1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D* CSR said D* is going to stop supporting TiVo??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by sNEIRBO, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sNEIRBO

sNEIRBO Icon

Jul 23, 2006
    I've been thinking about upgrading my Hughes DirecTiVo hard drive for a couple of weeks. In order to get to 140 hours of record time on my TiVo it will cost me about $150 (including a new fan).

I started thinking that for $50 cheaper, I could get another R15 from D*. So, I called D* last night to inquire about getting an R15 through them (instead of buying from Best Buy or Circuit City). OK, I'll admit it . . . I was trying to weasel a FREE R15 out of them - no go. I actually got connected to a very nice CSR. She and I went over the pros and cons of upgrading the TiVo unit. At the end of that discussion, she said something that kind of stopped me in my tracks. According to her, D* may stop supporting DirecTiVo units in 2009. Does anyone know if this is true? I've been searching for info but can't find anything concrete. I did find a couple of articles over at Engadget that implied there was an agreement between D* and TiVo that would expire eventually, but no mention of a timeline.

I LOVE my D*TiVo, and would love to upgrade it, but . . . I don't want to put money into it if it's going to stop working sometime soon.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    TiVo will continue to be supporte till at least 2011 when the contrat ends

3. richlife

richlife Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2006
    I suspect that the end in 2009 comment comes from the requirement that broadcasters move to all digital. She probably doesn't understand that, and assumes "digital" means "HD" and that therefore means D* will stop support. Neither is valid.

4. sNEIRBO

sNEIRBO Icon

Jul 23, 2006
    2011 is enough of a ROI to do the upgrade. THANKS!

I doubt I'll even have D* by that time, since I'm planning to dump D* for AT&T U-verse when my contract is up.

5. gully_foyle

gully_foyle Hall Of Fame

Jan 18, 2007
    Los Angeles
    U-verse currently supports one (1) active HD channel to each household (plus 4 SD ones).

6. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    That would never work in my house :eek: So much for dual tuners .. Can't even use two devices at the same time (different channels)

7. sNEIRBO

sNEIRBO Icon

Jul 23, 2006
    The operative word in what you said was "CURRENTLY". They are also currently running mostly MPEG2 for their HD as well.

You can currently get 4 streams into a house, up to 4 SD channels or 1 HD and 2 SD. An HD stream takes up 2 streams.

They are converting over to MPEG4, and when they do, they will allow up to 6 streams at a time into each house. So when they do their upgrade you'd be able to get any combination of 6 streams - up to 3 HD channels or 6 SD channels or any combination of the two.

The IP systems are really cool, but have their limitations. U-verse has not activated their WHOLE HOUSE DVR yet either. You can only get 1 DVR per household, and right now that will only play on 1 TV. Eventually you'll be able to network the DVR to the other receivers, so they can watch anything that has been, or is being, recorded on the DVR. That isn't slated to be activated until Q1 2008 - which wouldn't work for me, and ultimately led me to D*.

Their DVR will eventually be able to handle 2 HD recordings and 2 SD recordings all at the same time. Right now it can only handle 1 HD and 2 SD, or up to 4 SD at a time.

They claim their HD availability and PQ will blow SAT and Cable away . . . eventually. Because they run off of IP, they don't have to deliver all of the channels to your house all of the time. They only have to deliver what you're watching. So they don't have all the bandwidth issues the other providers have. If you're only watching 3 HD channels, that's all they deliver to your house - they don't have to deliver all of the channels you're NOT watching. It's really cool stuff.

I'm confident that in 2 years, they will have their system tweaked out and I'll jump ship to them when I am out of my D* contract.

8. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    still sounds limiting to me if their ultimate goal is to allow only 3 HD streams into the house at one time. Perhaps that would be fine in most situations, but I can see this being a problem as more an more content comes to us in HD.

9. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    It would still be too limiting here in my house...
    It would be intresting to see what the results would be like with:
    TWO HD Streams going... VPN connection to work, kid talking on Vonage, and a MSDN download going in the background.. :)

It will work for a lot of installations, but... the technology has to get there and "here" (as AT&T has a lot of work to do in Illinois)

----

And in that same two years... who knows what will be available on DirecTV.
    MRV could be here in full swing (whole house DVR)... DoD and other aspects as well...

