1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D* slimline mounting tar and gravel roof

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by inourgrave, Feb 2, 2013.

1. inourgrave

inourgrave AllStar

Jan 5, 2007
    I am moving and need some dish mounting options. I can self install, so really only thing D* tech would do is peak align.
    New house has a low pitch tar and gravel roof, estimated at 15 years old. The roof is probably near the end of it's life but still in good shape, obviously I want the roof to last as long as possible (5+ years), so I really don't want to disturb anything.
    I don't really want to mount on the roof because I don't want anything to penetrate the membrane of the tar.
    I don't think that a non penetrating mount is a good idea either because putting cinder blocks on top of the rock could cause the rock to penetrate the membrane as well.
    Poll mount is not really an option as the house is surrounded by concrete, so no way to hide cable.
    Fascia board is too narrow to support a slimline mount.
    Stucco exterior on the outside. Is this my only option? What is the best method to install on stucco?

Thanks, everyone here is such a great resource.

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    It is not recommended to install a dish on the side of a house and I believe that techs are not even allowed to do that anymore.

- Merg

3. VDP07

VDP07 Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    Big and gaudy but effective. Widely available. Solid Signal sells them.

Attached Files:

4. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    Why is it not recommended? Granted there are some types of siding that would make installation a bad idea but if the construction is suitable I prefer the side of the house. Easier to clear snow when needed, easier to service when needed.

5. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Plus it can't leak into your house.

6. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Am I missing something?

why not move the gravel out of the way where you would install the NPRF mount. the NPRF mount would sit flat on the membrane tar

7. cwtech

cwtech Mentor

Oct 12, 2012
    Techs arent allowed to mount to vinyl siding. If the side of the house has a suitable mounting surface (ie, brick, some wood siding, ect ) then they are allowed to.

8. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
  9. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    That makes total sense, the original post sounded like no wall mounts at all. I have hardboard siding, the center bolts on the foot are in a stud, the outer bolts are in about an inch of hardboard and OSB and the monopoles are in studs. That dish isnt going anywhere, the only time I have had to touch it since I put it up (around 6 or 7 years ago) is with a broom for snow which I can do from the ground or leaning out the guest room window. That is the way I like it.