1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D* 150 HD channels by end of '07... just big talk?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jeffnebraska, Nov 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 8, 2006 #1 of 38
    jeffnebraska

jeffnebraska Mentor

Nov 7, 2006
    Two days ago I spoke with a rep from customer retention. As is typical for those reps, she was far more articulate and knowledgeable than the garden variety reps we all hate dealing with whenever we call 1-800-DIRECTV.

She claimed that by the end of 2007, there would be 150 HD channels available through D*. I have no doubt whatsoever that this claim is false. I will absolutely eat my hat if it comes true. However, I was wondering what those in the know are realistically predicting for how the number of HD channels will change over the course of this year.

Since I'm still using an HDTivo (MPEG2), how this plays out will strongly influence whether I make the (seeming) performance sacrifice to get the HR20.

2. Nov 8, 2006 #2 of 38
    houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    yep 140 ppv chanels and 10 regular :lol:

3. Nov 8, 2006 #3 of 38
    rsonnens

rsonnens Legend

Nov 7, 2006
    I suspect she was talking about all the locals across the US. We need to know what non-locals channels they will be adding.

4. Nov 8, 2006 #4 of 38
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If you count empty bandwidth, then it should be true. If you count what channels that will be available to any one subscriber, that's up to DirecTV finding an additional gross of HD channels to carry. I'd be quite surprised if there were more than 75 available national HD channels by the end of next year.

If the HD RSNs go CONUS, it might be a little easier, but they wouldn't be considered as part of the HD package.

5. Nov 8, 2006 #5 of 38
    LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    I guarantee you that is NOT what any D* CSR person is saying because their own corporate literature claims 150 national HD channels by late '07, which will correspond with the launches of the DirecTV 10 and 11 MPEG4 satellites.

Now, whether there will be any national HD content to put on them is another matter.

6. Nov 8, 2006 #6 of 38
    Jon D

Jon D Godfather

Oct 12, 2006
    NO. There are already WAY OVER 150 HD locals across the US. They are referring to the added bandwidth provided by the 2 new mpeg 4 satellites to be launched in the spring of next year. They will increase the total CAPACITY to approximately 150 national HD channels and over 1,000 Local HD channels. Naturally there will not be 150 national(cable) channels transmitting a HD signal by then, but DirecTV will have the capacity to carry every single one as they come online.

So. Whatever is available by the end of next year, barring any legal negotiation of carriage terms hangups, DirecTV should have it all.

7. Nov 8, 2006 #7 of 38
    patsrule316

patsrule316 Legend

Sep 28, 2006
    Hmmm, I am guessing:

HBO, Starz, Cinemax, TMC, Showtime (5) (Pay channels that already exist)
    ESPN, ESPN2, HDN, HDNM, UHD, Discovery, TNT (7) (Channels we already have)

Bravo, MTV, Food Network, HGTV, NFL Network (5) (Channels that already exist that I know of, but we don't have)

Sci-fi, G4, WGN, TBS, USA, A&E, ESPN News, FX, Lifetime, Spike, TLC, Golf Channel, VH1 (13) (Channels that I haven't heard are switching to HD, but I would expect to see sooner or later)

Distant feeds for ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, CW (5)

So there are 35 channels that I figure are pretty obvious choices, throw in Pay-per-view, Sports Subscriptions, Playboy and maybe some of the other adult channels, and possibly alternate channels of the pay movie channels, and then you can get another 35 to 50.

Plus maybe they can aquire soom of the Voom or INHD channels...that would bump it to around 100.

Plus some things I may not have even thought of.

8. Nov 8, 2006 #8 of 38
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The official line of bull is 150 national HD channels and 1,500 LIL HD channels. These are essentially the same numbers that were talked about in 2004 and promised for early 2007.

You need to consider that they have claimed 67 HD LIL launches before EOY 2006 which, at this point, amount to turning up nine markets a week. My recollection is that they've turned three or four HD LIL market since they made that claim almost five weeks ago when the rate was 5.58 markets/week.

Don't bet the farm on what the DirecTV marketroids are spewing. The don't seem to have much familiarity with reality (nor the laws of physics).

9. Nov 8, 2006 #9 of 38
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Will someone PLEASE provide a like to the quote where D* WILL have 150 national HD channels?

The only thing that I've seen is that D* says they will be able to carry up to 150 national HD channels, not that they going to start providing 150 once D10 and D11 go up.

From http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=127160&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=660036&highlight=
    DIRECTV announced last September plans for a dramatic expansion of local and national HD programming over the next two years via four new Ka-band satellites to support the carriage of 1,500 local and 150 CONUS HDTV channels plus other enhanced services. The satellites are now under construction and two will be launched early this year.

From http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=127160&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=700828&highlight=
    The four satellites will provide additional capacity to deliver more than 1,500 local HD and more than 150 national HD channels and other advanced programming services to consumers.

