I recently pulled the trigger and ordered D* which was scheduled to be installed today. The tech showed up, looked around, and said I needed to trim a tree because the 5lnb would need line of sight to the entire southern sky. I told him I would do it right then but he wanted to leave and promised to come back at 5pm to perform the install. Well, 5 came and went and guess what: no call, no show. I called his cell and it went straight to VM. I'm kinda pissed since I spent an hour trimming trees at 20 feet in literally 106 degree heat. If I would have known he wasn't going to come back today I would have waited a day or two when it will be cooler. Now the tech can't make it back until next week when I am starting a new job and have no chance of meeting him - pushing an install date back to next weekend at the earliest. I almost want to call D* and cancel the whole thing but my mind could be swayed if they will give me SF for free ($99 usually). So I have two questions for all you afficionados: 1) Will D* charge me anything if I back out now? 2) What's the best way to see about getting SF for free (any specific number to call or thing to say?) Thanx.