1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D*TV HD-DVR satisfaction poll

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by tom921, May 13, 2008.

How satisfied are you with latest HD-DVR products

1. A - great

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. B - satisfied but annoying problems

201 vote(s)
    43.8%
  3. C - serious problems but they usually get fixed

194 vote(s)
    42.3%
  4. D - serious problems that rarely get fixed

33 vote(s)
    7.2%
  5. F - terrible

31 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. tom921

tom921 Mentor

Jan 21, 2005
    I was a Dishnet customer for about 7 years and was very dissatisfied with their HD-DVR hardware and software. I would give them a grade of D. I have been a TimeWarner cable customer for the last two years and would give their HD-DVR product a grade of C. I am adding another HD TV and am revisiting the cable vs. satelite question so I am looking for input on how satisfied DirectTV customers are with the latest HD-DVR products. Please give a grade from A-F with A being great and F being failing. Thanks.

2. Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    A. Had my HR20-100 for 11 months with no major problems. Just as good as my Tivo I had for over 3 years before it.

3. r0b0tic

r0b0tic AllStar

Dec 18, 2007
    A. HR20-700 for a little over a year. Works as expected 99.8% of the time.
    0x022d appears to have corrected some minor issues I had.

4. SubSlr08

SubSlr08 AllStar

Dec 4, 2007
    Since switching from a stable HR10-250 to the refurbished HR20-100, it's been nothing but annoyance from day one. From lost recordings to the miserable 771 errors, having to constantly reset the receiver, slow responses to remote . . . you all know the mantra. And in only a bit over a month, three software updates! All that says to me that this box is unstable, poorly designed and badly implemented. Had my HR10 exhibited these problems I would have left D* long ago. My only prayer now is that FIOS soon appears in my area. . . please please V*n, get here soon!

5. cebbigh

cebbigh Icon

Feb 27, 2005
    I've had a HR20-100 and an HR21-700 for about 7 months now. Have had no problems with either.

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Everyone's experience is different.

And, before anyone else says it, this is likely to be a biased poll as it only consists of people who are interested enough in their equipment for good or bad to seek out a web site to talk about it. It can still be fun as long as we respect each other's feelings.

7. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    no complaints here... i can think of a few improvements i would like to see implemented (ie, HD guide)... but overall, i'm very happy with the hd-dvr's...

8. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Looking at the alternatives... DirecTV's HD-DVRs are great. Lots of three-letter acronyms that would be nice to have, but I consider them just that: "nice-to-haves."

9. Crow159

Crow159 Member

May 23, 2007
    B

I really like my HR21-700. It has a few things going wrong with it (missed recordings, 771 error, slow menu and guide) But 95% of the time it does a great job. Luckily, the recordings I've missed have been replayed at a later time. I've only had one 771 error and a reset fixed it. The menu and guide were AWFUL for one software release, but are better now.

With a few more tweaks this receiver will be perfect.

10. topflight70

topflight70 AllStar

Mar 28, 2008
    My HR21 Pro has (thankfully) been very well behaved since I got it (about 3 months ago).

Yes, there have been some software bugs, but I don't think they're much worse than when I got my R15's two years ago. Yes, they were early models, and yes there were *ahem* glitches, but DTV seems to address these for the most part.

11. paulsown

paulsown Legend

Sep 18, 2007
    I have an HR20-700 and a HR21-200. Here is my opinion of them as DVR's-

Reliabilty - C, few missed recordings, blank recordings, problems with the units locking up. Far worse than ANY DVR I have had, but the problem is usually easily fixed with a reset, sometimes gets annoying.

Ease of use- A, I think the UI is the best I have ever used on any DVR.

Picture Quality - A Very good

Features- B, some neat toys that have limitations and are sometimes problematic, but also missing some basic functionality present on many other DVR's. Additionally, I don't believe when someone says that we will have some exciting new feature "soon". I have learned that just because someone's cousin's step brother's neighbor told them that there will be some new feature (MRV), I don't believe it until it is on MY unit. There is a lot of that here, and you can take it for what it's worth.

Overall- B. Could be better, many DVR's are better. But not bad overall.

Unlike many posting here, I have no loyalty to Directv. I have not been with them since the 90's, and I have experience with the alternatives and can compare these DVR's to others through my own usage of the alternatives. Read through these forums and you will see the problems Directv has with their DVR's. I have been with the Cable Co's, and I have been with Dish and used their DVR's. The only real drawback with Directv's DVR is the reliability. If you don't mind the occasional problem, then it is a very good DVR. I would try to read between the lines of someone who posts that the DVR gets an "A" as long as you ignore the problems. They are being deceptive and trying to minimize the problems. The problems with them are real, but not continuous. Read through these forums and you will see. Hope this helps.

12. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I gave it a B, but I could soon upgrade that to an A as the latest 22D software seems to have eliminated my audio dropouts, but that's just since last Friday.

13. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    There are at LEAST 3 active Threads, about the list of nice to have features, no reason to hash them out here, in a thread meant, as an overview of the current product, and satisfaction.

14. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    in 09/06 I would have given a C. Today it gets an A-. I have had only a few NR lock ups, and those were when it was first released.

15. glennb

glennb Hall Of Fame

Sep 21, 2006
    I'm sure btmoore will jump in and rant about all of his DVR problems.
    :)

16. phat78boy

phat78boy Hall Of Fame

Sep 12, 2007
    I've had an HR2x model for over a year a now, very stable box IMHO. I've also used cable's DVR (8300HD) and Tivo. They all had different things they did well and didn't do well. I think the HR2x is every bit as good as any other DVR out there.

I also like the fact that DirecTV is constantly adding features to this platform.

17. bradfjoh

bradfjoh Legend

Jul 17, 2007
    I would have voted a B about a month ago.... But, I gave it an F. With about 10 blank grey recordings over the last 2-3 weeks, this thing drives me crazy.

The PRIMARY function of this unit is failing. I can't give it anything above an F when there is zero reliability to record what I want it to.

18. mikewolf13

mikewolf13 Icon

Jan 30, 2006
    I'd love to see a vote breakdown of CE and non-CE users.

I suspect most of the very positive votes are CE participants and as they are involved and invested(?) in the process this also skews voted.

Please don't get me wrong the CE program is a wonderful thing and I give lots of credit to Earl and DTV for getting it started..but I think the report cards for those on the national releases are much more important as this represents 99.9% of the users.

Of course they may be just as satisfied....

19. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    There was a time that Doug and I used to run weekly report card surveys, but in the end it became impossible to figure out why people were voting why they did. One guy would give an "A" because he could successfully pause live programming, and another would give an "F" because there was no MRV. We stopped doing report cards because essentially there was no real worthwhile data coming out of them.

20. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I gave it an "A". I have had two HR20-700's since September 2006 and added a 3rd one in May 2007. I also added a HR21-200 in September or October 2007 (don't remember when it was). I am still on all of my original units.

Have I had a few problems a long the way, yes but I expect to have some problems figuring I have downloaded every available CE for them. I know the risk that is involved in doing CE's and I am very happy I do. I think all the hard work that has been put into the CE testing that we have done here has made the HR20/21's great units. IMO I personally think they are the best DVR's I have ever used and I was a long time TiVo user (HR10-250, DIRECTV SD TiVo's, and series 2 stand alone) before making the switch. I was so mad when DIRECTV decided to switch to their own DVR's. But after using my first two HR20's for about two months I can honestly say that I am glad they did make they switch I have no regrets making the switch from my TiVo's to the HR20's.