Other then press releases like this I haven't see an annoucement saying that they WILL have 150 national HD channels by 2004, 2007 or any other date.

Don't get me wrong, I wish D* had more HD right now, but I think D* is keeping fairly close to what they announced back in early 2005.

10. bcowan12

bcowan12 Cool Member

Oct 4, 2006
    Wow. With 150 HD's, just think of all the programs that the HR20 can fail to record. :box:

11. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Rad,

You are most likely right on. I've always had the impression from D* press that they would be capable of 150 HD national channels, not that they would have 150 channels--there aren't that many yet and likely won't be by EOY 2007.

Now, if they did have 125 HD PPV... :)

Cheers,
    Tom

12. mndwalsh

mndwalsh Legend

Nov 16, 2005
    I will absolutely eat my hat if it comes true. .[/QUOTE]

mmmmmmmm. hats, best served warm or cold, I will just sit back and see what happens, it is really hard for me to believe 150 channels but I will keep drinking the kool-aid

13. rsonnens

rsonnens Legend

Nov 7, 2006
    I'd LOVE to be wrong. But until I see list of the channels that they plan to carry, and a date, then I don't really care what they are promissing.

14. upnorth

upnorth Godfather

Jun 21, 2006
    Okay that means maybe 50 more at FULL BIT RATE I would rather have that.;)

15. davidrumm

davidrumm Legend

Dec 2, 2005
    Again from their press releases they are stating capacity for, not will carry. That's the difference that the CSR is not linking to. They read something and change a few words. We do know that with D* 10 and D* 11 they will have a whole lot more bandwdth that will allow for more HD channels. What exactly those channels will be is anyone's guess at the moment.

16. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    The promised at the Investors Meeting on February 22, 2006. If Tech Support makes a promise to you, that does not carry much weight. If the officers of the company promise products and features at an annual Investor Meeting, that could be an SEC problem if they don't do it.

Here is the link to the slides that they used at the Investor's Meeting:

Investor's Day Meeting

Here are some highlights.

Slide 7
    Great graphic of the existing and new satellites

Slide 19
    In additiona to installation costs, D* averages another $150+ in commissions.
    When negotiating, remember you save them $150 by buying directly.

Slide 33
    Available national HD Channels to increase from 10 to 40 in March of 2007
    150 National HD Channels by year end 2007

Slide 37
    Broadband VOD Download Service
    see what the screen will look like

Slide 41
    Hard drive expansion device*
    – Increased storage without need to replace the
    original DVR
    – This is a consumer installable device.

Slide 42
    “DIRECTV 2 Go” transfer from DIRECTV DVRs
    Shows output from your HR-20 to your laptop, etc.

Slide 54
    DIRECTV Broadband Video – Q4 06
    • ~ 2,000 titles at launch

(This would have to be through the USB connector)

Slide 60
    New User Interface for 2007

Slide 64
    Top 33% of customers yield 63% of profits

Slide 79
    The “Hearts” program
    – Above tags co-exist with Customer Value Segment, displayed as 1,3 or 5 hearts
    ♥♥♥♥♥
    Also shows one screen CSR sees when reviewing the client
    (How many hearts are you rated?)

Slide 81
    Best Customer Loyalty Program
    • Provide superior service
    – Priority call center support
    – Next day service calls (same day service in some cases)
    – Free in-home service calls
    – Four (4) PPV coupons per month
    • First to know about new offerings
    • Participation in customer advisory board
    • Rewards
    – Holiday card with retail discount
    – Tickets to CD USA taping for local customer

(Do you know anyone who is included as a Best Customer getting these extra benefits?)

Enjoy!

- Craig

17. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Don't mess with MPEG encoders in studios and transmitters on satellites.
    Transmitters doesn't care about compressions ( Level 6/7 of ISO ).

18. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I'm looking at slide 33 at http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/irol/12/127160/pres/SlidesInvestorDay22206.pdf at the title on the slide says "HD National Channels (projected capacity)" Again, I don't see where it says they will have 40 or 150 national HD channels available, just that they will have the capacity to carry that many.

19. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    No where will you see a promise that you have even one national HD channel today. They offer a lineup of channels. If you call them this Sunday afternoon to complain that they promised 7 HD channels and they took TNTHD all afternoon, they will tell you that you do not have a contractual agreement to receive any particular channel or number of channels.

All you purchased was the capacity of the seven current HD national channels.

They do state in Slide shows the D10 Launch in q1 2007. That is still on track.

The blue line on slide 33 shows current capacity of 7 national HD's now and 40 at the end of Q1 2007 with the number rising to 150 by Q4 2007.

Also see slide 52.

The companion webcast gives the details for the slides:

Webcast

Take care,

- Craig

20. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    Hmmm... where have I seen this list before?:confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.