1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D has turned into Comcast, it's ran by incompetent idiots..

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by saleen351, May 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saleen351

saleen351 Godfather

Mar 28, 2006
    I manage a small hotel, about 32 rooms, before I sign a contract with comcast I wanted to give other providers a shot at earning my business, I have D for over 11 years personally after all..

So I head on over to
    http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/contentPage.jsp?assetId=P6500009

I enter my info and tell it to call me asap... In 4 hours, no one ever called...

Ok, I don't have much time so I'll call them using the number they said to call on the website, well that didn't work either. The number they give you requires you to have an account number, I was stuck in phone tree hell, I just keep hitting zero for a few minutes... The chat box pops up on the homepage and after minutes of back and forth they tell me to call another number....

Did comcast take over this dept? I have no patience, this is a business and if our tv is not working correctly I have upset guests and due to the shear fact I could never speak to anyone quickly and easily about setting up a new account it worried me to the point that I decided not to even entertain the idea.

For the record Comcast was even worse, after 3 calls they finally said I need to speak to hospitality but could not transfer me to them, instead I wrote down the number and had to call them. Then the rep told me just to call the 800 number and ask for a dicount. I ripped into him and he finally came out and did a really half hearted job... But I did get the bill down about $300/month.

Maybe I'll call Dish and ATT tomorrow... Fun times!

2. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    I do these type of services for a group of restaurants. Having had DirecTV for years, I chose them in the first two locations. I envisioned using some of their IP controls to have complete control over what was showing and planned on developing different methods for our guests. Found out that any of the iPad products would not work because they are only for home accounts. A business account cannot utilize them. Since that was out, I checked out Dish. They are far cheaper than DirecTV and allow you a much larger variety of packages to build your programming. It is very a-la carte like. Dish Business is quick to answer the phone and quick to get the work done. I have three DirecTV restaurants left and when their contracts are up, I will be swapping them out as well.

3. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    Just FYI, the iPad app now supports commercial accounts.

I do a LOT of travelling for business and nearly EVERY restaurant and hotel I have visited for the past couple of years has had DirecTV service, so they must be doing something right. In fact, the ONLY place I have seen Dish service in a hotel was 2 years ago at an inn in New Hope, PA which used actual Dish receivers in the room hooked up to 19" SD TVs.

4. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Even though the DAFI supports "commercial mode" IIRC, commercial accounts are not able (yet) to create a DirecTV.com account needed to be able to use the app.

5. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    good luck with that in NY where dish has none of the local RSN's.

6. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    For us "competent idiots", that should have been "run"..... :righton:

3 people like this.
  7. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I managed to get them to create one for me by emailing support asking about when I'd be able to do so to access the iPad app. I don't have any real interest in the iPad app since it is far too limited for my needs, but it provided a good excuse to get a directv.com login. I've wanted one forever to be able to access my billing information and activate receivers without having to call.

Unfortunately I can't do either (no billing information and says I can't activate over the web since I've got more than 6 receivers on the account) The only thing my account lets me do that I would have had to call for previously is to resend the activation code to an already active receiver. That's nice, but I've never needed to do that in the ~8 years since I had Directv first installed :) I have had to resend activation codes for receivers with expired activation, but unfortunately it doesn't show the expired activations so I'd still have to call for that.

Possibly more functionality will be enabled for directv.com commercial logins once they finally get their **** together enough to let people create accounts themselves and use the functionality the iPad app has supported for over a month now. Perhaps that's all that residential customers can see with their logins, I would have assumed they could see their billing info, but maybe not.

8. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    I was going to point that out, but you beat me to it. :)

9. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    One minor issue and the entire company is, as you say, is "ran by idiots". Waa waa waa -- and it's 'run', not "ran", as others have noted.

Those D "idiots", if they even exist, may well be former Comcast incompetents, summarily flushed from the cable company as Comcast has aggressively improved and grown their services over recent years. The differences with the 'new' Comcast versus the 'old' is quite remarkable. In my personal experience, it's fair to say that today's Comcast, by far, provides the best programming and services and tech support I have ever experienced with any multi-channel tv provider.

...and I seriously doubt if D is run by idiots, but that's not to say that some of their customers aren't. ;)

10. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    Their was a bit of irony there.. lol
    Calling D* idiots then misusing words. :p
    English Grammar is important on web forums folks!

DirecTV nor Comcast is run by idiots. Idiotic companies don't get the revenues and customer base those two companies get.

BTW, the DirecTV Buisness Service Line is (888) 388-4249.

11. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    again, run.

12. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Now youse grammar guys also missed the run on sentence: there should have been a semi-colon in place of the comma.... :eek2: But I think we can all agree that we like our idiots competent.

13. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Really???????

14. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    says who? as long as the message gets across, that is all that matters

1 person likes this.
  15. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    Correct grammar, punctuation and capitalization insures that the message you intend to send is the one that gets through.

Consider the difference between:

Helping your Uncle Jack off a horse.

And...

Helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Or, consider that punctuation can save a life:

Let's eat grandpa.

Versus...

Let's eat, grandpa.

:)

3 people like this.
  16. AMike

AMike Godfather

Nov 21, 2005
    I also travel frequently for business and I would say 90% of the properties and restaurants that I visit have DirecTV. I only know of one restaurant that I have been to over the past 7 years that had Dish. In metro Philly, it was not uncommon to see restaurants either with Comcast only or a combination of Comcast/DirecTV due to the lack of CSN-Philly available on D*.

17. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    How hard will cable try to push into that area if they get Sunday ticket? or will DIrectv fight hard to keep it or maybe keep Directv only for business use?

18. pdxBeav

pdxBeav Godfather

Jul 5, 2007
    It also ensures that the message you intend to send is the one that gets through. B)

19. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    I must have missed the required Grammar test at DBS talk registration , and the one right before they took my Club Member payment. :sure:

Most times the Grammar slam from all you guys with your PHDs is your last resort to a debate when you've been slammed by the guy who "can't spell" but yet clearly got his point across. !rolling

20. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Insures = arrange for compensation in the event of damage to or loss of (property), or injury to or the deathof (someone), in exchange for regular advance payments to a company or government agency:the table should be insured for $2,500 | the company had insured itself against a fall of the dollar | [ noobj. ] : businesses can insure against exchange rate fluctuations.
    provide insurance coverage with respect to: subsidiaries set up to insure the risks of a group of companies.
    2 (insure someone against) secure or protect someone against (a possible contingency): by appeasing Celia they might insure themselves against further misfortune | [ no obj. ] : such changes could insure against further violence and unrest.

Ensures
    make certain that (something) shall occur or be the case: [ with clause ] : the client must ensure that accurate records be kept.• make certain of obtaining or providing (something): [ with two objs. ] : she would ensure him a place in society.• [ no obj. ] (ensure against) make sure that (a problem) shall not occur.

How funny is that the folks who try to correct the mistakes are the ones that makes most mistakes ….. !rolling

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.