1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D* Install Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Brian, Apr 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian

Brian Mentor

Jul 23, 2004
    If I order D*, are they willing to simply ship everything to me and let me take my shot at installing it? or do they demand and installer come out?

Thanks

-Brian

2. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    Because there is some responsibility on their part that things are working properly (especially now under the "lease" model), they will require an installer be sent out. They generally don't even ship the equipment when you order - it is brought to the install site by the installers.

3. sheridan1952

sheridan1952 Godfather

Mar 15, 2006
    That's what they told me when I wanted them to send me a DVR and I would hook it up myself. BUT, I read this on the website, so I will be questioning them again. But I think I know the outcome of that.

For full functionality, DVR requires connection of two (2) satellite inputs from a dual LNB DIRECTV System antenna, and connection to a land-based phone line. Professional installation highly recommended.

See, it says RECOMMENDED, not REQUIRED!

4. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    If you order a unit from a separate vendor on-line, or buy one and walk out the door with it at a brick and mortar store, then you can do your own install. If you order it directly from D*, then they will send an installer.

I'm not sure, but I think some of the retail stores now also require installation. You order what you want, but an installer will bring it out.

Carl

5. sheridan1952

sheridan1952 Godfather

Mar 15, 2006
    I figured that, but my point was that it was on D*'s website that the statement was made. It's a bit misleading, I think.

There they are talking about the customer getting a DVR from them and then stating that professional installation was RECOMMENDED, but when you call, they say it is REQUIRED.

6. Brian

Brian Mentor

Jul 23, 2004
    Thanks to all...

Also -- Does D* allow having a "Bill To" and a "Service" address that differ? Really no that big of a deal, but easier is always easier...

Thanks again

7. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    Yes they do.

8. JohnVT

JohnVT Mentor

Jan 30, 2005
    So I guess that means I'll never expand my service from what I have now. The lease arrangement is just annoying, but I will do all installations myself... oh well.

9. sheridan1952

sheridan1952 Godfather

Mar 15, 2006

Not necessarily, you can get all your equipment from sources OTHER than D*, install it yourself and call for activation. Many of us do just that. You can get your equipment new from retailers, or new and used off of Ebay, which is what I have done several times.

10. Skip Towne

Skip Towne Godfather

Dec 20, 2003
    I do installs for an MSP and the equipment is shipped to the customer. Some people do their own installs but it is a risky proposition. And why pass up a free install? And, if you order a Hi-Def receiver with the AT-9 dish, you will tear your hair out trying to aim it. Hope this helps.

11. sheridan1952

sheridan1952 Godfather

Mar 15, 2006
    Why pass on free install?

How about, I don't want my wiring run along the outside of the house and then have holes drilled though my walls?

How about, I don't want my antenna mounted on my roof?

There are other reasons, but that's what you get with a free install.

For some people, it is in their best interest to have their system professionaly installed. Not for me and there are others who feel the same way.

12. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    If you have the knowledge and are capable of installing the system yourself (including properly grounding), then by all means go ahead and do it yourself.

On the other hand, if you have things all screwed up to where I have to sit there for an hour just trying to figure out what you did wrong, before I can start my install. Then it will no longer be free for me to install it for you.

13. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    SO run the wiring yourself, problem solved....but let them install the dish and terminate all the cables using good quality compression fittings.. that way if anything goes wrong, they have to come back out and fix it....

Where else do you want it installed that may not be included in a free install? Pole mount of course would cost extra, but you could have the pole sunk b4 hand if you chose provided you were able to find an appropriate place to put it for LOS..

Most could install Dual round or Phase III dish, but unless you have a birddog, or comparable meter, not many should even attempt an AT9 install....

14. sheridan1952

sheridan1952 Godfather

Mar 15, 2006
    My point was...What I want is NOT included in a FREE install. Yes, I could do all of that beforehand, but then I've just done 95% of the work so I might as well complete the job.

But then that's me. I'm DIY kinda guy and I have years of experience in the A/V service field, so I'm very comfortable doing it myself.

Someone else's mileage may vary.

But I appreciate your response and viewpoint.

15. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    How about,who ever told you that you have to accept shoddy workmanship?.
    You are the customer,if they won't do it your way,tell him to take a hike!.I can't
    believe that a potential customer,would put up with such crap.
    When D*,came out to install my system,the 1st installer,tried to pull that crap on
    me.This is what I told him,I am the customer,it's my way,or the highway!.I had to
    cancel,my 1st order,my 2nd order was installed to my needs.Don't put up with crap,also if you don't have a birddog,even if you adjust your dish right,you still
    won't have as high a signal,as with a birddog.A pizza dish,is not as forgiving as
    CBand system,with a 8ft dish,it's a precise signal,that has to be adjusted precise,
    or your system,won't perform to it's full pontential.Also,when a job is done right,
    don't be afraid,to tip the installer.

16. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    This might have some impact if you were actually the installer's customer. In many cases, the satellite company is his customer and their requirements may differ substantially from your own expectations.

17. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    We would all like to think that we can do anything that we put our minds to, but mounting antennas is really nothing like installing or repairing VCRs, receivers and televisions. My neighbor who worked as a technician for many years had his mounting plate punch a hole in his roof in a freak windstorm yesterday. He's now having misgivings about his decision to self-install.

Certainly, there is something to be said for the whole concept of DIY, but there are many issues involved and the layman might not consider. I've seen more than a few installations where there were no drip loops.

18. sheridan1952

sheridan1952 Godfather

Mar 15, 2006
    I can appreciate that there are people out there that THINK they can do it and should not even attempt it. The comic strips are full of these kind of bumbling people, take Dagwood Bumstead and his attempts at plumbing repair.

But since you brought it up...
    DSCF1730-edit (Small).jpg

DSCF1731 (Small).JPG

DSCF1733 (Small).JPG

This is the way my dish has been installed since 1998. Up to a week ago, it was a single LNB, now it is a triple. And I would NEVER mount anything to my roof.

And Jhon69, you completely miss my point. I have been all through this board and another forum and the definition of a FREE INSTALL is clearly defined and what I want does not fall into that definition. In fact, I would pay dearly for what I want done, so I do it myself.

I will say this, I installed the dish and had a good signal. When my DVR was delivered, the installer had very little to do as I had already done everything prior to his arrival. He went out there and hooked up his Birddog and tweaked the dish even more. In fact, it took an adjustment to the tilt, even though it was the specified settings.

19. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    I went thru D*,the installer,even had his dispatcher call me,telling me they could'nt
    do it that way.I called D*back told them what I needed,They rescheduled my
    install.A different installer,working for the same company,came and completed my
    install.My way........:D

20. Claus

Claus AllStar

Nov 20, 2005
    Hi sheridan1952,
    Nice to see you using T&B Snap-N-Seal compression connectors, they are my favorite. Let me ask you why is your dish so high from the roof?
    Claus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.