1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D* Coming Tomorrow!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by beckp, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Jun 1, 2010 #1 of 29
    beckp

beckp Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Well, I'm growing my DirecTV base .... currently at 1 HD DVR, 2 HD Receivers. Adding a second HD DVR, 1 HD receiver and 2 SD receivers, DECA & MRV. All my cable runs are already in place and terminate in my garage. I made a path from where the existing D* connections enter the house to the garage and ran a snake rope already. I have found in the past any work you do to help the installer they seem extremely grateful and they are very willing to spend a lot of time aiming the dish just right (I also don't want them mucking up my house). Not sure if I need a new dish, currently in the setup it says slimline lnb5.

Will post tomorrow how it goes. Question for those that have a LCD or Plasma mounted on a wall bracket, what do you do with your STB?

2. Jun 1, 2010 #2 of 29
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Remember if you want the DECA/Connected Home network to connect to your existing internet/ethernet network that DirecTV needs to have that noted on the work order. You might want to check your order details at the DirecTV web site for your account and see if it notes internet connection kit on the order, if not I'd call and make sure it's added. There's no additional charge for this if done with the initial connected home setup.

3. Jun 1, 2010 #3 of 29
    beckp

beckp Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Yep ...it's in there, thanks for the tip!

DIRECTV® Whole-Home DVR Upgrade w/Internet Connection Kit

4. Jun 1, 2010 #4 of 29
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Good. And just an FYI, if you don't have a coax run to where your router is the installer is supposed to run a new coax at no charge (unless you want a wall fish or something besides the normal install). Just make sure that you have an open port on your router/switch to connect the DECA. Also make sure that all your receivers that have DECA on them can connect to each other for MRV and to the internet before he leaves. I've seen some folks say that after the installer leaves that the internet part isn't working after the install is done.

5. Jun 1, 2010 #5 of 29
    beckp

beckp Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    As I understand it, the new receivers don't need two coax runs directly to them anymore (one for each tuner). So if that's true, I have an extra cable run where the new DVR is going that can be used and my router will sit on top of the DVR (moving the current DVR that's there now to another room and replacing its location with a new one).

6. Jun 1, 2010 #6 of 29
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Yes, with the new technology you need only one cable per receiver regardless of the number of tuners.

7. Jun 1, 2010 #7 of 29
    Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    A friend of mines tv is mounted on a wall and he has his receivers in another room and it works fine because the remotes work over rf and can penetrate wall.

8. Jun 1, 2010 #8 of 29
    nucat95

nucat95 Mentor

Sep 22, 2007
    I, too, am scheduled for the MRV/DECA install this week. I am currently using MRV via my home network on two HD-DVRs with no SWM.

When I check my order online, I do not see a line item for:
    DIRECTV® Whole-Home DVR Upgrade w/Internet Connection Kit

Instead, all I see is the line item: Internet Connection Kit Upgrade

I've called a few times to confirm the installer will be setting up the DECA version, but I cannot actually get anybody from D* to use the terms "Whole-Home DVR" or MRV. Instead, they just tell me the installer will "look over my system and set up everything I need for OnDemand"

Should I call again?

Besides the fact that I want DECA, I am also getting a new HR2X installed at a location that currently only has one cable run. When I placed the order for DECA, the fact that I would also be upgraded to SWM was a motivating factor in adding the DVR to that location.

9. Jun 1, 2010 #9 of 29
    beckp

beckp Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    I just double checked my order online, it doesn't say anything about SWM. Should it or is that a given?

10. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    It sounds like they are preparing to just come out and set up the DECA to connect your system to your home network, which is not what you want.

Are you paying for this upgrade? If it is the MRV/DECA upgrade, it should be $99 plus $49 for the installation.

- Merg

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    SWM is a requirement for DECA, so if they're installing that, don't worry about the order not listing SWM explicitly. Just as long as they have the SWM you need for the number of tuners. From my count, you'll be at 9 tuners, so the normal SWM lnb won't be enough.

12. nucat95

nucat95 Mentor

Sep 22, 2007
    Thanks Merg... I did call again and asked for "Installation". The CSR said I would be getting a dish upgrade and MRV. I let him know that I did not currently have DECA, but was switching. This CSR actually said I was being set up for "Whole Home DVR" service, which is a first.

I'm paying a total of $100 for all of this, including a new HD-DVR. Perhaps the way the other CSR applied discounts is why I'm not seeing everything correctly?

Still a little leary, but I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed. At a minimum, the tech needs to upgrade me to a SWM dish and hook up my new DVR. Worst case scenario would be that I still use my own network for MRV. Absolute worst case scenario would be my DVR is set up with only one tuner (I will not allow second line to be run to location) and I still use my network for MRV.

13. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Actually they shouldn't change anything on your dish. They need to make sure to bring either a SWM8 or preferably a SWM16 though. Without a SWM8 or SWM16 one of your HD-DVRs will have to be forced to use only one tuner. They could get away with a SWM 8 because the 2 SD receivers could be run off the legacy outputs, but it would really be better if they would just use a SWM16 in case you ever swap the SD receivers for HD receivers.

14. beckp

beckp Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Yes, at some point I see swapping the SD for HD, old TV's in those rooms. I would have just gone all HD now but I needed to keep the cost down, spending enough as it is. Thanks for the tip on looking out for the SWM8 vs SWM16. I will not accept using one tuner in one of the DVR's.

15. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Actually he'll need a SWiM16 as he will have 9 tuners. The SD receviers can be hooked up to SWiM provided they are D12's.

- Merg

16. beckp

beckp Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Well they came ....couldn't get MRV working. Will be back tomorrow to try again. Everything else went fine with the install, got a HR24. They really didn't know how to trouble shoot the MRV issue, kept resetting the DVR's and HD Receivers, got a H24 HD receiver as well. They need to come back anyhow as they didn't have the DECA adapters for the old DVR and the one other non H24 receiver. They said the HR24 and the H24 had the DECA built in so those two should have seen each other.

17. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    Go on line and make sure Whole Home DVR is activated on your account. If it is not, you will not see anything on the H24/HR24.

18. beckp

beckp Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    The screens say the account is authorized

The connection to my home network is not a seperate, stand alone DECA but rather the ethernet cable coming from the HR24 to my router. Also, there is an error on the screen about STB services. The tech had no idea on the STB error.

19. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Well that's a problem, you connect an ethernet cable to a HR24 or H24 and it disables the internal DECA adapter, it's one or the other not both. To connect the DECA network to your ethernet network you MUST have a seperate DECA adapter, your tech should know that if he was actually awake during training, if he had any.

20. beckp

beckp Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    They are here now ....pointed that out and he now used the seperate DECA to connect to the Internet and removed the ethernet from the HR24. Still no go..... they are trying some other things ....ARGHH!

Any idea as to what the STB error is all about? It's set to automatic. Also, the IP's on the STB's in the DECA cloud, should they match my local network DHCP assigned IP's? For me it's 192.168.1.100 - 150.