1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D* ..Please have a 24/7 weather radar map channel because TWC doesn't cut it anymore!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by dubber deux, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009
    Anyone else think that D* should run a live doppler radar graphic on a seperate channel. Since The Weather Channel coverage of actual live time weather is so poor now ?

Perhaps D* could buy some old Weather PLUS software ? It actually is very good with live time radar and very little commercial interruption..certainly would be a good public service!

If anyone from D* is reading this feel free to contact me at horseathalt@aol.com regarding this possibility.

2. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Why not try the NOAA radar TVApp.

3. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Or the radar maps on TWC (red button) or on the Active page?

4. dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009

I don't have internet at my home....

Also the stationary maps from the interactive channel are not current enough nor do they give a looping factility which helps to determine direction of storms.

Even the NOAA maps don't refresh every five minutes like the Weather PLUS maps do or like live doppler radar that is at various tv stations...Timeliness is really very important ant that means at least updates every 5 minutes if not every minute like on some Weather PLUS applications.

5. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Since you seem to be stuck in the dark ages, buy a weather radio.

6. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Neither of the two options I listed require internet.

7. dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009
    I have a weather radio...But nothing substitutes for actual live time radar maps...it would be really cheap for D* to have this channel and a great public service as well.

Again even NOAA radar doesn't update enough most times. When you're talking about fast moving storms only quickly updating radar is sufficient.

I bet that D* could get the Weather Plus clearance for next to nothing and simply use it it is a windows based program they could simply load it on an old PC they have laying around ! :lol:

8. beachmonkey

beachmonkey Legend

Jan 16, 2010
    Why not get Accuweather to provide a National feed.... I have seen their local feed and its head and shoulders better and more accurate than The Weather Channel.

9. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Because in the time it takes to load I could have gotten up from the couch, gotten something to drink, gone and looked on the computer, and sat back down :lol:

10. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    Why not just have a nation feed of weather scan? or 5-4 regional feed?

11. Avder

Avder Hall Of Fame

Feb 6, 2010
    Here in Fargo, ND, we have WDAY 6.3 for 24/7 weather. Its also a very powerful station so any digital tuner with so much as a paperclip antenna can pick it up.

12. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    I keep my AM21 hooked up to a pair of rabbit ears in my bedroom for a reason . . . the only OTA stations I can get with this minimal setup are the three subchannels of WSMV, the Nashville ABC affiliate. However, one of those is a 24/7 weather feed, which is why I bother.

13. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Then how/where are you posting this from?

14. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    Not sure if this is an option for you but your cellular carrier might have something you can view on your phone.

15. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Where do you Live??? Your Avatar says Earth and most places on Earth have Internet.

Are you in a Cave somewhere???

Welcome to the 21st Century!!! :lol:

16. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    Yeah, good question.:lol:

17. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Perhaps he has Internet at his workplace and uses that to do his DBSTALK thing!!! :hurah:

18. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Actually, with the broadcasters all but evacuating the channels from 2 thru 6, I would love to see the NWS start up a weather alert/radar/forecast channel along with their groupings of weather radio channels. At minimum, they could just show live doppler radar, and scroll the forecast along the bottom. Using digital 2 thru 6, they could easily cover just about the entire country, given a good site with good power. The low band noise breakups/glitches that make it fairly useless for broadcasting, wouldnt adversely affect a radar screen. When it breaks up so bad you cant receive it anymore, then you know to run to your basement or hidey hole :)

19. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    He must have a late night weekend job then. ;)

20. dubber deux

dubber deux Icon

Mar 7, 2009
    Actually WeatherPLUS does the same thing as does WeatherScan local.....

The great thing about WeatherPLUS software is that they have a huge range of doppler radar maps, satellite maps and warning graphics that are uupdated every minute or every 5 minutes always....It would be cheap to buy the program and just load it on any windows based PC D* has laying around...also have limited commercial interruptions but you can still insert adverts around the banner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.