1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D* already at 5 channels per transponder on 2 transponders of 103b!!!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by vurbano, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vurbano

vurbano Godfather

May 15, 2004
    Well I thought I would get 2 years of great PQ from D* not 2 months!!!!! Anyone else feel duped? Avg bitrate 7.2 mbps. The proof is in a post over at Scott G's site. Anyone want to venture to guess where the next 30 channels will be shoved in? Any guesses as to the channel resolution? :(

2. betterdan

betterdan Icon

May 22, 2007
    And who in the world is Scott G? Got a link?

3. BudShark

BudShark New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Can you see the difference? How does it look? Before you go and throw D* under the bus, lets talk about quality - not just artificial measures like bitrate that tell only a portion of the story.

Chris

4. Coffey77

Coffey77 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Nov 12, 2006
    I believe 7.2MB per second is actually twice the output of MPEG2 @ 3.4 MBps. How is that worse? Sounds to me like they're running it too good with a lot of room to spare. I'm VERY pleased with the PQ.

5. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    He is the administrator/founder of SatelliteGuys.us.

6. man_rob

man_rob Hall Of Fame

Feb 21, 2007
    Some guy on some blog saying something doesn't make it true. I'm not saying it's not, but really, at least get a couple of reliable sources that collaborate this "proof" before you go spouting it as fact.

Say it is true, what is the optimum rate for mpeg4 broadcasts?

What is the optimum rate for 720p, versus 1080i? Could that have anything to do with it?

What other factors could figure into this?

On the true HD broadcasts I've seen the mpeg4 channels are amazingly clear. Don't go all Henny Penny on us until you really know all the facts.

7. Hdhead

Hdhead Hall Of Fame

Jul 30, 2007
    vurbano strikes again! :nono2:

8. betterdan

betterdan Icon

May 22, 2007
    Thanks.

9. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    D* looks pretty darn fantastic to me. I don't care about the math - right now, I'm an extremely satisfied customer.

(ok - I am frustrated over unrelated NHLCI issues, but that'll hopefully work itself out soon)

10. perilous

perilous Legend

Sep 4, 2006
    +1!!!

11. BudShark

BudShark New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    To further my earlier post, lets be fair here:

1) DirecTV10 has ~32 Ka transponders (not counting the 12 spares). So if each transponder carries 5 channels, thats 160 HD channels. So vurbano answered his own question regarding where the HD is coming from. And DirecTV sold themselves way short on capacity.

2) The part Vurbano left out was GoalieBob at the other site says the limit is 6 for those transponders, but he *doubts* thats full resolution. Even if thats correct, running only 5 means they are have 17% headroom. The difference between 1440x1080 and 1920x1080 is 25%. That means it is highly LIKELY, using that sites *opinion* that DirecTV has left the headroom to allow them to run FULL resolution at 5 channels per transponder.

So again - nothing hear but FUD. Move along folks. All I know is DirecTVs MPEG4 HD is currently blowing away cable, OTA (due to multicast), and DishNetwork. So I really don't give a rats @$$ if they have 45 channels per transponder - the new channels are still the best looking HD from a pay provider out there.

Chris

12. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
  13. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I am consistently amazed at the quality of the new channels myself.

14. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Both 720p and 1080i use almost the same bandwidth. They have similar pixel per second totals (55MP vs 62MP).

15. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I couldn't agree more. I like both the new HD channel selection as well as the PQ - it's quite awesome.

16. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I have to agree with Stuart and Doug as long as the PQ stays were it is now I will be happy.

I think the new channels look great so far.

17. Ken984

Ken984 Active Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Bossier...
    Right now its running 16 Conus. Could change at some point, they are constantly moving things around.

18. ItaliaVP

ItaliaVP AllStar

Jul 10, 2007
    The channels look great and everyone in my household commented how much better the PQ is on D* v. E*. Also, it seems the DD sound quality is much better with D* as well.

19. man_rob

man_rob Hall Of Fame

Feb 21, 2007
    What are is the bandwidths needed for each, and how does that translate down to mepg4 bandwidth usage?

20. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Ahhhhhhhhhh, the sky is falling, the sky is falling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who cares how many channels DirecTV puts on a transponder as long as they continue to deliver the outstanding picture quality they have been with their new HD offerings.

The new stuff looks outstanding, so big whoop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.