1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D* Adds 3 More Markets.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by davidrumm, Sep 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidrumm

davidrumm Legend

Dec 2, 2005
    Per Skyreporthttp://www.skyreport.com/#story1, D* has added the San Antonio, Portland OR and Memphis locals in HD.

DirecTV Launches Expanded Local Coverage

DirecTV activated high-definition local channel service in the San Antonio, Portland (OR) and Memphis market areas. With the addition of these new markets, DirecTV now offers local HD broadcast channels in 39 cities - or 60 percent of U.S. TV households.

The local HD rollout is part of the company's nationwide expansion of high definition programming that will culminate in 2007 when DirecTV will have the ability to deliver more than 1,500 local and 150 national HD channels, the company said.

Customers who subscribe to a programming package that includes local channels receive both the standard and HD signals for no extra monthly charge, DirecTV said. Subs also can receive the local HDs by purchasing a H20 HD receiver or the new DirecTV Plus HDDVR and dish.

Existing HD customers can upgrade their HD receiver and dish for $99 per receiver, the company said, and new subscribers get a $100 mail-in rebate on their new equipment.

2. jdmac29

jdmac29 Godfather

Jan 6, 2006
    My HR20 only received FOX & NBC. I talked with Directv on Monday and they said ABC & CBS would be available later after negotiations. Both channels come in very good in MPEG4 and I could not hardly tell the difference between the OTA and MPEG4 variations.

3. ciscokidd979

ciscokidd979 AllStar

Aug 21, 2006
    Does anyone know which markets have the local digitals up on Directv now? Just interested. Was wondering if it goes down the TV market size list or what...

4. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=54698

5. DaxStern

DaxStern Mentor

Sep 5, 2006
    What about the other markets that were supposed to go up this month? Maybe in a few weeks, but we haven't seen two launches that close any sooner.

6. theroys88

theroys88 New Member

May 14, 2006
    No local in Richmond Va. It appears that they are not following DMA rankings with the roll out. Their reps are clueless on a projected timeframe and told me they have
    no plans on adding any HD channels in the near future. This is a quote from their
    HD department to me. If it was not for the nfl package I would dump the dish and go
    back to Comcast. At least they had local hd channels and only charged me a flat 5.00 fee for my hd boxes which covered everything. 110 HD games is not acceptable when more are actually broadcasted on Sunday by fox and cbs.

7. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    It will be interesting to see if D* makes it since these markets were originally schedule, according to D* press release, to be available in August.

8. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
  9. ciscokidd979

ciscokidd979 AllStar

Aug 21, 2006
    What blows my mind is they are NOT following the DMA list. C'mon, no disrespect to Green Bay but Oklahoma City is a much bigger TV market and they are reaching more homes here...Fresno is already up and they're a smaller market than OKC. BS if you ask me...

45 Oklahoma City 655,400 0.595

These are the markets that are planned for HD locals on Directv before OKC and their DMA ranking...

47 Greensboro-H.Point-W.Salem 652,020 0.592
    51 Providence-New Bedford 639,590 0.580
    69 Green Bay-Appleton 432,810 0.393
    73 Des Moines-Ames 413,590 0.375
    85 Madison 365,550 0.332
    112 Reno 255,090 0.231

10. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Fresno is an ABC O&O. A rumor floated around for a while that D* wanted to remove the west coast MPEG-2 feeds and needed to get all O&O's converted. Or it could have been part of ABC's deal for the O&O feeds to get all their O&O's converted first. ABC did not want HD DNS.

Also, market size does not necessarily reflect D* market penetration. D* could have more subs in the #75 market than they do in the #45 market. And once you get above #50, there is much less difference in market size from one to the next.

Also, in the TV Predictions interview with D* EVP Eric Shanks, Shanks mentioned there would be 68 markets up before the end of the year. That is 18 more than has been announced.

And I really don't get Reno at 112.

11. 2blackbelt

2blackbelt New Member

Jul 2, 2006
    Does anybody know how far the spotbeam is for locals. I live 90 miles from memphis. Currently i'm getting ABC over antenna and NBC CBS and FOX off of New York feeds. Will I be able to pick up MPEG 4 that far away?

12. Herdfan

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Are you in the Memphis DMA? Where is the network located that you get OTA from?

13. 2blackbelt

2blackbelt New Member

Jul 2, 2006
    I live in Walnut Ridge, Arkansas.....my DMA i guess is Jonesboro. I'm closer line of site to memphis than I am Little Rock. Jonesboro only has a ABC affiliate and thats it.

14. Herdfan

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Do you get any other affiliates via satellite? Jonesboro is in DMA #179, so it will be a while until HD LIL comes your way. But if you get NBC, CBS and FOX from either Little Rock or Memphis, you should get the HD versions as well. Little Rock in #57, so it should be within the next 6 months or so.

15. 2blackbelt

2blackbelt New Member

Jul 2, 2006
    I get NBC CBS and FOX from New York ...distant network.

16. 2blackbelt

2blackbelt New Member

Jul 2, 2006
    what if jonesboro only has one network. What do they do about the remaining networks under MPEG4 or will I still get those feeds from New York as distant networks under MPEG2?

17. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    This may be a big problem going forward. It would appear that they are already protecting KAIT by not giving you an ABC feed.

I wouldn't raise too much stink or you may lose it all.

18. Herdfan

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Most likely you will get networks from Memphis or Little Rock in MPEG-4.

Where does the cable company in Jonesboro get their networks from?

19. 2blackbelt

2blackbelt New Member

Jul 2, 2006
    The cable company in Jonesboro is suddenlink which is the same here in Walnut Ridge. I didnt know the spread of the spotbeam for MPEG4 or if it would reach out approximately 90 miles straight line distance from Memphis. This seems like a potential problem in all areas of the US that are on the fringe areas along with a local (such as ABC-KAIT) AND no other affiliates like CBS, NBC or FOX. I was wondering if they would keep the MPEG2 Distant networks for that purpose.

20. 2blackbelt

2blackbelt New Member

Jul 2, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.