1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D* HDDVR comparison to *ish HDDVR

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by guitarjim, Sep 14, 2010.

1. guitarjim

guitarjim Cool Member

Apr 23, 2007
    I helped a friend setup his new *ish HDDVR 2 weeks ago. The interface and speed of his HDDVR made my D* HDDVRs (I've got 2, hr20 and hr22) seem like slow clunky antiquated pieces of crap. Asked him today if he has had any problems with recordings and stuff like that, he is very happy with it. Will D* ever upgrade their interface? If not I'm looking into switching satellite TV providers. Their HDDVRs are that much better.

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I'm sure you'll be missed when you leave.

3. ibooksrule

ibooksrule Godfather

Feb 16, 2003
    You need to upgrade to an hr24 it is much faster then the previous models.

4. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    You are comparing 2-3 year old Directv HD-DVR's against the latest Dish HD-DVR's...not really a fair comparison. Try comparing the HR24 to Dish, then let us know.

:)

5. E91

E91 Godfather

Oct 7, 2008
    I don't think the DISH Dvrs are damn bit superior ot the HR24 (I can't speak to the earlier version fo the HR - haven't used them on a daily basis). Both have pluses and minuses and neither is as elegant and user friendly as TIVO.

I had a Dish DVR VIP 722 for 2 years. It was very stable and quick. I liked many of the features. However, the search features were primative at best. Just as an example, I never found a good way to just ask it to get all the games involving my favorite hockey team. I'd tell it to get "New york Islanders" and it would record eight hours of blank time labeled "Upcoming game". The menu system was also a bit clunky, or at least not very attractive. The GUI looked like it was about 10 years out of date.

My new HR24 is just as quick as the VIP. The menu system is far more attractive and the search feature (now that I've taken the time to learn how to use it) is in a different universe. It did lock up the other day which makes me worry a bit about stability. I also find the remote to be badly laid out and nowhere near as nice as the DISH remote (which was excellent). There are also some features that I miss from the VIP series, and I did like DISH as a company.

Still, I'd say the DVRs are a tossup, with a slight edge to D*.

6. ibooksrule

ibooksrule Godfather

Feb 16, 2003
    Have used 722 and hr24 each it's own. Now when you compare dishes new 922 sling receiver is better. I think it has more features over the hr24.
    But dtv still has the MRV which I don't believe dish does.

7. Joe C

Joe C Godfather

Mar 2, 2005
    But..Directv and the cheerleaders on this site consider all the DVRs to be the same and as you know the customer can not call and request a specific model.:grin:

8. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Other than recording capacity, the DISH DVRs haven't changed much horsepower-wise since six months before the HR20 bowed. In fact, the ViP622 used a lot of the same underlying hardware that the HR20 used.

The unfair part is to quantify satisfaction without the newcomer having "lived with" the features the D* DVR offers.

9. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Not even the staunchest DIRECTV apologists consider the HR24 to be "the same" as the earlier models.

10. E91

E91 Godfather

Oct 7, 2008
    Harsh, you might want to check out this thread with less-than-objective posters lambasting anybody who thinks the Hr23 and Hr24 aren't completely interchangeable. This is from just a day or two back:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=183647

There are several on this site who have made that argument.

As for the DISH DVRs, my understanding is that the 922 is a bit faster than the 722. That, however, is not a big issue because the 722 was plenty fast. I'm not sure that there is much to be gained from increasing the speeds of those units. Its not like D*, where speed was a major issue on earlier DVRs.

In any case, having lived with the DISH DVRs for two years, DirecTIVO units for four years, and the new D* units, I would probably say that TIVO >>>> D* and TIVO >>>> E* but D* = E* with a slight advantage to D* (for a more modern interface and better search capabilities).

11. Joe C

Joe C Godfather

Mar 2, 2005
    Sure they do, E91 quoted one of the threads I was thinking about.

12. Juppers

Juppers Icon

Oct 26, 2006
    My HR24 is starting to crawl the same way the HR20 did, the HR21 did, and the HR22 did. It is a systemic problem. Maybe one day they will fix their code and these units will be able to realize their true potential.

13. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Not doubting your evaluation, but my HR24-500 is not having this problem. Perhaps there is something else going on with your system causing it. Even my HR22-100 isnt so slow that it annoys me, and the HR20-700 is working ok too. The two latter units might miss a number or two on a channel change occasionally, but they are a lot more stable recently than they used to be.

14. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    No you cannot call a CSR and request a specific model, but you can go to Solidsignal.com and other places and lease a HR24 or even a couple if you want too.

I have 4 HDDVR's through Directv and there are others with more.

How many can you get through Dish?

15. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    When the statement is made that all HR2x-series DVR's are functionally equivalent it is not saying that they all function equally. Functionally equivalent means that the boxes are interchangeable as far as D* features...not that the boxes all perform equally well when implementing said features.

The first-look documents obviously state that the HR24-series DVRs are faster than any previous HR2x-series boxes.

The D* apologists are trying to be objective, and they generally try and state what a customer can expect. I've yet to see any of the apologists actually defend D* when it is apparent that D* needs to correct a problem...although obviously the definition of what constitutes a problem varies...

BTW, I am probably a D* apologist to some degree...I like the service, I like the equipment, I am a satisfied D* customer.

16. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You can lease up to three receivers and have up to six on an account (if you buy outright from DISH).

It isn't up to any of us to determine for someone how many receivers is enough. Some people like to possess things like rare art, cars and postage stamps. Others want to be more real-time than Red Zone if for no other reason than saying they can. It is their right.

17. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Never confuse personal satisfaction with being an apologist. To be an apologist, you must frequently insist that someone else should be satisfied with what DIRECTV offers simply because DIRECTV makes it so.

18. Scott Kocourek

Jun 13, 2009
    So you can have 6 HDDVR's through Dish?

19. Scott Kocourek

Jun 13, 2009
    :confused: Who said any amount was too much? I'm not sure what you are getting at.

Slowly but surely I am adding receivers, I like the convenience.

20. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    That is my understanding.