1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyberlink won't send me an email for DIRECTPC

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by JonW, Oct 22, 2008.

1. JonW

JonW Icon

Dec 21, 2006
    I've tried two different email addresses, including the one currently registered with DirectTv. One doesn't spam filter, and the other rarely blocks something without at least leaving a message that it's done so.

Is this because I was already issued one when I was part of the CE beta?

Can anyone check in to this for me?

2. MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    The only way I can find out is to try. But I don't need another license cause mine still works

3. VATekman

VATekman New Member

Jul 2, 2008
    There seems to be a lot of people out there saying that they have not gotten an email. I think that the CyberLink server has just been swamped and is backed up on sending out emails. Give it time...

-Matt

4. dsheli

dsheli AllStar

Jul 15, 2008
    Has anyone gotten an e-mail from them?
    David

5. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Give it some time if you haven't. Took awhile for mine to show up.

6. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    I got it, tho it ended up in my spam folder.

I've read that you must complete the download as a file before the license key is sent.

Good luck,
    Tom

7. JonW

JonW Icon

Dec 21, 2006
    I tried it 3 times or so yesterday and again today and have received no emails.

8. pikespeakhiker

pikespeakhiker Mentor

Jul 26, 2008
    I can confirm that Tom is correct. You have to fully download the app (not just the playback advisor) to trigger the email. And the downloads are slow so it took awhile. I did one machine, had the download already and tried to just submit another email address (actually lots of them). It didn't send me another activation number until the 2nd download completed.

9. JonW

JonW Icon

Dec 21, 2006
    Interesting. I've canceled it on my subsequent attempts since I already had it and I didn't bother to run the advisor since I've run it before and know my new system checks out.

I guess I'll try again with download ...

10. JonW

JonW Icon

Dec 21, 2006
    Thanks guys. That was it. The email came through only seconds after the download completed.

Lessons ...

1) You don't have to run the advisor s/w.

2) You need to use the email you registered with DirecTv.

3) You do need to complete the download of the DirectTvPC application and possibly the advisor s/w as well.

4) It'll probably be marked as spam.

11. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    I didn't use my registered DIRECTV.com site email address, that wasn't required. Like many of us, I have several email addresses in this world, and purposely tested a different email address (which is why it came marked as spam for me, email to that address is often routed to spam.)

Cheers,
    Tom

12. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Godfather

Dec 7, 2007
    I beg to differ. I was unable to get the software to download this morning at home so I tried it when I got to work, and used my work email address (which D* knows nothing of).

The software downloaded and the key was sent.

13. dsheli

dsheli AllStar

Jul 15, 2008
    Anyone want to PM me there extra key? My e-mail still has not come and I cant wait to use D2PC haha

14. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    I think the key is sent after you approve the fact that parental controls don't transfer. I was trying to get a second key (after realizing my laptop would not be satisfactory). I wanted to use the same PC to get a second key. I submitted the request several times, change the e-mail address to my wife's and still nothing. When I cleared my cookies I was presented with the parental controls pop-up. I was then able to get a key sent to my wife's AOL account.

15. JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy Legend

Sep 1, 2006
    Why even have an activation code for this product.
    1. It is free
    2. It is not of any use to anyone that is not a directv subscriber.

16. dsheli

dsheli AllStar

Jul 15, 2008
    +1

17. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    1) Allows control of the product
    2) Allows future control of the product (if it does move to a pay service)
    3) Allows content protection because of control of the product
    4) Allows tracking of unique users, etc.
    5) Did I mention it allows control? :p

Many of the content owners (which is not Directv) get very nervous with their content being streamed/displayed without proper control and thus Directv has to be careful just how open they make the application.

18. JonW

JonW Icon

Dec 21, 2006
    Then I have no theory why it didn't work the first time I tried it because I did let it download that time.

19. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    Then there is the DLNA licensing part of the story. DIRECTV2PC is a standard DLNA compliant application with a familiar UI (the HR2x UI.) DLNA with DTCP (the networking copy protection portion) requires activation keys and each key is paid for by DIRECTV to the DLNA.org. (Or DTCP?)

Cheers,
    Tom

20. VATekman

VATekman New Member

Jul 2, 2008
    So I will confirm what other people have said, you do need to download the applications, WHY, I do not know. I have my own domain, so I frequently use one-time use email address, and I tried three times to get an activation code, and only on the last time did I re-download the program and I got that activation code shortly there after.

So no, you do not have to use your Direct TV registered Email address
    Yes you do seem to have to download the full application (all 30MB), I am not sure if you cancel the download half way through if you still get the key.

This is all just very lame.