1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D* HD DVR vs TiVo Series 3

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mattopia, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 3, 2007 #1 of 59
    mattopia

mattopia AllStar

Oct 30, 2007
    Hi all,

I'm debating on whether or not I should change from cable (Cox Cleveland) to D*. I'd love to have SciFi HD before BSG Razor airs.... :)

Anyway, I currently use a TiVo Series3 for my DVR'ing needs. I can't help but assume I'll be loosing some functionality going from my Series3 to the HR20 or HR21.

I'm curious if anyone who has used an HR20/HR21 and a TiVo (any TiVo really -- functionality is pretty much the same across S2/S3/HD versions of their box) can comment?

I'll probably keep the Series3 for OTA recording anyway, since I paid for 3 years of service up front (it was a steal at the time).

Matt

2. Nov 3, 2007 #2 of 59
    JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    The biggest thing that is mentioned is Dual Live Buffers. Some can't live without them, some move on and live just fine. :)

I've had many versions of DirecTivos and still have three stand alones (Series 2), not to mention two HR10-250s and an SDDVR80, and I am just fine with the HR20/21. You'll probably get some pretty strong opinions both ways, but this being a DirecTV forum, I wouldn't be surprised if things leaned that way.

Given the HD avialable, as well as DirecTV on Demand, remote booking capabilites coming soon, etc., I don't think you'll regret switching to D* unless you are one of the "can't live without TiVo" folks.

Good luck with your decision. And welcome to DBSTalk! :welcome_s

3. Nov 3, 2007 #3 of 59
    michaelyork29

michaelyork29 Godfather

Jun 22, 2007
    :welcome_s to DBSTalk.com!

4. Nov 3, 2007 #4 of 59
    carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    There are a number of DirecTV Plus versus Tivo discussion threads. A little searching should find you a lot of reading.

The HR20/21 is a stable and reliable product. The major differences between the two are:

1. Dual Live Buffers. HR20/21 has dual tuners, but only one live buffer. You can't toggle between two live programs.
    2. Graphical User Interface (GUI) - completely different between the two.
    3. Menu structure - completely different between the two.
    4. The HR20/21 is the only DVR capable of receiving and recording DirecTV's new HD channels.

Items 2 and 3 are issues you can get used to.
    Item 4 is critical if that is the programming you want.

Carl

5. Nov 3, 2007 #5 of 59
    dbhsatx

dbhsatx Guest

Jun 18, 2007
    I was a Tivo user for many years and was surprised by the differences when I got the hr20 last April. I found dbstalk and the tivo to hr20 survivors guide shortly after. It did take some getting used to but to tell the truth I can bearly remember how to use the tivo in the bebroom now. I have read post from others about how much better the tivo is. Though that may be true the hr20 is a fine DVR that has features I find more valuable than what I lost with the switch.

6. Nov 3, 2007 #6 of 59
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I think that number four pretty much makes any discussion of numbers 1-3 irrelevant.

7. Nov 3, 2007 #7 of 59
    Peapod

Peapod Godfather

Oct 14, 2006
    There are workarounds to get closer to the effect of dual live buffers -- all of which require temporarily recording both buffers, and deleting when done. Search for DLB and you should find some examples, or send me a PM and I will send you my setup.

8. Nov 3, 2007 #8 of 59
    jmh139

jmh139 AllStar

Aug 10, 2007
    I have had a Tivo since they first came out. I still have 2 directv Tivos, but added a HR20 a month or so ago. I never used dual buffers, so that did not make a difference to me.

I actually like the HR20. I still have all my season passes replicated on the Tivo's just in case though. But it actually works very well. One of the BEST features it has over the Tivo is the ability to cancel either program that was scheduled when you try to record a third program.

The HD is beautiful on Directv, and I cannot wait for Razor either!

9. Nov 3, 2007 #9 of 59
    Peapod

Peapod Godfather

Oct 14, 2006
    Actually, the thing I dislike the most about the HR20 compared to the TiVo is the DirecTV grid guide. I much prefer the TiVo-style list guide. Of course, if you use the grid guide on your TiVo (some people prefer it), you won't really notice that difference at all.

10. mattopia

mattopia AllStar

Oct 30, 2007
    Thank you al for the helpful input, and for the warm welcome!

I did some more searching and found the "TiVo to HR20 survival guide" that was mentioned. Very helpful!

I see in the survival guide that online/remote scheduling is also available -- great! I also see in the survival guide that they have a single-cable multi switch so I don't need to have another RG6 run for the dua tuners. Is that correct?

I've never used dual tuner buffer in the Series3, so I'm pretty sure I won't miss that.

I will, however, miss wish lists. I have a few favorite actors/actresses that I have wish lists set up for. It looks like that's a TiVo patented feature so I'm guessing I won't have that.

Now I just have to continue to press D* to try and get a better price. I've been following the HR20/HR21 ordering guide, but as a new subscriber haven't gotten anything better than their current online offer.

11. jmh139

jmh139 AllStar

Aug 10, 2007
    Ah, I forgot about this. The guide is bad, compared to the Tivo one. I found out that you can arrow over to the channel and press info to get a list of everything that is coming up. It works OK, but you get so much more information with the Tivo style guide.

12. Peapod

Peapod Godfather

Oct 14, 2006
    Yes, but hitting Info, waiting for the list to populate, backing out to the grid, selecting the next channel and hitting Info again and waiting again is PAINFUL.

13. Keeska

Keeska Legend

Feb 10, 2007
    For me the Tivo guide is bad. I was very happy to be able to switch it off on the HR10 and happy to see the HR20 didn't have the Tivo guide. The Tivo guide is a matter of personal preference - it is not of itself better or worse then the current HR20 guide.

14. Peapod

Peapod Godfather

Oct 14, 2006
    Definitely a personal preference type of thing.

15. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I'd suggest waiting until BSG Razor is much closer. Improvements are going to be made in both camps and you're not missing anything yet.

16. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD

How surprising! Harsh trying to talk someone out of buying DirecTV.

17. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    Big plus one.

18. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    I believe remote scheduling is in beta right now. I have not used it but it did not look to be as good as Tivo's (note: i have not tried it so i might be full of it on this).

The single wire multiswitch ios also still in beta and not hep available to the general public.

There is also no MRV on the HR20, but you just got that tone the series3.

Suggestions on the Tivo are nice.

You can only have 50 series links on the HR20 (keep in mind you may use some of these in replacing the suggestions feature on Tivo).

19. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    True that there will be software improvements in both, but do you expect either TiVo or DIRECTV to come up with new hardware before November?

20. Peapod

Peapod Godfather

Oct 14, 2006
    It's less than 3 weeks until the premiere of BSG Razor. It usually takes some time to get an install appointment, and I think I have heard that service appointments are backed up due to the HD advertising push.

Just how long should he wait?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.