1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

D* Sub Channels June??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by dod1450, Mar 21, 2011.

Tags:
  1. dod1450

dod1450 Legend

Dec 16, 2009
    I saw this from a local HDTV email list and wondering anyone else had heard of this. That Salinas California 8.2 maybe on D* in June.

This is a video;
    It will be on Dish and cable too, Direct TV in June.
    http://www.ksbw.com/video/27241730/detail.html

2. Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis Godfather

Dec 28, 2003
    8.2 will be the ABC affiliate starting next month, so that's why they're carrying it. They generally do carry subchannels if they are a big-four affiliate.

3. dod1450

dod1450 Legend

Dec 16, 2009
    So will the guide display as 8 or 8.2 for this new network?

4. Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis Godfather

Dec 28, 2003
    They usually put it on a different whole-number channel, sometimes the RF digital channel number (if it's different than the PSIP channel). I think DirecTV is the only one that puts some locals on x.x channels, and you can only receive those on HD receivers...but I may be wrong.

5. wilsonc

wilsonc Legend

Aug 22, 2006
    D* currently doesn't put any subchannel from a local affliate in the satellite stream. Receivers using OTA tuners can get them from an OTA antenna, but not in the satellite stream.

6. richard1428

richard1428 Cool Member

May 6, 2010
    Salt Lake City"
    PBS afilliates
    9.KUEN
    9-2.KUEN2

no OTA

7. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Same pattern here in L.A.;

DirecTV carries both the local PBS affiliate KLCS as channel "58" in the guide, and one of its secondary OTA sub-channels as "58-2."

Don't know if the upcoming Salinas California channel will display as "8-2" in the guide but it likely will I'd wager.

8. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    My area has three sub-channels carried by DirecTV. They all have separate channel numbers. Channel 10 is MyNetwork which is 40-2 OTA, Channel 13 is The CW (12-2 OTA) and channel 20 is our NBC affiliate on 34-2 OTA. We don't have any of the secondary type sub channels.

9. adkinsjm

adkinsjm Icon

Mar 25, 2003
    It depends on the market on what subchannels are carried. For smaller markets, subchannels could be a major network, CW or MyNetwork TV.

10. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    I'm thinking it may be what the sub-channels are actually carrying might be the key. For instance if it is a completely separate network than what is carried on the main "x(x)-1" OTA sub-channel then DirecTV will give it a solely numerical number in the guide different from its pre-dash OTA number.

But if the secondary sub-channels carry minor programming mainly related to the local station originated material it will likely be assigned a dash number in the guide with the same pre-dash number as the main.

11. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Jon,
    Sorry - D* does not normally carry subchannels of the big 4.

12. dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt Under Suspicion

Dec 6, 2008
    Anaheim, CA
    I think what Jon means, is that in markets where one of the big 4 are broadcast ON a subchannel, not subchannels OF the big 4 stations

13. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    So when you say "normally" did you mean they NEVER do, or ONLY in the examples already stated? :confused:

The point is, D* very much already DOES do this in some (read: smaller) DMA's, as that is the ONLY (legal) way those DMA's can get some primary, network prog locally. (ie: NOT from DNS service thru DBS)

AND in those same markets, normally if a station offers a missing network affiliate for that said DMA on a sub, (in the OP's case, there has NOT been a "local" OTA ABC affiliate for this DMA for over a decade now) that same affiliate WILL invoke "network non-duplication rules" over ANY cable OR DBS companies from importing distant signals of that same network affiliate.

In the case of D*, D* IS now being required to stop offering KGO-SanFran in the Monterey/Salinas DMA as they currently do, & to offer 8.2 in it's place - as that is the ONLY ABC affiliate they can legally offer in this DMA w/out a waiver from KSBW. (which AIN'T gonna happen!) DISH & all local cable co such as Comcast are having to do the VERY same thing in this DMA.
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=187856

As adkins & HoTat already explained, THAT is the very reason why DirecTV (& DISH, too) DO carry subchannels that are of network prog.

14. djzack67

djzack67 Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Chicago WYIN 56-2

No OTA