1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D* vs E* HD count thread

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by Rob Glasser, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser Hall Of Fame Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2005
    DISH NETWORK® BRINGS HIGH-DEFINITION NBA HOOPS
    TO NATION’S LARGEST HD LINEUP

Englewood, Colo. – Oct. 30, 2007
    – DISH Network®, home of the best sports and movies in high definition (HD) as well as the best HD DVR in the industry, announced today that NBA TV is now included in DISH Network’s industry-leading national lineup of HD programming. With 75 channels, DISH Network’s continues to offer more national HD programming than any pay-TV provider in the United States.

“Bringing NBA TV HD to the home of the best sports and movies in HD is a natural move for DISH Network and a slam dunk for hoops fans,” said Eric Sahl, senior vice president of Programming for DISH Network. “Pairing DISH Network’s amazing picture quality with the best HD DVR anywhere will make watching all the action from home nearly every bit as exciting as going to the game.”

NBA TV is a hoop fan's dream and the ultimate source for all things basketball, featuring live NBA games every week, basketball news and information, exclusive interviews with the game's greatest stars and legends, and original series spotlighting today's players and coaches as well as the most memorable moments in the NBA's history. NBA TV will offer its first HD games of the 2007-08 season on Sunday, Nov. 4.

“We are thrilled to team up with DISH Network to provide their subscribers with the opportunity to experience the powerful combination of NBA basketball and high-definition through NBA TV in HD,” said NBA Deputy Commissioner and Chief Operating Officer Adam Silver.

Subscribers to America’s Top 100 package with DishHD will receive NBA TV HD free on Channel 402. DishHD is available free for six months to new customers, and new DISH Network subscribers may also receive a free upgrade to the company’s industry-leading and award-winning HD DVR receivers. Through Jan. 31, 2008, both current and new qualifying DISH Network DishHD customers may also enjoy up to $800 of instant savings on a variety of Sharp’s most popular line of flat panel HDTVs.

For more information about DISH Network, DishHD or NBA TV HD, call 1-800-333-DISH (3474), visit www.dishnetwork.com or contact your local retailer.
    # # #​

About EchoStar Communications Corporation
    EchoStar Communications Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH) has been a leader for more than 27 years in satellite TV equipment sales and support worldwide. The Company’s DISH Network® is the fastest-growing pay-TV provider in the country since 2000, providing more than 13.585 million satellite TV customers with industry-leading customer satisfaction which has surpassed major cable companies for seven years running. DISH Network customers also enjoy access to a premier line of award-winning Digital Video Recorders (DVRs), hundreds of video and audio channels, the most International channels in the U.S., industry-leading Interactive TV applications, Latino programming, and the best sports and movies in HD. DISH Network offers a variety of package and price options including the lowest all-digital price in America, the DishDVR Advantage Package, high-speed Internet service, a free upgrade to the best HD DVR in the industry, and six months free of DishHD. EchoStar is included in the Nasdaq-100 Index (NDX) and is a Fortune 300 company. Visit www.echostar.com or call 1-800-333-DISH (3474) for more information.

About NBA TV
    Launched in 1999, NBA TV is a fan's all-access network for everything basketball. The network offers over 400 games annually including more than 100 NBA regular season and playoff games, WNBA action, D-League competition, weekly Euroleague Games, and major international events like the FIBA Americas Championship. The network, which can be seen in 73 countries, features more than 20 original series; exclusive access to NBA events; news from around the world of basketball; nightly highlights; Top 10 Plays of the Day; interviews with the game's insiders, including current stars and legends; and exciting new technology such as High Definition. In addition, NBA TV offers real-time statistics, the latest fantasy basketball and video game news, and Video-On-Demand.

2. Smthkd

Smthkd Icon

Sep 1, 2004
    I thinks its funny that Dish is STILL claiming to have the largest HD line up in the nation. Did I miss something but how can they claim this? NBA HD must be one powerful channel!

3. ScoBuck

ScoBuck Banned User

Mar 5, 2006
    What kills me is the obvious desperation they are showing. I guess since you can't add channels, you have to add hype.

There CANNOT be a SINGLE educated DISH sub that believes they have 75 national channels right now.

4. John W

John W Icon

Dec 19, 2005
    Oh, the irony.

5. ScoBuck

ScoBuck Banned User

Mar 5, 2006
    Does the truth hurt that much? Its only TV. Instead of barking at me - why don't you email the CEO of Echostar and tell him that instead of hype you want USA-HD, or more movie channels in HD?

Don't blame me for presenting the truth - that press release is A TOTAL FABRICATION! You folks just can't stand to hear the truth can you?

