1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Damages didn't record on 8/11

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by DKD22, Aug 11, 2011.

1. DKD22

DKD22 Cool Member

Nov 17, 2009
    I have Damages set for First Run Series Manager record. It failed to record last night, even though there was a new episode (http://www.tv.com/shows/damages/episodes/). The last two episodes (8/3 and 7/27) recorded correctly at 7 pm each evening (Pacific time), and the next episode is on my To Do List for 8/17 at 7 pm.

My history indicates that the show was canceled four separate times last night: At 7:00 and 10:00 it was canceled because “it did not match your show type settings in the Guide.” At 8:00 and 11:00 it was canceled because of a “programming update.”

The descriptions of all four canceled shows do not identify a particular episode, but instead identify the show using a generic description: “A New York litigator becomes embroiled in a class-action lawsuit.”

I suspect what happened here is that the AUDHD listing for the show never updated to include the specific episode information, thereby causing the scheduled show not to record because it wasn’t identified as first run. Why two different explanations were given is a mystery to me.

In any event, my Series List did not pick up the next showing of this episode, which is Friday at 7:00, even though that one is correctly identified in the guide. If I hadn’t noticed the multiple cancellations and had simply relied on the Series Manager, I would have missed the episode entirely.

I’ve noticed similar problems with other AUDHD series links, particularly Underbelly.

I’m wondering whether this is a universal problem, or something specific to me. Did anyone else have problems with Damages recording on a series link last night?

Note: sorry for the error in the title. What I meant is that Damages didn't record on 8/10. There doesn't seem to be any way to edit a thread title.

2. Jim Manis

Jim Manis Cool Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Someone mentioned a few days ago that the original air date showing in the guide was 8/10/2010. I changed my series link to record all episodes

3. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    The 10PM ET show recorded fine here, and shows as "recorded" in HISTORY, with no other entries. The 11PM, 1AM and 2AM, showings were all "canceled because of a programming update. (13)"

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    AUDHD can be troublesome if you have first run only as a setting. They seem to start a series like Underbelly with first airing dates being the DirecTV first airing, but then change to when the shows were originally first aired, and as these are mostly re-runs, it's not uncommon for them to stop recording.
    This season of Damages is brand new with DirecTV, so this was a guide data error [on their part].
    CBS has the same problem with Flashpoint, as it's a Canadian show, that is aired there first, yet CBS mixed up the first airing dates, where they too started with their first airing and then changed to the Canadian dates.
    The best bet is to set these to "both".

5. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    You're right. The episode I recorded at 10PM last night is showing a "First aired" date of 8/10/10. My SL is set up to record episode type "both", which is probably why I got it and not the op.

6. DKD22

DKD22 Cool Member

Nov 17, 2009
    I'll switch my AUDHD series links to "Both." However, the Damages episodes are first run no matter how you look at it, since for this season AUDHD is the first place (and I think the only place) they're running.

Again, I think they just failed to update the programming information and instead left the placeholder generic description of the series. I'm wondering if the generic description identifies the show as a repeat.

You'd think Directv could get the guide data right on their own show. I know guide data problems generally aren't their fault, but this one seems like it must be, since they're the network in this case and therefore the ultimate source of the information.

In any event, the clear message is that anyone who has Damages on a First Run Series Link probably missed last night's episode. That episode repeats on Friday, but a First Run Series Link probably won't pick that up. So it would be advisable to manually record that episode before it's too late.

7. jagrim

jagrim Hall Of Fame

Aug 25, 2006
    Had the same issue. Damages did not record last night so I have set a record for Friday night. Nothing realty lost as I am finishing up Season 3.

8. heidic

heidic Cool Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Thanks for the notice! I am a few weeks behind in watching and would not have realized an episode was missing until it was too late.

9. pfueri

pfueri Godfather

Jan 22, 2007
    Directv screwed up again ! People don't you and I pay a lot of money for a dvr and dvr service and programing so the shows we want to record automatically record ! So why the dumb asses at Directv can't get it to work ! This is not the first time stuff like this has happened . If we have to check every day to see if things are going to record then why even bother with series links . Just saying it's getting redamdickulious !!

10. DKD22

DKD22 Cool Member

Nov 17, 2009
    I have to disagree. I have 50 SLs set up, and this kind of failure is quite rare. I can think of twice it's happened in the last year, and both times it was because of bad guide data, rather than anything intrinsic to the DVR. I'd rather this kind of thing never happen, but I've had failures of electricity, land line and wireless phone service, and internet service happen far more often than DTV failures.

I think it's ridiculous that DTV doesn't have HD versions of basic cable channels that carry significant new programming (e.g., AMC, BBCA). But based on my own personal experience, I don't have any complaints about the reliability of the system.

11. pfueri

pfueri Godfather

Jan 22, 2007
    If it happens more than one time is really not acceptable ! This has happened more than one time every year since I have had an HR20-700 DVR and that has been from 2006 till this past Wednesday . The shows so far this year that DirecTv screwed up for me are Flashpoint ,Chase ,and Damages ! It is up to Directv to make sure this stuff is correct not mine . I have a job and that is what I pay DirecTv for ! So if half ass service is ok for you then that's you not me . Things like this and people thinking well in that's ok or good enough is why the country is in the shape it's in ! Like our congress .

12. SaLance

SaLance AllStar

Apr 3, 2011
    Absolutely! I mean, yesterday I got a flat tire, because of a nail on the road! I had to change the tire myself! I mean, its not my responsibility to keep the roads clean, thats what I pay taxes for!!!

13. pfueri

pfueri Godfather

Jan 22, 2007
    Come on get real ! You are taking the post a little too far . Come on man don't we all want to get what we pay for ? I don't know about you but to me DirecTv cost a lot of money for it not to work all the time . That should not be much to ask !

14. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    "Come on" it's merely TV, and this thread is about one episode that had the wrong date for those that had first run only set, and even those could record it two days later.
    Flashpoint is/was due to CBS, so not sure how/why that is DirecTV's fault.
    To be this critical, you must live in a perfect world, where you make zero mistakes yourself, IMO.

15. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Agreed VOS. It could also be downloaded from VOD.

16. Blurayfan

Blurayfan Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Illinois
    You could record the encore on friday. However the encore includes on screen descriptions or extra details of scenes.

17. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Damages is a bit different as it's on their own channel, but when it happens on other channels it's really not DirecTVs, or any of the other providers fault. It's either bad data from the channel, or an error from Tribune.

18. SaLance

SaLance AllStar

Apr 3, 2011
    I agree I took it to ridiculous, but your reaction was about the same as my reaction to your post. I can see your point on principle, but it comes to a point where you have to draw a line. Everyone has their own ridiculous line, for some, if the batteries in the remote die, they should not be charged a bill until a tech comes out to replace it. Just trying to give you my perspective on the Damages issue