1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

D* pq vesus C* pq

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by convem24, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Aug 5, 2010 #1 of 29
    convem24

convem24 Icon

Mar 11, 2007
    I wanted to just affirm to me and others why I have D* versus C* (Comcast to the uninitiated). I am visiting some family in the Seattle area for the next 4 days and my brother in law has the same Panasonic Plasma I have in Portland. We were watching a show that I watch and I noticed more image distortion, artifacting and general quality issues versus what I see with D*. I know D* is not perfect either but I can see a noticable quality difference between the shows we watched over the last few days in HD from Comcast versus Directv. Also the standard definition quality looked very poor also. If I have my choice it would be D* (If I can have it where I live) or FIOS is I have no other option.

2. Aug 5, 2010 #2 of 29
    rey_1178

rey_1178 New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Florida
    i agree. i also have comcrap in my area and its awful. not to mention more expensive. directv has one of the best pics out there among tv providers imo.only one that might be better is fios. i've always been pleased with D*'s pic quality especially over E* which is what i had before.

3. Aug 5, 2010 #3 of 29
    Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    I switched from DirecTV to Comcast about a year and a half ago. When I switched, I noticed that the SD picture on my TV was significantly better with Comcast than DirecTV.

I couldn't compare HD pictures because I didn't have HD with DirecTV. But I think the HD picture with Comcast is excellent. I have a neighbor with DirecTV HD (though he has a different TV, so a direct comparison isn't possible), but neither he nor I notice a difference in picture quality between DirecTV at his house and Comcast at my house. (Though I think he has sound quality issues, because he had asked me if I had audio drop outs with Comcast; I told him no and pointed him to this site.)

If Comcast has noticible distortion in Seattle, maybe that is specific to the Seattle Comcast network, or maybe it has to do with the way your brother-in-law's TV is configured.

4. Aug 5, 2010 #4 of 29
    rey_1178

rey_1178 New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Florida
    to clarify i meant HD pic quality. which is all i watch :D

5. Aug 5, 2010 #5 of 29
    Hoosier205

Hoosier205 New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Picture quality from cable providers will differ from provider to provider and even within different areas from the same provider. They have different channel lineups and compression schemes from one place to another.

HD PQ from providers ranked from best to worst:

1. Fios
    2. DirecTV
    3. Comcast, TWC, Brighthouse, etc.
    4. U-Verse
    5. Staring at a blank screen
    6. Blindfolding yourself
    7. Pouring some sort of harmful chemical in your eyes
    8. Dish Network

6. Aug 5, 2010 #6 of 29
    anleva

anleva Icon

Nov 14, 2007
    I have DirecTV and the picture quality is excellent. I am still able though to view some of the unscrambled Comcast channels via my TV's tuner. For now HD network channels like ABC, CBS, NBC look better in my area from Comcast than DirecTV. My understanding is that is because in some areas there is much less compression done on those channels than the rest of their cable channels. The rest I hear are pretty seriously overcompressed. Hard for me to give Comcast any positive remarks, but in this case those channels look really good.

7. Aug 5, 2010 #7 of 29
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    While I agree D* PQ is better than Comcast, you can't compare the images even on the same make of display unless each display has been calibrated the same way.

I can make many different adjustments on my display to change the image from great to crap.

8. Aug 5, 2010 #8 of 29
    texasmoose

texasmoose Icon

May 24, 2007
    My neighbor & I have the same plasma tv in our dark media rooms, both calibrated by the same iSF guy, and he has FiOS & I have D*. FioS HD & SD is definitely better than mine, but just marginally on the HD, but leaps & bounds on SD. C'mon D* clean up your 480i, as we can't watch everything in HD, until you get AMC, DIY, BBC, G4, Fuse & E!.

9. Aug 5, 2010 #9 of 29
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Haha.. In reality, Dish is easily above Uverse and usually (but not always, as you correctly point out) above the cable companies in picture quality.

Uverse is *bad*, especially in areas that offer 3HD/1SD service.

10. rey_1178

rey_1178 New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Florida
    I can't put comcast above dish here. The order of pic quality in my area is directv,dish,ota,uverse,comcast

11. ciurca

ciurca Godfather

Apr 14, 2009
    Isn't the lower tier of Comcast channels still analog(2-99), even via a HD stb? I think that works fine on a sd crt, but is brutal on a HD LCD or plasma.

12. skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17 Godfather

Jun 23, 2010
    I can't personally speak for Comcast but Time Warner Cable in my area was entirely digital with a box.

I recently switched to DirecTV from Time Warner Cable and I think that DirecTV's HD picture quality is better than Time Warner Cable's, although Time Warner Cable did have more HD channels.

I have heard that Comcast had terrible HD picture quality and I've seen a side by side screen shot comparison between Fios and Comcast over on AVS Forum and Comcast looks awful. Here's the link.

13. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    My parents have TW and I notice a huge difference in PQ when I am at their home. They don't know any better until they visit and see how much D*'s HD PQ blows their TW cable away.

14. WayGod

WayGod Mentor

Sep 7, 2009
    Just switched from Comcast to DTV a month and a half ago. No question in my mind the PQ, sound and just about everything on DTV blows away Comcast, period. And everyone in the family agrees. I can actually read the DTV guide! Will never go back... I'm glad I made the switch.

15. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Actually with only minor exceptions, OTA should always be top of the list as far a PQ of network television....

16. hasan

hasan New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Something is terribly wrong somewhere if OTA-HD isn't the best PQ, period. Either some adjustment is out of whack or there's cockpit error.

MPEG-4 HD on some channels via D* can come very close, but OTA-HD is king of the hill, and there are technical reasons for this to be the case.

17. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Well...

Yes, OTA has the *potential* to use up to 19Mb/s for their MPEG2 feed, and so everyone makes the assumption that they do, but in reality, a station with no subchannels typically runs their feed at around 14Mb/s. With subchannels, that feed could be *much* less.

On the other hand, a TV provider like DirecTV or Comcast (or Verizon or AT&T, etc.) could be pulling in a feed over fiber before that final stage of compression, and so could be delivering a higher-quality feed than what goes out OTA. True, most OTA stations are actually picked up OTA, recompressed using MPEG4 (with very little additional loss in most cases), and sent out, but some feeds are fiber and are very high quality.

18. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Comcast locally (Seattle) has gone to almost all digital. I think channels 2-29 are still simulcast analog/digital (but maybe not), all the rest are digital only.

As others have noted, cable pq varies from market to market and company to company. There is no "one size fits all" with regard to cable pq. I left Comcast and got DirecTV due to picture quality issues. At that time, DirecTV was significantly better. Can't say that is still true, as I don't have the opportunity to do a valid comparison.

19. marquitos2

marquitos2 Legend

Jan 10, 2004
    D*hands down the best PQ in the nation.

20. convem24

convem24 Icon

Mar 11, 2007
    Texasmoose, I agree on the additional HD. But some of that still looks like crap on Comcast. I can wait a little while, I would rather have D* get a good contract instead of another price increase.