1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

D* sent me an empty box

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Tybee Bill, Apr 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Apr 1, 2009 #1 of 26
    Tybee Bill

Tybee Bill Legend

Oct 21, 2008
    Tybee...
    When I called CSR and asked which box they wanted back, they said they didn't know and to ignore it. I even gave them the order number and he couldn't figure it out.

2. Apr 1, 2009 #2 of 26
    mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    April Fool's joke by DirecTV? I would keep trying different csr's until somebody could identify the missing hardware.

:)

3. Apr 1, 2009 #3 of 26
    jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    Did you try going to the Directv.com website and checking your recent orders?

4. Apr 1, 2009 #4 of 26
    JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    I would not just ignore it, as the CSR recommended.

If you've replaced or deactivated a receiver recently, that would obviously be it. If not, I would do what jeffshoaf recommends and check the web site to see if you can figure it out.

If DirecTV sent you a "Return Kit" and they get nothing back (within a week to ten days maybe?), you WILL get dinged with a (probably $470) Non-Return Fee. I really see no reason that a CSR couldn't look at your account and tell you what triggered the return kit.

5. Apr 1, 2009 #5 of 26
    Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    In the instructions should be a RID number listed to send back.

6. Apr 1, 2009 #6 of 26
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 DIRECTV A-Team

Jul 28, 2004
    DirecTV will send out "an empty box" to have customers return equipment for various reasons.

The "empty" box typically contains:

1) A return pre-paid shipping label
    2) Tape to reseal the original/main box
    3) shipping "padding" inside
    4) An instruction sheet on using #1-#3 above.

If returning equipment...it is important to get the unit sent back out via FedEx (on the return label) within a week, as to avoid an accounting issue.

As soon as they receive it, they scan the label, open the box, and record the receiver ID and access card.

If sending back a DVR or receiver...make sure you include the access card, power cord, and remote (without batteries in it).

7. Apr 1, 2009 #7 of 26
    renbutler

renbutler Godfather

Oct 17, 2008
    They told me on two occasions that they would send me a box to send back my recalled HD receiver. That was back in November.

Maybe you got mine...

8. Apr 1, 2009 #8 of 26
    hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    :thats: :!rolling :rolling:

9. Apr 1, 2009 #9 of 26
    joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Hmmmmmmmm?

Elementary school, high school, undergraduate degree, MBA.....putting boxes on a truck; every once in a while a guy just has to screw around.

Joe

10. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Icon

Mar 7, 2007
    I've always wondered about the return kits. I've got one deactivated receiver just sitting around taking up space and they never sent a box out for it.

…and sending it back by Fedex? What a hassle! There's no Fedex shipping places around here for probably 50 miles.

11. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    You call the phone number for Fed EX they give you and Fed Ex picks it up at your house....

12. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    They send a pre-paid box with the shipping instructions, packing material, sealing tape, and return label pre-printed. FedEx delivers everywhere and picks up everywhere....don't see any "hassle" with that. :D

13. Tybee Bill

Tybee Bill Legend

Oct 21, 2008
    Tybee...
    The empty box is for an H23 that replaced an H20 that I thought I bought prior to Mar 2006. I have always had the protection plan. I had deactivated it because it was in my other house and not being watched.
    Question 1: How can I determine the date of activation of the orig. H20?
    Question 2: Are H23's leased or owned. I thought it was just HR2x's?
    Question 3: Can I just reactivate them to avoid losing them?
    Question 4: Is it cheaper to pay the penalty or re buy one when they get MRV figures out?:confused:

14. HRJustin

HRJustin Godfather

Mar 5, 2009
    When I had the local 72 swap done at my house I had 3 d11s and 1 r15 that were replaced with 3 h21s and an r22. I called up to get return kits to send back the equipment they REQUIRED me to swap.

So I get the two return kits and they both have the return labels in the boxes. I look at the model numbers they requested. Of course one box lists the RID #s of two h21s and the other has the RIDs #s for the third h21 and r22..... I just had that equipment installed why would I send that back........

anyways I called back up and asked what was up with this and the CSR said thats wrong.... of course :nono:. So he tells me to just throw them boxes and packing material away.....wasted shipping of two perfectly fine return kits... Then he sends out two more return kits which I received but these dont list the specific receivers.....
    I just put two D11s in one return kit and one d11 and r15 in the other. I wrote down all the specs of everything in case anything comes up from this. I just wanted to post what I had to go through just to get rid of the old equipment DirecTV swaped out for free so I could keep my local channels :nono2:

15. HRJustin

HRJustin Godfather

Mar 5, 2009
    Question 1: Im not sure about this one maybe going back through your bills to see when it was first activated?
    Question 2: Im almost positive that all equipment now days is leased.
    Question 3: If you deactivated an H23 most likely they want it returned because its leased.
    Question 4: Im not sure what you mean by this. The penalty would be paying for non-returned equipment and thats outrageous. If the receiver is deactivated I would just reactive it for the extra $4.99 a month lease fee. I think that I understood what you said please explain if im wrong.

16. RegGeek

RegGeek Legend

Mar 14, 2007
    Under the protection plan, owned is supposed to be replaced with owned. This doesn't always happen though. I believe you need to reach the access card department to get a receiver changed from lease to own. If the H20 was owned (check older bills if you can to see how the monthly fee was described) then the H23 should be as well. I would suggest calling back and getting transfered to the access card department to see if they can straighten out the status of your H23. They hopefully can also cancel the return box so you don't still get charged. To be safe I would cancel autopay if you are enrolled to avoid be charged for the non-return until things are figured out.

17. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    Log into your account at Directv.com, go to Account Details, then to View All Orders. It should be on that page.

18. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    ...and if that doesn't work...try Pizzahut.com....:D:hurah:

They send out boxes too. ;):lol:

19. HRJustin

HRJustin Godfather

Mar 5, 2009
    Just thought I would note that view all orders on my account has never worked for me. I have checked it every time I log into my account. It always has that "try again later" message. It has been like this for as long as I can remember.

20. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    So true. In fact, the last receiver I returned, I never got a return box, even though they claimed to have sent it. So I called and asked for another one, returned my receiver in that box, and thought all was well. Then a few weeks later get dinged for $470. Turns out it was for the first box that I never received. So any box that supposedly goes out and doesn't come back you'll likely get charged for. Their whole system apparently relies on the boxes and not what's in them, because they charged me for a receiver I'd already returned.