1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

D* customer service phone communication?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Tige, Mar 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tige

Tige New Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Is it just me or are about 50% of the D* customer service people difficult to understand over the phone? I don't know if it is their phone system or what, but this has happened to me quite a bit over the years.

I just called to try and upgrade my service and spend some money. After about 5 minutes of confusion I ended up hanging up the phone. I'm not going to spend money when I can't even hear what the person on the other end of the phone is saying to me. It sounds like they are speaking through the old tin cans linked with string. It's even worse when they have an accent... :nono2:

EDIT: I should also ask if there is a best number to call when simply upgrading service? Maybe it's the location I am calling...

2. sgt-spam

sgt-spam AllStar

Mar 17, 2006
    I've made many calls to D* over the last week trying to get the straight scoop on what extends my obligation, what doesn't, what equipment is available, etc., and I have been nothing but frustrated every time I call.

Once I am in contact with a human, however, the call quality is fine. I don't neccessarily hear what I want to hear, but I can hear them OK.

3. Tige

Tige New Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Yeah I just called back (at a different number) and got better answers and the person I spoke with I could actually understand. I think it's hit and miss. Like you said, you can ask the same questions 5 times on 5 separate calls and get 5 different answers.

4. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    E* used to be so good back in the "good old days." It's sad to see not only their customer service, but whole attitude to customers suffer.

John

5. w6fxj

w6fxj DBSTalk Club Member

Aug 10, 2005
    The problem is both the telephone system and DirecTV's outsourcing to overseas call centers. Their phone system uses a low grade system that uses a very low bit rate that has a very un-natural sound. That, coupled with the CSR's accents, makes it rough to understand.

6. narnia777

narnia777 Legend

Mar 28, 2003
    I usually wait and call in the middle of the night and talk to tech support which is US based.. they can add/change programming or add/remove a receiver etc.

If I call during the day it's directly to the retention dept which is also US based.

I hate calling outsourced centers.

Jim

7. alorarosalyn

alorarosalyn Banned User

Mar 31, 2006
    There are only 2 directv call centers that are not in the us. 3 are directv owned, wait 4, and the rest are outsourced.

8. Kheldar

Kheldar Icon

Sep 5, 2004
    Not correct.
    http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/irol/12/127160/FINALSlidesInvestorDay2-22-06.pdf
    Go to page 9:
    So, there are:
    3 DirecTV-owned call centers (4 once Missoula comes online), all in the U.S.
    19 outsourced call centers, of which 4 are international.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.