6. richiephx

richiephx Godfather

Jan 18, 2006
    If you cross your eyes, you can count 150 :)

7. ScoBuck

ScoBuck Banned User

Mar 5, 2006
    That's pretty funny - but since they only have about 50 national channels in fact, you would have to cross your eyes and WEAR CONTACTS at the same time.

I simply don't understand why the DISH fans take their frustration at the truth out on me - instead of callling up their beloved provider and asking them to explain how they get 75 channels for their ads?

The quote from the OP press release:

With 75 channels, DISH Network’s continues to offer more national HD programming than any pay-TV provider in the United States.

I know DirecTV promised the future capacity to offer channels (and that alone got the DISH fans angry), I don't EVER remember them claiming to have more HD channels live than DISH - until 3 weeks ago.

If DISH were to count all the local RSN and stuff - they may have the 75 they claim - but DirecTV would have over 100 counting those same type of channels - so the claim of having more is 100% FALSE.

oh and from the same press release:
    and the best sports

I guess football and baseball are NOT number 1 and 2 in this country!

8. John W

John W Icon

Dec 19, 2005
    What a sign of the times when a comment- "Oh, the irony" is defined as "barking".

You weren't on a forum called Dish Network High Definition Discussion doing much barking for the YEARS that your provider was all hype regarding HD.

9. ScoBuck

ScoBuck Banned User

Mar 5, 2006
    Forget history, these people are saying TODAY that they STILL Lead - that is the lie. Doesn't that disturb you?

And DirecTV's hype was that they were going to launch sats and build infrastructure for a 2007 launch - and guess what - THEY DID IT!!!!!!

10. GeorgeLV

GeorgeLV Godfather

Jan 1, 2006
    It's simple. Overnight thie press releases went from claiming 39 national HD channels to whatever DirecTV is claiming + 1.

11. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Nor should a single educated D* sub believe D* has over 70 national channels.
    (Nor should we believe you can keep your word. :) )

If it ticks you off so much GO WATCH TV ...

Perhaps you should not be making yourself a target?

12. ScoBuck

ScoBuck Banned User

Mar 5, 2006
    Obviously, I don't 'mind' becoming the target - as I point out that the real target is DISH. James - where is your indignation over this blatantly FALSE advertising by DISH? I have read your posts for 2 years about DirecTV hype, can't you be fair about this? Doesn't the OP press release bother you?

I agree that DirecTV doesn't truly have 70 national channels (they have 63 in my count that I can receive on my TV). so now that I said that - how many do YOU say DISH has that an individual could get if they purchased EVERY PACKAGE offered?

By the same token, my next door neighbor (DISH sub) can't even get 50, no matter what packages he buys. Can YOU recieve more then he can?

As far as my word, I have re-considered - I see you post in the D* threads, and I don't come in here and flame people, I state my views and opinions, just becasue they are different than yours, I won't be censored for that.

13. ScoBuck

ScoBuck Banned User

Mar 5, 2006
    Exactly - and yet people take it out on me - NOT THE LYING sat-provider!

14. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Apparently they can add channels. If they couldn't, they wouldn't be making this announcement.
    I'm with you on that one. Both providers are lying through their respective teeth. Both are counting channels more than once.

I do believe that E* offers more national HD programming though.

15. ScoBuck

ScoBuck Banned User

Mar 5, 2006
    This MIGHT be true - but if you add in all of the NFL HD on Sunday, the ESPN college football, MLB-SF, and so on, it might NOT be.

But regardless, this is NOT what they are claiming.

And I don't know the answer, and personally won't be adding up all of the hours on all of the different channels.

16. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    This is yet another counting thread ... have we not run the course for this?
    How much more needs to be said? Rehash rehash rehash until every thread is polluted.

Enough! Someone talk about NBA TV in HD ... something that D* doesn't have ... and the apparent repositioning of said channel in their lowest channel package (AT100).

17. bairdjc

bairdjc Legend

Sep 22, 2005
    yay now my life is complete

I'm waiting for this to degerate into a E*/D* HD count thread, then someone will complain how Voom isn't "real" HD

ugghhh

maybe we can make another forum for these people so they can bicker all day and keep it to themselves?

18. ScoBuck

ScoBuck Banned User

Mar 5, 2006
    Uh- DirecTV does indeed have NBA-TV-HD - its channel 601-1.

whoops!

19. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Missed the announcement. Cool ... now D* has "80" channels to brag about. :rolleyes:

20. DBS Commando

DBS Commando Godfather

Apr 6, 2006
    Can the D* fanboys please stop crapping our threads? Yes E* is full of ****, GET OVER IT. Who cares what E* says when you guys clearly have a superior line up. Stop argueing numbers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.