2 years is an eternity in the technology world

10. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I suspect that DIRECTV will keep supporting TiVo as long as people are willing to pay for it, but they will offer you a lot to switch to a DIRECTV DVR, because they can recoup the cost of a DVR in 12-18 months given that they have to share the DVR fee with TiVo Inc. when you have a DirecTivo.

11. sNEIRBO

sNEIRBO Icon

Jul 23, 2006
    Their modem splits the bandwidth - up to 6Mbps for data, 24Mbps for TV - the bands never overlap. What you'd be doing for data, would have no impact on the TV feeds.

In my case, 3 HD streams would be more than I can watch / manipulate with D* right now, as I can only watch 1 HD program, while another is being recorded. And even with 3 DVRs in the house now, a lot of the time all 3 are recording the same thing just so they can be watched in different rooms at different times.

With no capacity limitations, U-verse will be able to offer any/every HD channel available w/o having to worry about launching more Satellites to be able to keep up.

Their packages are comparable to D*s. You can get 4 HD Receivers, the full PREMIERE size package, AND your high speed internet for $114/month, with $0 start up costs. For most people that would be a $25 - $40 savings per month. They're also supposed to start offering AT&T Callvantage as part of the package after the first of the year - there's another $25 - $50 savings for phone service.

12. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    THere are some nights when we record 4 HD shows at the same time, though luckily it is not that common or we would never catch up.

13. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    How long are they guaranteeing that price for? I can't tell you about that package but I can tell you that cable companies around here run promotional rates all the time, and when you're locked in, the rate jumps, precipitously.

14. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Given the impending transition of some SD services to MPEG4 and HD, I'm not sure a relatively large investment in an SD receiver is warranted. Maybe you've committed to not going HD for the next two to four years but I bet you won't wait that long.

15. sNEIRBO

sNEIRBO Icon

Jul 23, 2006
    Are you saying that all programming is going to MPEG4, even SD? Via D*?? Or everything (Cable, OTA)??

Or are you saying that with all of the channels migrating over to HD, I will want to switch to all HDTVs to enjoy all of the high definition goodness available??

I have an HR20 hooked up to my HDTV in the Living Room - that is the ONLY HDTV I ever intend to buy, regardless of how much content gets converted to HD. I will NEVER put an HDTV in my bedroom, my daughter's room, behind my bar nor in the basement. Those 4 TVs will always be SDTVs, and are currently hooked up to either the R15 or my DirecTiVo. Those TVs may get replaced as they age, but they will never be upgraded to HDTVs.

16. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    As months go on: I would suspect, that anything over a certain size would be hard to get as SD only.

17. Mike728

Mike728 Icon

Oct 29, 2007
    So, you're going to buy used TV's when the break down in a few years?

18. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    Thats kind of a ballsy statement... Why are you so sure they will NEVER be replaced with HDTV's?
    And WTF is your prejudice against HDTV's?

19. sNEIRBO

sNEIRBO Icon

Jul 23, 2006
    To begin with - I do not have a "prejudice" against HDTV. I LOVE my HDTV that is part of my Home Theatre, but I am NOT going to spend several hundreds of dollars per TV to replace four TVs that are normally only watched for MINUTES per day. It's a simple cost benefit analysis.

I don't need or want HD in the bedrooms, the basement or behind the bar. The bedroom TVs are both under 19" and only get watched while dozing off at night. The TV behind the bar is only 13" and is only turned on during parties about 6 times per year. SDTVs are still readily available in those sizes at very affordable prices.

The basement TV is a 52" Projection TV that is used everyday for about an hour while I work out. I got that TV from my Brother when he upgraded to his HDTV - when that dies, it will not be replaced. I can watch my iPhone while working out, just as easily as watching that TV.

So therefore I can GUARANTEE that I will NEVER replace those TVs with HDTVs, because quite simply - I will NOT pay the money to replace them with HDTVs!

I can't imagine that SDTV will ever cease to exist in this country. The majority of the people in this country are not going to replace every TV in their house with HDTVs - it's just not going to happen. Is D* going to replace every SD receiver in their customer base with MPEG4 receivers?? Something tells me they would rather downconvert the format and continue to use the SD receivers in the field, than replace all of them.

20. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    No, but I do see a day where you won't be able to buy a TV not capable of accepting an HD signal (regardless how it is ultimately displayed)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.