1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D* Internet Connection

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by badhutx, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. badhutx

badhutx AllStar

Sep 27, 2006
    I am using a Dlink wireless bridge to get my HR20-700 online. I have configured my bridge and using the bridge I can access the internet on my laptop (Yes, I made sure my wireless was off). However when I move it to the HR20 I can connect to my network but I can not get out to the internet. Is there something I am missing? Is the D* side down? Does anyone know the address that the HR20 is trying to reach?

2. spidey

spidey Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    is it possible your firewall is preventing it? Check your router

3. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    After connecting your bridge to the HR20, did you reboot the HR20? To better troubleshoot, get the IP information from the info menu. I'm guessing its either not showing connected or getting bad IP info.

4. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    MAC Filtering?
    Otherwise your HR20 either: Isnt resolving DNS (so it doesnt have the DNS info?), or, isnt getting the gateway address (but if you're able to get online, it shouldnt be this)

5. badhutx

badhutx AllStar

Sep 27, 2006
    I don't use MAC Filtering. I double checked my DNS settings and they are correct. I have reset (red button reset) the HR20 and I looked under the System Settings and the IP information is there. Again if I connect it to my laptop it works fine. If I move it to the HR20 it can see my network but will not connect to the internet.

6. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    I need to know exactly what your IP settings came out to be on the HR20.

Have you tried setting all the information staticly?

7. funhouse69

funhouse69 Icon

Mar 26, 2007
    It was mentioned in another thread that the site that the HR20 connects to is bbvds.dtvbb.tv which resolves out to 8.3.161.4. You probably will NOT be able to ping this IP Address as it looks like they are blocking ping responses for security purposes.

8. mchaney

mchaney Godfather

Aug 17, 2006
    I know this may sound silly but have you tried your laptop in the same location as the HR20? I've found most wireless bridges to be a little subpar when it comes to signal strength and it's possible that the router is just getting a lot of interference or a very low signal where you have it sitting when it is connected to the HR20.

Mike

9. msmith

msmith Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Another option is to Restore Defaults on the DVR, followed by reconfiguring the network. That clears the IP info on the DVR and then redoes DHCP.

10. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    Which D-Link wireless bridge do you have? I have the gaming router one. Are you seeing the HR20 connect in your router log?

11. reubenray

reubenray Godfather

Jun 26, 2002
    What is the purpose of connecting the HR20 to the internet?

12. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Connecting to the internet will allow you to get DoD (VOD) if your HR20 has the right software.

If it is connected to your network you can use the "Media Share" option. That will allow you to stream music and photo's from your PC/s.

13. badhutx

badhutx AllStar

Sep 27, 2006
    IP Address = 192.168.10.30
    DNS = 192.168.10.1
    Gateway = 192.168.10.1
    Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0

All of the information is static. The laptop and the receiver were right next to each other during testing. The model of the D-Link is the DWL-G820 v2. It has been updated to the latest firmware.

14. badhutx

badhutx AllStar

Sep 27, 2006
    Is there a way to do this with out resetting everything? I have some recordings that I haven't watched yet. Also I would rather not go back through and re-schedule my recordings.

15. hobie346

hobie346 Icon

Feb 23, 2007
    I don't think forcing a refresh of your settings on the box will cause you to lose your SL settings.

All the refresh does is cause D*'s computers to send down the authorization codes to your box for all the items that you are authorized to watch.

16. eandras

eandras Godfather

Feb 15, 2007

I believe that your DNS is incorrect. The DNS should reflect that of the ISP.

17. Juggernaut

Juggernaut AllStar

Apr 5, 2007
    I have a Dlink Bridge configured and working with my Xbox 360. I plugged it into my HR20 and it didn't work until I "Reset Defaults" on the HR20, then it connected up fine.

18. badhutx

badhutx AllStar

Sep 27, 2006
    I will try to change this. I am not sure what my ISP DNS settings are. I have configured my router with Open DNS settings. I will check for the DNS settings from my ISP. Thanks for the suggestion. I will also try the reset defaults. If it is the reset defaults from the Network screen I have tried that. When I tried that "Reset Defaults" it wouldn't even connect to my network.

19. badhutx

badhutx AllStar

Sep 27, 2006
    I found my ISP DNS settings. I tried that and then tried the Open DNS settings along with trying my routers IP for DNS again. None of the 3 worked.

20. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    FYI, some routers do a DNS proxy where you query the router and the router querys the DNS servers. Depending on the router this can be bypassed but it does not sound like this is your problem

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.