't be "punished" with call center metrics for doing the right thing.

I have done many shifts on the phones during my career...it's a tough job that has a high burnout rate. Reps can make it better by demanding better of their supervisor and higher-ups.

We had a rule at our call centers...everyone from the VP on down did at least a full shift per month on the phones. That's the only way they could really experience whether the tools and metrics were adequate. It also gave them a solid idea of what they were reporting when they gave the call center reports to other departments.

Unfortunately, over my 10 plus years with DirecTV I can't say I've experienced good customer service. There have been some good reps...but in general even the simplest request (activating a receiver) would take three calls before it was done right.

19. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    My HR20 was disconnected and out of the way when the installer replaced it with an HD DVR a few weeks ago, but he still deactivated the receiver.

I've never had to send a deactivated receiver back or had one taken by the installer, however.

20. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Yeah, but that's a leased receiver. All my "upgrades" have been from either old Sony or RCA receivers or UTV's, all owned and all old and no longer in production.