1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Daisy Chain SWS-4s

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by botivo, Oct 8, 2012.

1. botivo

botivo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Is it possible to daisy chain two SWS-4s? I have a SL-3 SWM LNB with a SWS-4 mounted outside next to the dish. Three RG-6 coax cables come into the house through conduit. Another RG-6 coax goes to the garage through a seperate conduit. (That's why the SWS-4 is mounted at the dish.) I want to add another receiver in the house. I would like to accomplish this without fishing another coax through the conduit.

If it is possible to daisy chain two SWS-4s? If so, how do you power insert the second SWS-4?

Thanks.

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Yes, you can but the signal will be quite a bit more attenuated.
    Splitters are passive, so no need to worry about power, just dont daisy chain the second one off the power passing port of the main one.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Sure you can do it. It might be helpful to know how long your cable runs are, to know if it is wise.

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Short answer is to use a 2-way splitter.
    Your 4-way + a 2-way will be close to what an 8-way has for loss, but two 4-ways may be too much loss.

5. botivo

botivo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    I have 30 ft of perfect vision RG-6 quad shield coax (3 GHz) between the dish and the house head end. From the head end to the receivers no more than 20-30 additional feet of a lesser grade Commscope RG-6.

...On another note. The voltage at the dish from the PI-21 is 15 volts. I was surprised to see it drop that much over 30 feet.

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Is the cable from the PI to the dish solid copper core?

7. botivo

botivo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Yes. Solid Copper Conductor Wire and I'm using Perma-seal and T&B compression connectors.

8. Floyd

Floyd Legend

Nov 9, 2004
    What is the voltage measured at the PI-21?

Assuming that you are measuring the voltage by placing your meter probes on an unconnected RG-6 fitting at the dish end of the cable, there shouldn't be any difference between solid copper conductor and copper-coated steel cable, since there isn't any load on the voltage to drop it down.